Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Automation replacing workers

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHead View Post
    Don, I am right with you. I will stand in line behind three fat women with full grocery carts before I will use the self-check-out at Wal-Mart. If I'm going to spend MY hard-earned money at YOUR store, why should I be doing all the work???
    First: You did not do "all" the work. You didn't unload the truck, track inventory, organize the storeroom, stock the shelves, clean up any mess, etc.

Second: You will end up spending less of your hard-earned money if you do a little work at the self-checkout because this permits Wal-mart to no longer pass on the currently expensive and rising costs of an employee (hourly wage + benefits) to your purchases.

However, the self-checkout might be offset by an increase of customers stealing items by not scanning them and putting them into their cart anyway. Anyone got any data on this?
    No his mind is not for rent
    To any god or government
    Always hopeful, yet discontent
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is

This article is a little aged, but an audit showed it was quite a bit.

https://www.securitytags.com/theft-self-checkout

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    First: You did not do "all" the work. You didn't unload the truck, track inventory, organize the storeroom, stock the shelves, clean up any mess, etc.

Second: You will end up spending less of your hard-earned money if you do a little work at the self-checkout because this permits Wal-mart to no longer pass on the currently expensive and rising costs of an employee (hourly wage + benefits) to your purchases.

However, the self-checkout might be offset by an increase of customers stealing items by not scanning them and putting them into their cart anyway. Anyone got any data on this?
    A bit of hyperbole, perhaps, but the point being, I will do my business in the place and manner in which I am treated best. If you want my money, provide the services I want. If you don't, I will take my business elsewhere.
    Last edited by LeadHead; 01-20-2021 at 03:54 PM.
    "It's the lure of easy money - It's got a very strong appeal." - Glenn Frey (The Smuggler's Blues)

"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned." - Thomas Jefferson

A bit of hyperbole, perhaps, but the point being, I will do my business in the place and manner in which I am treated best. If you want my money, provide the services I want. If you don't, I will take my business elsewhere.
    Will you do this even if it costs you a lot more to get the same product?
    To any god or government
    But change is

Automation is about more accurate products and less benefit expense. It's not going away at all and will accelerate in industrial production.

I worked at Kraft Foods when Walmart wanted their products wrapped per store so it was a variety of products going onto one pallet and wrapped. 5 conveyors of different products leading up to one palletizer/wrapper. Quite complicated but when it worked it was great. Probably replaced 5 workers per shift. Biggest problem was the machine loosing count due to a failed sensor or not being triggered or something. That's when they called us to come fix it.
    Last edited by redraspberry; 01-21-2021 at 09:10 AM.
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

Will you do this even if it costs you a lot more to get the same product?
    Define "a lot". The answer to that question depends on both the percentage of difference in price, and the specific type of product in question.
    "It's the lure of easy money - It's got a very strong appeal." - Glenn Frey (The Smuggler's Blues)

"A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned." - Thomas Jefferson

Define "a lot". The answer to that question depends on both the percentage of difference in price, and the specific type of product in question.
    It might not be a big percentage at the outset . . just 1 employee here and there . . . but over time. . . as the automated trucks start doing the long haul driving, the robots are shelf stacking, some industrial sized roomba goes to aisle 4 for cleanup, etc. . . the stores with the (costly) people serving you will become increasingly more expensive until the point where they just go out of biz.

It's not an if , but a when scenario.
    To any god or government
    But change is

It might not be a big percentage at the outset . . just 1 employee here and there . . . but over time. . . as the automated trucks start doing the long haul driving, the robots are shelf stacking, some industrial sized roomba goes to aisle 4 for cleanup, etc. . . the stores with the (costly) people serving you will become increasingly more expensive until the point where they just go out of biz.

My local WalMart has a self driving floor robot scrubber. I mess with it when I know it's right around the comer tripping it's sensors.
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

USPS mail processing has been largely automated by the Delivery Bar Code Sorter DBCS.
    Robots have been implemented into the work force there. The remaining human held jobs
    are grasped in a death grip by the Unions. On that note, some human interface is required
    at this time, to service the machinery/robots.
    Thomas Jefferson is credited with writing, “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” The seceding states in the Civil War period issued a similar declaration using the word “tyranny” as opposed to “injustice.”

If enough people felt as strongly as I do, it could definitely be pushed back for quite some time. If people refused to use self-checkout en masse, it would go away. I get it, I'm in the small minority by being incensed to the point of resistance by automation, and refusing to roll over and put my arse in the air. But so be it, whether it makes any difference or not, I will resist. At least it makes me feel good. If it costs me a few extra dollars to support a local business rather than buying every damned thing from WalMart, I am good with that.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast