Thread: How much further can Platinum go down?

Default How much further can Platinum go down?

It can't go down to ZERO!

How much further can it actually go down before those that produce it say NO, we are just not selling for that price?

There must still be a great above ground supply. And recycling must also be having an effect. I have heard for over a year how platinum doesn't meet it's production (mining) costs. So this is all I can think. I will be interested to see if the VW diesel debacle will have an effect on prices.
    You look like I need a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by GGirl View Post
    It can't go down to ZERO!

How much further can it actually go down before those that produce it say NO, we are just not selling for that price?
    Producers will sell at almost any price because they need money.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMM View Post
    Producers will sell at almost any price because they need money.
    They cannot sell at a loss. At least not for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
    There must still be a great above ground supply. And recycling must also be having an effect. I have heard for over a year how platinum doesn't meet it's production (mining) costs. So this is all I can think. I will be interested to see if the VW diesel debacle will have an effect on prices.
    You are right about recycling. After the capital costs for the plant are paid, the operating costs (mostly power) come down to pennies per catalytic converter. In a really efficient process, like NovX21, PGMs can be recovered for tens of dollars per gram. Mining that can't compete will eventually go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodium9000 View Post
    You are right about recycling. After the capital costs for the plant are paid, the operating costs (mostly power) come down to pennies per catalytic converter. In a really efficient process, like NovX21, PGMs can be recovered for tens of dollars per gram. Mining that can't compete will eventually go away.
    No mine can compete with "tens of dollars per gram". That means the Platinum supply never grow and eventually dwindle away.

Let it drop...relative to silver.
    We are at 58:1 PSR right now...
    ten more points baby...
    get down below 50:1 and its TRADE TIME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Let it drop...relative to silver.
    We are at 58:1 PSR right now...
    ten more points baby...
    get down below 50:1 and its TRADE TIME!!!
    I'm in dump some of this silver.
    Utah, Get Me Two!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodium_Cowboy View Post
    They cannot sell at a loss. At least not for long.
    If the platinum has have already been mined what should they do sell it at a loss of 50-100$ or not sell it at all and lose 900$?
    So the answer to OP question producers can even sell platinum at 400$ if the alternative is not to sell it at all.

What producers can do is start closing unprofitable shafts create deficit of platinum on the market and stop being price takers.

So far only a handful of shafts have been closed but several new low cost mines are about to start production.

Like selling cashews for peanuts
    You look like I need a drink.