Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 711121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Platinum is Cheap !!! Who's Buying

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    If you look around, you will find platinum premiums for not much more then gold. I've commonly found $60/oz with the platinum noble. Not as good as you can find with gold, but better then you can find with silver.
    i can regularly find silver at or below spot on trips to coin shows or lcs's. it is in 90% pre '65 coins - even halfs of kennedys, franklins and walkers

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    i can regularly find silver at or below spot on trips to coin shows or lcs's. it is in 90% pre '65 coins - even halfs of kennedys, franklins and walkers
    That's good to know, I could not find the same on such trips (below spot price). What region are you in to find this? The premiums I'm basing on is what you can find at most online bullion dealers or local coin/bullion stores. The last time I looked, spread for common pre '65 silver coins ("junk silver") was greater then I could for common 1 oz silver bullion (such as eagles and maples).

However, even with similar premiums -- I would pick platinum over silver because storage space is also at a premium where I live.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”

H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    That's good to know, I could not find the same on such trips (below spot price). What region are you in to find this? The premiums I'm basing on is what you can find at most online bullion dealers or local coin/bullion stores. The last time I looked, spread for common pre '65 silver coins ("junk silver") was greater then I could for common 1 oz silver bullion (such as eagles and maples).

However, even with similar premiums -- I would pick platinum over silver because storage space is also at a premium where I live.
    mid west coast of florida, just last month at a semi annual coin show. my friend and i went and found a lot of it at 12 x face when the spot was about $12.15 x face. maybe just a coincidence but there were at least a half dozen tables that we drew down from. he got the first batch which included quarters and dimes, then i started finding halfs and we both went home heavy.
    Last edited by maxwellsilverhammer; 11-27-2017 at 08:54 PM.

I still buy palladium coins and bars

Quote Originally Posted by MrIdahoSp View Post
    I still buy palladium coins and bars
    Good for you. Do you think they will hold value over time better the than platinum -- or is this just a short term trading ploy? Don't know many (if any) here who do buy palladium (it's far less then platinum), so would be interested in your take. Even when palladium was at considerable lower levels, I did not buy because their premium percentage looked to be far higher then with plat bullion.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”

H.L. Mencken

$900 is back . . Who's buying here?

Buying here boss -- at sub 900, nice to trade away the seemingly endless flow of bankster digits at "sale prices" for something of real solid substance, at a 360/oz discount under gold, for what I consider as good as gold.

I'm going for plat nobles now, as they seem to have the lowest buy-sell spread (and I will never get why anyone would prefer bars over rounds of artistic quality) -- any others here care to report what physical plat bullion they are getting?

H.L. Mencken

I like APEs, but their premium is still a bit high (that cost more than when I bought them at the list dip below $900, and this dip is a few dollars lower). Hoping that if these low prices stick, the premium will reduce or I'll just buy newly minted 2018 ones since they are minted under a lower metal price. If I can get fractionals at the same or lower price/ounce as ounce coins, I buy those. Seems like the 1/2oz coins are equal or less at most places right now.

Quote Originally Posted by suemarkp View Post
    I like APEs, but their premium is still a bit high (that cost more than when I bought them at the list dip below $900, and this dip is a few dollars lower). Hoping that if these low prices stick, the premium will reduce or I'll just buy newly minted 2018 ones since they are minted under a lower metal price. If I can get fractionals at the same or lower price/ounce as ounce coins, I buy those. Seems like the 1/2oz coins are equal or less at most places right now.
    I like APE's the best of all plat bullion, and got a bunch of 1/2 ozers for as low a per/oz premium as full ouncers. However, the nobles are also handsome coins, rather universally known among those who deal in platinum, and with gold like premiums -- you might want to check into them if you already have you fill of Eagles. I also like the Queen's Beast series, which I have found at lower premiums then plat maples or philharmonic. (Though best looking queens beast is the 2 oz silver bullion IMO).

H.L. Mencken

PT under $900 has me worried here, it could go either way, with electric cars that don't use any PT all the rage it seems in the yrs to come, im worried PT could drop to $500 or lower here, but on the other hand all the other uses for PT could make up the difference and $880PT could be the buy of the decade, decisions decisions.
    "If Americans ever allow banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless"
    Thomas Jefferson

"the FED is a bank"

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared."
    Thomas Jefferson

"US debt is US$20Trillion" and counting