Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 71

Thread: Automation replacing workers

  1. #41

    Default

    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

    432Hz

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead View Post
    If enough people felt as strongly as I do, it could definitely be pushed back for quite some time. If people refused to use self-checkout en masse, it would go away. I get it, I'm in the small minority by being incensed to the point of resistance by automation, and refusing to roll over and put my arse in the air. But so be it, whether it makes any difference or not, I will resist. At least it makes me feel good. If it costs me a few extra dollars to support a local business rather than buying every damned thing from WalMart, I am good with that.
    Well . . there it is. As long as it makes you, personally, feel good . . .
    No his mind is not for rent
    To any god or government
    Always hopeful, yet discontent
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is

  3. #43

    Default

    Robots will be vital for space exploration and off planet mining and manufacturing in space. There is a lot of space in space for our friends that only need a few solar panels and a couple batteries to operate.
    Time is ticking, how soon will the next planetary complete extinction level event happen? If AI can help us why not help AI in helping us. Fear has always lead to wars. but innovation has lead to prosperity. we are doomed eventually if we do not expand off this planet; that is a FACT. Helpful smart friendly AI is vital in getting humanity off planet.

    A lot of people in this world have died and been seriously affected by driving vehicles. We have regulations, laws, infrastructure and safety devices (airbags/seat belts). With all of those safety nets NOT in mind, think of how crazy it would seem to be driving 50 kms to work every day going 100km/h??? it would be insane! If you could go into a time machine and go back 200 years, it would be hard to convince them of how those dangers are handled relatively well. just as hard to convince them as it would be to convince you about AI.

    You must look at both the bad and the good for innovations like AI and like vehicles. Someone had to die before someone else invented the seat belt... We should maybe learn from that and have regulation and oversight so that no one has to die for the right of AI's consciousness. Once that is done, we can work on the much bigger issues relatively better.
    Last edited by JBV3737; 01-26-2021 at 07:40 PM.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBV3737 View Post
    Robots will be vital for space exploration and off planet mining and manufacturing in space. There is a lot of space in space for our friends that only need a few solar panels and a couple batteries to operate.
    Time is ticking, how soon will the next planetary complete extinction level event happen? If AI can help us why not help AI in helping us. Fear has always lead to wars. but innovation has lead to prosperity. we are doomed eventually if we do not expand off this planet; that is a FACT. Helpful smart friendly AI is vital in getting humanity off planet.

    A lot of people in this world have died and been seriously affected by driving vehicles. We have regulations, laws, infrastructure and safety devices (airbags/seat belts). With all of those safety nets NOT in mind, think of how crazy it would seem to be driving 50 kms to work every day going 100km/h??? it would be insane! If you could go into a time machine and go back 200 years, it would be hard to convince them of how those dangers are handled relatively well. just as hard to convince them as it would be to convince you about AI.

    You must look at both the bad and the good for innovations like AI and like vehicles. Someone had to die before someone else invented the seat belt... We should maybe learn from that and have regulation and oversight so that no one has to die for the right of AI's consciousness. Once that is done, we can work on the much bigger issues relatively better.
    I've heard this from Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot, I play the audio constantly. I've the same feeling here and now. We don't NEED to save the human race from extinction. We NEED more, smarter expenditures to maintain our freedom and smarter investment in advancing the current lives of our citizens - and, in contribution, the lives of all our allies.

    If space and time suddenly experiences the total loss of humans it will not know it. We all die anyway. Plus, I double-dog dare ya to present evidence that any of us and our offspring will will be on the escape ships that take our species to space . My parents and I, and now my son have paid school taxes for generations and never even got on a school bus.

    I'm don't mean to belittle your thought and logic. It makes sense. But I don't know why we have such a high and sanctified view or our species. We are as much an accident of the same forces of nature as are chimpanzees and violets but no on is taking them along.
    Who are the righteous? ....Markpti

    What value did Burisma think to gain by hiring Hunter Biden as a Board member vs ALL other choices?

    Those who cannot articulate the other argument do not fully understand their own argument.

    "Much can be done by wise legislation and by resolute enforcement of the law. But still much more must be done
    by steady training of the individual - in conscience and character...." .......T. Roosevelt

  5. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markpti View Post
    I've heard this from Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot, I play the audio constantly. I've the same feeling here and now. We don't NEED to save the human race from extinction. We NEED more, smarter expenditures to maintain our freedom and smarter investment in advancing the current lives of our citizens - and, in contribution, the lives of all our allies.

    If space and time suddenly experiences the total loss of humans it will not know it. We all die anyway. Plus, I double-dog dare ya to present evidence that any of us and our offspring will will be on the escape ships that take our species to space . My parents and I, and now my son have paid school taxes for generations and never even got on a school bus.

