Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pawn Shop Owner Claims Silver Bar from Provident Metals is a Fake

Quote Originally Posted by 4nineFine View Post
    Just a thought, but I doubt any private mint supplying planchets would want to risk losing a gov't contract. Given that the weight & purity is guaranteed by the US gov't I just see this as another layer of security.

I hope all works out well for the op.
    Yes the buy from someone with something to lose factor (Reputation / Business) …. Adds to your personal protection and from potential headaches.
    Not necessarily doubting this or the other thread claiming JMB was also selling fakes but what’s next? Has to be the whale of all Retail Sellers the Worldwide Apmex also selling fakes?
    I have my doubts on all of this but yea, buying from Reputable Dealers certainly (I guess within this thread we’d have to say usually) keeps things simplified.

Then again, we have others (within this very thread matter of fact) who are constant “flippers”, “hustlers (of physical PMs? there’s a Nickel n Dime strategy)” , “CList Hunters”, “Peer to Peer” Traders / Buyers etc …….
    All Band of Gypsy, sounds like a Giant headache waiting to happen, you go on and have fun though …….. Personally myself, really wouldn’t, couldn’t and Don’t want to be bothered with all that.
    I Prefer the No Doubt About, Sleep better knowing just that Route(s).

Quote Originally Posted by joeinnj View Post
    You get to know the posters around here and some clearly already have All the facts Jack and never bother with any of the former nor even bother ever thinking again.
    Must be nice .............
    You mean like you are doing right now? Sounds more like you don't like them so you just make up whatever sounds good so you "never bother with any of the former nor even bother ever thinking again. "

You can speculate all you want; at the end of the day you have to ask yourself what's the likelihood of such scenario. Without the ability to do so there is no difference between 'what if all private mints starts issuing fakes' and 'what if aliens beam all the gold off world?'. Private mints decide to go evil weevil. How long do you really think they can get away with it while selling to the most paranoid consumer base on the planet? As you so well put it a lot of this stuff gets melted, and a lot of folks own their own or run it through a shop's XRF gun.

When companies go bad, they stop shipping metal while still taking orders. That's not speculation or what-if.

Quote Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
    . That's not speculation or what-if.
    Maybe you should re-read the context of post #5 ....
    Or not ..........
    Who gives a Round either way.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinnj View Post
    Maybe you should re-read the context of post #5 ....
    Or not ..........
    Who gives a Round either way.
    Maybe you should stop going into personal attacks with fluff.

Me: "has anybody here ever heard of a well established private mint passing sub. 999 for the real thing? Ever?"
    You: Ad hominem attack basically calling me a narrow minded twit (my rephrasing, not yours) without actually addressing the point. As usual.
    Me: Expounding on why I believe what I believe.
    You: Failing yet again to address the actual issue.

Is this still going on? I figured the bar would have been cut in half already I mean it's just $15-16 with premium Silver bar, cut it in half get it over with all this talk about having it analyzed xrf gun? Really maybe it's just me but I would have chopped it that day if it did not look like copper when I scratched it hard enough.

For the record, I think any fakes would most likely originate from the panda's back yard and not from a reputable private mint. Although once in circulation it's up to the buyer to authenticate before purchase. I agree with silverboy..... break out the saw.
    Last edited by 4nineFine; 01-10-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Surprised the obligatory - they fake everything even private mint bullion link hasnt been posted.

they fake everything now

http://www.aliexpress.com/cheap/chea...lion-bars.html

Ive on a number of occasions sold locally without any testing being done. Real eagles and bars but that isnt the point.

Ive sold tubes of eagles without them even being opened (again all legit product) but I could see how fakes could make it into a legit operation and resold. Pretty easily I think too.
    "The PM & Numi business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

I'm with DB on this? Name 1 instance where this has happened from a major dealer. Also If your going to drag Provident's name in the mud why didn't you name the pawn shop?...only fair for them to be drug through the mud also...Between the 2 who do you think has run a scam or 2?

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic4hire3 View Post
    I'm with DB on this? Name 1 instance where this has happened from a major dealer. Also If your going to drag Provident's name in the mud why didn't you name the pawn shop?...only fair for them to be drug through the mud also...Between the 2 who do you think has run a scam or 2?
    Your Honor I rest my case! scammers always will be scam, so somebody is pounding sand

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic4hire3 View Post
    If your going to drag Provident's name in the mud why didn't you name the pawn shop?...
    From the OP:
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver76 View Post
    Recently I ordered from Provident Metals a quantity of their silver prospector 1 ounce bars. My sibling bought three of them and took one to Hudson Valley Jewelry and Loan in Nyack, New York.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast