Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Precious metal mining companies.

Default Precious metal mining companies.

Hello All,

Newbie needs some direction.

I would like to ask the community to recommend some mining companies I should investigate for stock purchases.

Thank you

you might want to look at the XAU index. It is 29 different precious metal mining companies traded on the Philadelphia exchange. i can not recommend any one particular company at this time.

Thank you I am just starting to gather info so that is very helpful.

i am a bit of a gambler and i put some money in NUGT a triple X bull fund which tries to follow the XAU at a rate of 3 to 1.
    it has increased about 68% this month. it is very risky. and can decrease even faster than that.

Take a long term view. Buy Newmont and Barrick and sit on them for either (1) the next 10 years or (2) whenever they've doubled or tripled. Sell after 10-15 years because I don't believe either company will have survived as a primarily gold producer 15-20 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Little KillBuck View Post
    Take a long term view. Buy Newmont and Barrick and sit on them for either (1) the next 10 years or (2) whenever they've doubled or tripled. Sell after 10-15 years because I don't believe either company will have survived as a primarily gold producer 15-20 years from now.
    I think not one miner will survive a timespan of 20 year unless gold really goes to tha moon

You may wish to investigate Gold Stock Analyst and/or Zeal Speculation and Investment newsletters.

Zeal has special newsletters on gold and silver mining stocks, and may be less expensive than Gold Stock Analyst.
    Legal Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra
    A variant of this has also been attributed to physicist Niels Bohr, and others.

"Tis against some men’s principle to pay interest, and seems against others’ interest to pay the principal." -- Benjamin Franklin

The School of Hard Knocks is where you get the lesson after you fail the test.

Book title: "The Best Way to Rob a Bank Is to Own One"

You're absolutely wasting your time trying to pick a couple of companies. Odds favor you will under perform. Nothing worse than picking a group of laggard stocks. Your best bet is probably just to buy an ETF or two such as GDX, GDXJ, and SIL. At least this way you get exposure to the best known mining companies in each sector. All of them rebalance every quarter. You won't get the shooting star this way. But, you'll avoid 1 or 2 dogs. Single mining stocks get bad news from time to time that can kill them in the short term, especially around earning's reports (flooded mine, cave in, environmental permits pulled, labor strikes, etc.). I wouldn't pay for a subscription to most of the so-called mining stock analysts out there. If pros can live with GDX or GDXJ, I don't know why a newbie can't? Mining companies don't report everything they should. The bigger ones are better at it though. Even their AISC analysis is not an "all-in" analysis....stuff is still left out. Just look at the lousy projects that the biggest gold miners bought for $BILLIONs. And they got taken to the cleaners. Barrick, Newmont, Kinross, Goldcorp, and others still have big mining projects shuttered because they paid too darn much for them years ago. It was an industry wide thing to value resources in the ground more than production. Hanging your hat on an index of 30-80 of the world's better known miners rather than 1, 2 or 3 will help smooth out the rough spots.
    Last edited by Numisgold; 10-14-2015 at 08:12 PM.

I guess I should clarify my response:

The only reason I suggested Newmont and Barrick specifically (and no others, BTW) is because-- of all of the public gold mining companies out there-- these two are likely to be "the last men standing", so-to-speak, 10-20 years down the road due to their large reserve/resource position and lessons they should have learned over the last 5-10 years. Not as sexy as GDX etc. and kind of stodgy but the only thing that will move all of the gold investments will be a sizeable price increase and who knows when/if that will happen. With these two companies you at least have time on your side.

Just an opinion. DYODD.

Default gold standard.. a good move up.

anyone have skin in this game, GSV .. haaaha, B I N G O..

a gem today!!! very happy!!not so much a dark star with the find!!!.. we will see........

ha............. one gold standard i am a part of!!

......bought in this summer at around .30 on advice...

(TSXV:GSV

best all....

inct

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast