Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Silver Ratio Discussion Group

Quote Originally Posted by Jed Clampett View Post
    Doesn’t that make the AGE premium about a 9% premium
    and the ASE premium about a 24% premium
    wow...
    Premiums have been insane for a while now. The question is, what does this mean?
    1. The vendors are greedy.
    2. The buyers are idiots
    3. Silver and gold are somewhat scarce
    4. Nothing to see here, as these " are not the droids you are looking for."
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Have to take #2 with a grain of salt, if they are noobs idiots would not be correct. I know I have made less than perfect investment decisions. #1 and 2 seem to imply you think silver is either overpriced or ready for a significant drop. My choice of course being #1, vendors exploiting the covid loophole. But it is shocking how they have printed quite a bit of money lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed Clampett View Post
    Doesn’t that make the AGE premium about a 9% premium
    and the ASE premium about a 24% premium
    wow...
    Something like that, worse than normal. However gold usually has lower premiums, just one reason I prefer gold over silver. I won't buy silver for bullion use with over 10% premium, so no more AGE's for me. Even the premiums on platinum typically beat silver, so plat is #2 for me. That said, buying silver at the lows was nice, fun to ride the silver rocket, it gets to higher speeds than golds can. For ratio, earlier today hit what I wanted for gold to platinum trade.
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Quote Originally Posted by and4rik View Post
    Have to take #2 with a grain of salt, if they are noobs idiots would not be correct. I know I have made less than perfect investment decisions. #1 and 2 seem to imply you think silver is either overpriced or ready for a significant drop. My choice of course being #1, vendors exploiting the covid loophole. But it is shocking how they have printed quite a bit of money lately.
    It's pretty amazing how much currency they have printed.

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

5/26/21 Evening on the east coast of the US -
    Gold spot $1,893/Silver spot $27.55= About 69 spot GSR
    AGE $2,063/ ASE $(857/20=42.85) = About 48 retail Eagle GSR

This is based on Kitco pricing. The only ASE available is Mint first in tubes or monster boxes, which is probably whey the mark up on the ASE is so high. A tube of 20 mint first Eagles is $857

Edit,
    Also, 1oz gold bar $1,961 / Buffalo silver round $32.12 = about 61 GSR on cheapest 1oz available
    Last edited by SilverPalm; 05-26-2021 at 09:19 PM.

Buying or not buying at today's prices is the question. So when ASE's are selling for $10, $15 or $20 over spot I'll let the FOMO drive me to other options. I just purchased 1 oz 0.999 Ag rounds for $31.77 each. Not a great price when spot is about $28, but a price I was willing to pay. If Ag drops so be it. If Ag continues on an ever upward trend (over decades) then at some point the pain of buying above spot will fade. The future profit is locked in, IHMO. It's just a matter of waiting.

I'm a firm believer that Ag is Ag, unless you are looking at a real rare coin.

By rare I don't mean a modern coin produced in ten's of thousands or even thousands let alone in the millions. These are collector plates with Elvis' face painted on them, but made out of Ag by the thousands or millions.

The 1950-D nickel was the first I saw of these "rare" coins. Not even silver. I remember my dad and I trying to own one. We bought rolls and rolls of nickels from the local bank hoping to find one. Nope. My dad broke down and bought one from a LCS and paid $50, maybe $75, or more. Years later, after the hype had fallen off, I could have picked up one for much less. Still can today. The FOMO was the driving factor in owning a $0.05 coin that had a production of 2.6 million coins.

Silly.

So I try not to get caught up in FOMO and buying "modern silver collector plates" with poorly painted Elvis likenesses (Lady Liberty, Queenie or whatever) on them. The new 2021 ASE is the next one. Quick line up, drop trousers, apply vaseline and pucker up, no need to worry or to have FOMO, we'll sell you a first production, fresh off the press, same as the last off the press ASE, but yours for only $50, $75 or maybe $100. Only the plastic holder marks these from the rest. Break the plastic and poof there goes the premium. No thanks. I'll pass.

The gold to silver ratio is meaningless if you pay $100 for an ounce of Ag.
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    Buying or not buying at today's prices is the question. So when ASE's are selling for $10, $15 or $20 over spot I'll let the FOMO drive me to other options. I just purchased 1 oz 0.999 Ag rounds for $31.77 each. Not a great price when spot is about $28, but a price I was willing to pay. If Ag drops so be it. If Ag continues on an ever upward trend (over decades) then at some point the pain of buying above spot will fade. The future profit is locked in, IHMO. It's just a matter of waiting.

By rare I don't mean a modern coin produced in ten's of thousands or even thousands let alone in the millions. These are collector plates with Elvis' face painted on them, but made out of Ag by the thousands or millions.

The 1950-D nickel was the first I saw of these "rare" coins. Not even silver. I remember my dad and I trying to own one. We bought rolls and rolls of nickels from the local bank hoping to find one. Nope. My dad broke down and bought one from a LCS and paid $50, maybe $75, or more. Years later, after the hype had fallen off, I could have picked up one for much less. Still can today. The FOMO was the driving factor in owning a $0.05 coin that had a production of 2.6 million coins.

Silly.

So I try not to get caught up in FOMO and buying "modern silver collector plates" with poorly painted Elvis likenesses (Lady Liberty, Queenie or whatever) on them. The new 2021 ASE is the next one. Quick line up, drop trousers, apply vaseline and pucker up, no need to worry or to have FOMO, we'll sell you a first production, fresh off the press, same as the last off the press ASE, but yours for only $50, $75 or maybe $100. Only the plastic holder marks these from the rest. Break the plastic and poof there goes the premium. No thanks. I'll pass.

Tell me about it... i am 3 coins away from a complete set of Australian Roos... double melt is probably the average price after paying for the key dates.

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post

Silly.

Exactly. I had gotten a couple of emails from the U.S. Mint "reminding" me to take advantage of the their newest offerings- the NEW Morgan dollar coins as well as the Peace silver dollars. Ugh! That was a quick hit of the delete button, obviously. Every one of these, the Philadelphia issue, and all of the S, D, O, and CC mint marked ones will end up being encased in little plastic coffins forever. Their condition won't change. Perhaps the few that aren't slabbed might end up getting mishandled, but they certainly won't circulate. It's as you say, they're the same as collector plates, Hummel figurines, Beanie Babies, modern baseball cards etc., etc.. They'll sit on a shelf or in a box somewhere for a long time and vegetate. The initial excitement will probably wane and one thing's for sure they're never going to be "rare".

Basically we have 50:1 GSR and the rest is smoke and mirrors.

Going into memorial day weekend –
    Gold $1,904 / Silver $28 = spot GSR 68
    AGE $2,073 / ASE $(865/20=43.25) = Eagle GSR 48
    Again, the only ASE available from Kitco is mint first in a tube or monster box so my ASE price is tube/20