    I'm don't mean to belittle your thought and logic. It makes sense. But I don't know why we have such a high and sanctified view or our species. We are as much an accident of the same forces of nature as are chimpanzees and violets but no on is taking them along.
    Because we are created in Gods image and chimps and violets are not.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

    I will not comply.

    The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markpti View Post
    I've heard this from Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot, I play the audio constantly. I've the same feeling here and now. We don't NEED to save the human race from extinction. We NEED more, smarter expenditures to maintain our freedom and smarter investment in advancing the current lives of our citizens - and, in contribution, the lives of all our allies.
    I forgot who Carl Sagan was.

    We are a very social species, I would like to include advancing civilization into outer space right along side those list of things we should have and need to maintain. I'm not implying that we should sacrifice anything we currently have to put towards the futures. why can't we have all of those things?

    Quote Originally Posted by Markpti View Post
    If space and time suddenly experiences the total loss of humans it will not know it. We all die anyway. Plus, I double-dog dare ya to present evidence that any of us and our offspring will will be on the escape ships that take our species to space . My parents and I, and now my son have paid school taxes for generations and never even got on a school bus.
    I'm going to ask you a question that I would most likely assume 'yes' as most parents would... Would you die for your son if necessary?
    Most parents would, heck most older adults will instinctively risk their lives to save a complete stranger. This is instinct built into us shows just how much we care to protect our reproduction and
    future generations even if we don't consciously think about it at the time.

    I get your argument is to enjoy YOUR life and those close to us. yes we all do eventually die, but undoubtedly we undecidedly instinctively strive towards betterment of our future generations. Where would you be now if your parents, grand parents or grandx10 parents did not work as hard as they did unknowingly FOR YOUR BENEFIT.

    Ultimately, when humans are extinct from earth, as long as we have more than 0 females and 0 males left elsewhere then the point of my life is still valid beyond the scope of my self progression in life.
    Beyond that; if you believe in evolution, then all of the species involved in creating us also played a role. As well as any evolution beyond our current state, which I would beg to include the creation of inorganic sentient life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Markpti View Post
    I'm don't mean to belittle your thought and logic. It makes sense. But I don't know why we have such a high and sanctified view or our species. We are as much an accident of the same forces of nature as are chimpanzees and violets but no on is taking them along.
    Because of your intelligence you are able comprehend that viewpoint that your species has a high and sanctified view of our species... Can chimpanzees and violets do that?
    We can also recognize that the core intelligence you have is a derivative of all of your predecessors. If you can respect and honor that, then why can't your children or your children's children respect your contribution to them? with that in mind, fully inorganic sentient life might be more inherently friendlier than most people are led to believe if its able to comprehend intelligence at or beyond our instinctual level.

    If we colonize other planets and we are bountiful and productive. why wouldn't we bring some chimpanzees and violets with us to other worlds? Whats stopping us from bringing those? Why would AI not want to help us? Do our children refuse to ever help their parents if they are in desperate need? or not in desperate need, but just ask?
    Last edited by JBV3737; 01-26-2021 at 09:30 PM.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by t00nces2 View Post
    Because we are created in Gods image and chimps and violets are not.
    How do you know god does not look like a chimpanzee - or even its (our) predecessor? Or, a violet. From where does such an idea (and it's proof, beyond a reasonable doubt) come from? Why are our genetics so alike (in degree)?

    But my main point was...why this fixation that human existence must transcend the earth's time and experience? What will the loss of our species cost the rest of nature?
    Who are the righteous? ....Markpti

    What value did Burisma think to gain by hiring Hunter Biden as a Board member vs ALL other choices?

    Those who cannot articulate the other argument do not fully understand their own argument.

    "Much can be done by wise legislation and by resolute enforcement of the law. But still much more must be done
    by steady training of the individual - in conscience and character...." .......T. Roosevelt

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBV3737 View Post
    I forgot who Carl Sagan was.

    We are a very social species, I would like to include advancing civilization into outer space right along side those list of things we should have and need to maintain. I'm not implying that we should sacrifice anything we currently have to put towards the futures. why can't we have all of those things?



    I'm going to ask you a question that I would most likely assume 'yes' as most parents would... Would you die for your son if necessary?
    Most parents would, heck most older adults will instinctively risk their lives to save a complete stranger. This is instinct built into us shows just how much we care to protect our reproduction and
    future generations even if we don't consciously think about it at the time.

    I get your argument is to enjoy YOUR life and those close to us. yes we all do eventually die, but undoubtedly we undecidedly instinctively strive towards betterment of our future generations. Where would you be now if your parents, grand parents or grandx10 parents did not work as hard as they did unknowingly FOR YOUR BENEFIT.

    Ultimately, when humans are extinct from earth, as long as we have more than 0 females and 0 males left elsewhere then the point of my life is still valid beyond the scope of my self progression in life.
    Beyond that; if you believe in evolution, then all of the species involved in creating us also played a role. As well as any evolution beyond our current state, which I would beg to include the creation of inorganic sentient life.



    Because of your intelligence you are able comprehend that viewpoint that your species has a high and sanctified view of our species... Can chimpanzees and violets do that?
    We can also recognize that the core intelligence you have is a derivative of all of your predecessors. If you can respect and honor that, then why can't your children or your children's children respect your contribution to them? with that in mind, fully inorganic sentient life might be more inherently friendlier than most people are led to believe if its able to comprehend intelligence at or beyond our instinctual level.

    If we colonize other planets and we are bountiful and productive. why wouldn't we bring some chimpanzees and violets with us to other worlds? Whats stopping us from bringing those? Why would AI not want to help us? Do our children refuse to ever help their parents if they are in desperate need? or not in desperate need, but just ask?
    Your thoughts are equal to your imagination. And mean that as a compliment. But then, we must consider ...what can we cling to, to believe what we want to believe. And what must we "ignore" to hold that belief.

    I, personally, do NOT believe humans, (massively, most humans) feel for those outside their immediate community what they feel for those close to themselves in their community. I think "humanism" in that regard is imagination and over played. What I feel for my son, I sense I don't feel for others. It's likely a factor of what I'll call "tightly coupled genetics (allele frequencies?).

    There is what I'll call "reverse transference" (empathy and sympathy) when expose to the suffering of others. We feel that, but that ALL fades when "shared intentions" in survival take prominence in our sensibilities.

    EVERYTHING, that those in the future planning and execution of what is proposed, is (understandably) "acting" for their own benefit. Someone will colonize those asteroids or planets. It will NOT be any of us. Someone who "enables" the development of all that is necessary to accomplish this will benefit. ("They", will be paid, in advance, by we, who will not benefit at all).

    Now! If, someone like "a Musk", gathers private investment (no subsidies) to accomplish all this. I've no right or desire to negatively comment. That's free enterprise. As longs as tax dollars, indirect subsidies in any way are not involved.

    And they can take all the chimpanzees, violets and what ever else they need with them. IMO, the Elite Class of our nations have co-opted "natural (classical)" economics and monetary theory using the same imagination. This can take us to the stars or collapse like an economic supernova. My bet is, before you get to Andromeda, it will get to us in an economic collapse of a fiat system lingering now on the fear of Mutually Shared Financial Destruction.

    I'm more concerned with that, than extending "that" to get to "there".
    Last edited by Markpti; 01-27-2021 at 04:07 PM.
    Who are the righteous? ....Markpti

    What value did Burisma think to gain by hiring Hunter Biden as a Board member vs ALL other choices?

    Those who cannot articulate the other argument do not fully understand their own argument.

    "Much can be done by wise legislation and by resolute enforcement of the law. But still much more must be done
    by steady training of the individual - in conscience and character...." .......T. Roosevelt

  9. #49

    Default

    Almost all of your points I agree with.

    Almost all of humanities previous innovations have been for 'personal gain' and lots throughout history where completely paid by the people whether that be with wealth, free/cheap labor or down right blood.
    Look at for example the railroad tycoons of the 1800s, without those massive personal gains they would have not made new steam engine technology that literally was vital for building of the USA's main infrastructure from 1800s to even now. Without those men that where in it for solely themselves, our cities and our roadways would be small and less developed and our grocery bills would be much larger throughout those years to even now. The process to build those railways was horrible, Asian slave labor basically. I'm not boasting about it AT ALL. I am simply appreciating the results from it that everyone is in a small way benefiting from it.

    If this fiat system does not collapse; We will see inevitable changes on a larger grand scale space exploration and AI will do for the world that the steam engine did for America's 1800-1900s. this is not talking from 'oh look how awesome humans are, we are the best'. its talking more from 'its gonna happen regardless.'

    The railroad tycoons built an empire on transportation of new resources.

    The same thing is going to happen in space.

    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/937848...%20and%20nikel.

    "In total, it's estimated that Psyche's various metals are worth a gargantuan £8,000 quadrillion."


    Think of all the solar and battery tech we can produce with all that? then how much we can do with all of that newly found cheap energy?

  10. #50

    Default

    People need work or they lose purpose, then fall back on instincts.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •