Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Gold Silver Ratio Discussion Group

Quote Originally Posted by StckOlio View Post
    Is there usually a premium or the likes involved with something like that and what should I expect if there is a premium for trade? Whats fair vs whats being ripped off kinda thing.
    Any dealer/retailer is going to want vig on a trade to make it worthwhile. If you get a discount on value loss you would experience from outright selling your AG and then buying your AU, I'd think that is a win.

Otherwise, you can try your luck selling directly to folks, but you are trading confidence in a quick, easy transaction for time and effort taming the wild west - caveat emptor.
    A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. -Lao Tzu

Long time lurker here with a question I have struggled to ask but here I am...

Ive been stacking AG for many years, both 90% and .999. Its to the point now where weight and space is becoming an issue. I would like to trade in some AG for AU and have a "dealer" with whom ive had buis with in the past who has said he will do trades.

My question is...When is a good time to do so? Is there a certain GSR that people generally use as a guideline to to so? If so what are the GSRs you look for?

Is there usually a premium or the likes involved with something like that and what should I expect if there is a premium for trade? Whats fair vs whats being ripped off kinda thing.

Is trading one way easier than the other? ie...AG to AU easy and AG to AU harder? or vice versa?

Thank you for your replies
    For me it is 49.99 or lower to 1

I would go in increments, personally depending on how the trend was going... a bit at a time with specific GSR targets.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Long time lurker here with a question I have struggled to ask but here I am...

Ive been stacking AG for many years, both 90% and .999. Its to the point now where weight and space is becoming an issue. I would like to trade in some AG for AU and have a "dealer" with whom ive had buis with in the past who has said he will do trades.

My question is...When is a good time to do so? Is there a certain GSR that people generally use as a guideline to to so? If so what are the GSRs you look for?

Is trading one way easier than the other? ie...AG to AU easy and AG to AU harder? or vice versa?

Thank you for your replies
    stickolio, joined in 2011. if you have been lurking AND READING for over a decade all of you questions have been asked, reviewed, and answered with considerable debate many many times. but, just for shi ts and giggles, there is one chart you must have seen in the past here. i will try to post it well, i cannot upload it but it is most likely somewhere inside this very thread.
    Last edited by maxwellsilverhammer; 02-08-2023 at 04:22 PM.

here is the chart. found online. of course the ratio timing could be different this decade but it worked very well for me a couple times since 2011

https://imgur.com/pUBqCU4

...My question is...When is a good time to do so? Is there a certain GSR that people generally use as a guideline to to so? If so what are the GSRs you look for?...
    One source that I just looked at said 20 year average was ~60 to 1, meaning 1 oz AU for 60 oz Ag. Currently it is about 84 to 1 or somewhere around there. So it seems now is not an advantages time to trade.

Regarding what is a good ratio? That is up to the needs of the person doing the trade but all else being equal it would seem prudent to WAIT until at least 60 to one comes around again and if possible maybe wait for under 50 to 1. If the pendulum was to swing all the way over it would go to ~35 to on (it is now about 25 over the average, so the opposite would be about 25 under).

Good luck.

PS many people do not trade physical... instead use ETFs or pool to buy, ratio trade, and accumulate hoping to at some point convert the "winnings" to physical.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    here is the chart. found online. of course the ratio timing could be different this decade but it worked very well for me a couple times since 2011

https://imgur.com/pUBqCU4
    Thanks Maxwell... I was hoping that would show up. What is the ratio now? I found ~84 somewhere but maybe that is incorrect.

yep, ynot2k, i get the ratio from kitco front page under All Metal Quotes button beneath the charts. 84 is what it shows today.

so i think it is a good time to be buying silver instead of gold for stacking purposes but i am not one that likes to sell any of the gold bullion stack. i would sell some of it and get silver with the proceeds at 100/1 (specific gold generic rounds or bars for silver generic rounds or bars) Coronas, Koronas, Sovereigns, Philharmonics, are next in line. My premium stuff like AGE's, Buffalos, Pandas stays put. If I made a modest profit on any of the Proofs I would sell them to gather more generic metals to increase my stacks. I will only buy proofs now if I can get them at same pricing as generics. I have moved away from USMint automatic day of release - buy Subscriptions and except for the 2023 Morgan and Peace Dollars and respective sets.
    Last edited by maxwellsilverhammer; 02-09-2023 at 09:07 AM.

There's also trading silver for silver going on too. What I mean by that is that some silver items, (silver eagles and 90% US) have been getting crazy high premiums over the last year or so and it paid to trade these coins for bullion. This works out if you are into ounces of silver vs. pretty shiny things. Not everyone collects said coins for the image and only bought them because they were available at the time and for not much more than plain bullion. Since some of us stack silver just for silver, and not interested in the images on the silver, it pays to take advantage of the demand for pretty pictures and cash in those high demand items and pick up plain Jane generic silver rounds or bars. Eg: Start with 50 ounces and end up with 55, 60 or more ounces.
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    There's also trading silver for silver going on too. What I mean by that is that some silver items, (silver eagles and 90% US) have been getting crazy high premiums over the last year or so and it paid to trade these coins for bullion. This works out if you are into ounces of silver vs. pretty shiny things. Not everyone collects said coins for the image and only bought them because they were available at the time and for not much more than plain bullion. Since some of us stack silver just for silver, and not interested in the images on the silver, it pays to take advantage of the demand for pretty pictures and cash in those high demand items and pick up plain Jane generic silver rounds or bars. Eg: Start with 50 ounces and end up with 55, 60 or more ounces.
    Would you advise trading junk, ASE'S and bullion for foreign junk like Canadian 80% to get more silvers?

What about 40% and war nickels?

Where is the line where more silver and recognizable delineate?
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    I had a sterling silver cutlery set that I was going to trade for other silver but when I went to look for it, it was gone. So was the girlfriend (ex-girlfriend).