Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Trade Gold for Palladium...get ready, set, go!

BTW motocat, good to see you again, a few of us missed you and your posts and hoped you were okay

I have been travelling around Europe since Christmas, no time to posts. Now back in the states.
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    1.17 gold for 1 palladium

No, gold is worth more than palladium now, so that was 1 oz of gold for 1.17 of palladium. I use ETFs for this, as the buy-sell spread just to high in pools or physical for such trades. That for gold and platinum are much better for those who want to stick to physical.
    Re too high in pools (or physical)... true. On the palladium side it really hurts. Palladium pool has a $200 buy/sell spread and that raises the cost of the Pd buy side of the trade.

To your 1.17 oz palladium for 1 oz gold using ETFs, I only got 1.035 oz pd to 1 oz au (although I didn't take the extra pd, I did a 1 to 1 trade and pocketed the left over fiat.

Pool at this moment comes in slightly better at 1.047 pd to 1 au, but I'm sure that is still below ETFs,

I'm not sure if I'll pull the trigger on a swap at the moment or not. For me, this late in the evening, that usually means I will not do so.

Very slight improvement since last night...

sell au pool $1921.60/oz, buy pd pool at 1825.00/oz

equals 1.053 oz pd pool for 1 oz au pool

End of day brings an slightly greater spread between gold and palladium.

One can sell gold pool for $1,914.70 an ounce, and buy Palladium pool for $1,810.00 an ounce.

One on one trade would pocket $104 fiat per each ounce swapped. Comes out to 1.058 oz of Pd for each ounce of Au if one wants to pass on the fiat.

Pool has an $8.98 transaction fee so 1 to 1 would be slightly less, but would shrink a lot if doing a multiple oz swap.

I have used the pool for other metals, but the spread is just to unreasonable on Palladium.

Now, I've traded gold to palladium at 1:1.2 Very nice. Of course, you never no, maybe palladiums run is over, then again, certain conditions still exist and you never now what may transpire at the relatively few palladium mines....also in regards to vehicle production.
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    I have used the pool for other metals, but the spread is just to unreasonable on Palladium.

Now, I've traded gold to palladium at 1:1.2 Very nice. Of course, you never no, maybe palladiums run is over, then again, certain conditions still exist and you never now what may transpire at the relatively few palladium mines....also in regards to vehicle production.
    Yes, pool for both palladium and rhodium are both very costly spreads. I might do ETFs but I have not logged into my equity account in a very very long time. Actually don't remember everything I have there...

Now at end of day Friday 27 de January one can pocket $156 fiat trading one pool oz of gold for one pool ounce of palladium.

As so often is the case in these sorts of things... I feel I have no clue as to what to expect.

Any opinions on the near term future of palladium?

Default Metal for metal exchanges...

Is trading one metal for another a taxable event?

Quote Originally Posted by ruthenium View Post
    Is trading one metal for another a taxable event?
    Ia there a paper or digital trail / record? Hard to tax an event without a trail....
    OTOH, IRS language seems to indicate they want you to claim bartering....
    Thomas Jefferson is credited with writing, “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” The seceding states in the Civil War period issued a similar declaration using the word “tyranny” as opposed to “injustice.”

Quote Originally Posted by ynot2k View Post
    Now at end of day Friday 27 de January one can pocket $156 fiat trading one pool oz of gold for one pool ounce of palladium.

As so often is the case in these sorts of things... I feel I have no clue as to what to expect.

Any opinions on the near term future of palladium?
    not my forte', ynot2k. i have difficulty enough just considering trading between AG and AU and very occasionally a bit of PT.