Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Gold Silver Ratio Discussion Group

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    When trading silver for gold or gold for silver you have to expect to get a bit of a haircut. Dealers have to make a living and that's the cost to swapping no matter which way you are doing it.

During 2022 I did a bunch of silver for silver swapping getting out of 40% silver and cull 90% silver when premiums for any US junk was quite high. So much so that I was selling my junk for 3 times what I paid (on average) for it. I also cleared out all of my silver eagles and silver maple leaves for the same reason. I turned most of it into .999 generic silver rounds and bars and ended up with more ounces plus most of it was new and the rounds were in tubes and easy to store. Some went into pre-1933 gold too.
    I was more surprised that no non-dealers wouldn't do a spot for spot price trade. Came to the conclusion that most bullion guys are well informed and realize that silver is underpriced. I wasn't surprised at the dealers reaction. Even with a 110/1 ratio some dealers didn't want to make any trades at all, claiming they had no silver to sell at all. They just wanted to hang onto their silver. A couple did but the bite was just to great at the time. Can't say that I blame them. I will try again when the ratio drops to 60/1 or lower as I have a lot of 80% Canadian junk or when we get above the $26.00 mark again and put that towards gold.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    When trading silver for gold or gold for silver you have to expect to get a bit of a haircut. Dealers have to make a living and that's the cost to swapping no matter which way you are doing it.

During 2022 I did a bunch of silver for silver swapping getting out of 40% silver and cull 90% silver when premiums for any US junk was quite high. So much so that I was selling my junk for 3 times what I paid (on average) for it. I also cleared out all of my silver eagles and silver maple leaves for the same reason. I turned most of it into .999 generic silver rounds and bars and ended up with more ounces plus most of it was new and the rounds were in tubes and easy to store. Some went into pre-1933 gold too.
    yepper, longdon, thats the way to do it. good for you

Quote Originally Posted by digbird View Post
    I was more surprised that no non-dealers wouldn't do a spot for spot price trade. Came to the conclusion that most bullion guys are well informed and realize that silver is underpriced. I wasn't surprised at the dealers reaction. Even with a 110/1 ratio some dealers didn't want to make any trades at all, claiming they had no silver to sell at all. They just wanted to hang onto their silver. A couple did but the bite was just to great at the time. Can't say that I blame them. I will try again when the ratio drops to 60/1 or lower as I have a lot of 80% Canadian junk or when we get above the $26.00 mark again and put that towards gold.
    I've never looked for non-dealer transactions, so no comment. Not much in the way of locals trading PM. Most are very closed mouth about holding PM. However, there's been plenty of silver (and gold) at the coin shows that I've gone to over 2022. Sometimes the price (including premiums) hasn't been attractive, but there's never been a problem buying if you were willing to pay. But again, I was looking for bars and rounds and not trying to pick up government issued coins. Last government issue I purchased was some Britannia silver back in January 2022. Then the premiums went insane.
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

With the recent rises in spot prices, it seemed like a good time to do the numbers again.

3/20/23 almost midnight

AG spot $22.60
    AU spot $1984

ASE $33.60 - $36.60 depending on quantity
    AGE $2,165

Spot GSR 1984/22.6 = 87.8
    Eagle GSR 2165/33.6 = 64.4

Silver round $28.50
    Krug $2,065
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

Well, today silver did much better than gold, bringing the gold to silver ratio back to 86:1. Over 90 I trade gold for silver, under 80 I trade silver for gold. This has helped to increase my "stack" over the years, one just needs to adjust now and then as the average ratio ratio may change.
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    Well, today silver did much better than gold, bringing the gold to silver ratio back to 86:1. Over 90 I trade gold for silver, under 80 I trade silver for gold. This has helped to increase my "stack" over the years, one just needs to adjust now and then as the average ratio ratio may change.
    over 90 and under 80 is not much of a swing variance. what are you seeing the final outcome spread after figuring the lost premium on one side and the extra premium paid on the other side?

over 90 and under 80 is not much of a swing variance. what are you seeing the final outcome spread after figuring the lost premium on one side and the extra premium paid on the other side?

That's not when I will sell all gold for silver and visa versa, it is only when I start to do such trades. Between those two figures is my neutral territory. Using ETF accounts that follow spot value, there is little lost on the cost of trades. My silver to gold trades would pro probably go all the way down to 20:1, and gold to silver, really no end (as I have a lot more gold), though I have traded for silver at over 110:1 back in 2020, then back to gold at under 80:1, down to 65:1.
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W-zSJ6iLQY

Mike M really reaches for the stars here. Using the 1980 high price & adjusting for monetary inflation, he calculates that $900 silver is bake in the cake as an eventuality and he sees $60 as a support level.
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

Silver seems to have settled around $25 & gold seems to have settled around $2k, so I figured I'd do the numbers again.

4/20/23 10pm east coast US time

Silver Spot $25.23
    Gold Spot $2,002.40

ASE $46.33
    AGE $2,191

Silver Round $31.38
    Gold Krug $2,101

Spot GSR = 79.4
    Eagle GSR = 47.3
    Round GSR = 67

I got to do a little local shopping recently. My best local price on silver was eagle +$12 & generic round +$4.50. That being said, the usual numbers are as follows -

AU spot $2,025
    AG spot $25.6

AGE $2,206
    ASE $46.6 (spot+$21)

Silver Round $31.6 (spot+$6)
    Gold Round (Maple) $2,111

Spot GSR - 79.1
    Eagle GSR - 48
    Cheap GSR - 66.8