Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Noble or Eagle

  1. #1

    Default Noble or Eagle

    Hello All

    I am planning on buying my first 1 ounce platinum piece. My choice is between a Noble and an Eagle. The eagle is over a hundred bucks more is the eagle premium worth it or do I buy the cheapest platinum possible.

    Just looking for opinions.

    Thanks

    The Thorne

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    25,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverthorne View Post
    Hello All

    I am planning on buying my first 1 ounce platinum piece. My choice is between a Noble and an Eagle. The eagle is over a hundred bucks more is the eagle premium worth it or do I buy the cheapest platinum possible.

    Just looking for opinions.

    Thanks

    The Thorne
    Pobjoy Mint from 1983-89...... cool coins..dont have any!
    ''where do you reside geographically ?

    WITH THE LIMITED AVAILABILITY COMPARED TO THE (US govt APE).. maybe the manx!!
    inct
    Last edited by captainsilverton; 10-27-2015 at 08:45 AM.

  3. #3

    Default

    I am in the greater Atlanta area. I know the premium on the APE seems extreme.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverthorne View Post
    Hello All

    I am planning on buying my first 1 ounce platinum piece. My choice is between a Noble and an Eagle. The eagle is over a hundred bucks more is the eagle premium worth it or do I buy the cheapest platinum possible.

    Just looking for opinions.

    Thanks

    The Thorne
    It probably depends on your goals. . and if you are collecting coins vs. bullion stacking.

    I just picked up my first PT piece last month, the Australian Platypus coin . . . it was around $90 over spot. Probably coulda saved a few bucks with a bar, but I wanted a coin. . . and really for the sole purpose of being able to say that I have one. Now, back to gold and silver for me.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    It probably depends on your goals. . and if you are collecting coins vs. bullion stacking.

    I just picked up my first PT piece last month, the Australian Platypus coin . . . it was around $90 over spot. Probably coulda saved a few bucks with a bar, but I wanted a coin. . . and really for the sole purpose of being able to say that I have one. Now, back to gold and silver for me.
    I am stacking with a handful of collectibles. I am thinking like you I just want a one ounce Plat. coin.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverthorne View Post
    I am stacking with a handful of collectibles. I am thinking like you I just want a one ounce Plat. coin.
    Both are nice coins; some common eagles even have that proof look (depends on year) -- those are especially nice. Have a 1/4 oz noble, with holographic image in the ships sailes -- I consider it my very nicest coin. With $100 more for the eagle (almost 1/10 oz gold!) I would probably go with the noble. I did get my own eagles when I traded in my Kitco plat pool for the physical metals, and they had very reasonable premiums for the eagles then.
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

  7. #7

    Default

    Depends on how you plan on selling it. Are you buying for investment purposes or just because you like. If you plan to eventually sell locally or to LCS, you'll get the same price for either one. I've been buying Platinum Maples as the premium is low and they will be easy to liquidate.
    Utah, Get Me Two!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverthorne View Post
    Hello All

    I am planning on buying my first 1 ounce platinum piece. My choice is between a Noble and an Eagle. The eagle is over a hundred bucks more is the eagle premium worth it or do I buy the cheapest platinum possible.

    Just looking for opinions.

    Thanks

    The Thorne
    Selling a 'noble', whatever that is, will be spot price anywhere.

    Selling an eagle anywhere but your LCS(because they are ripoffs), will get you a huge premium.

    I won't buy anything but eagles when it comes to Pt.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodium_Cowboy View Post
    Selling a 'noble', whatever that is, will be spot price anywhere.

    Selling an eagle anywhere but your LCS(because they are ripoffs), will get you a huge premium.

    I won't buy anything but eagles when it comes to Pt.
    You say a Noble will be spot price anywhere, yet you have no clue what they are?

    I spent five minutes looking at the sold listings of Nobles and they are selling for an average of $1170. Also the big "A" are paying $50 over for them.

    Just because you don't know about something, don't make stuff up.
    Utah, Get Me Two!

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBuseysTeeth View Post
    You say a Noble will be spot price anywhere, yet you have no clue what they are?

    I spent five minutes looking at the sold listings of Nobles and they are selling for an average of $1170. Also the big "A" are paying $50 over for them.

    Just because you don't know about something, don't make stuff up.
    The big 'A' is selling 1 ounce Platinum Nobles on the bay for $1137 and 1 ounce Platinum Eagles for $1365.

    They may be paying $50 over for the Noble, but they are paying $200 over spot for random year Eagles.

    Which holds it value better in relation to spot price? Which has a larger pool of buyers?

    I learned a long time ago that you buy obscure coins because you like them, not because of liquidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •