Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Silver Ratio Discussion Group

There's a coin show coming up and I'm going with trading goods. The only ratio I'm interested in is the delta between selling ASE's and buying generic rounds. Silver is silver and if some people are interested in high premiums, I'm interested in taking their money. I also sell junk silver since people are now lining up to to pay higher and higher premiums for 90% silver vs. generic silver. Premiums come and go, junk silver used to be at near spot. Again, in the long run silver is silver and ounces is the only thing that counts. Once melted and refined it is all the same stuff - pure silver. Stamping it into one form or another is BS as far as value.

Buying gold is a completely different issue, for me. Gold has high density and is easy to transport, but using it for buying a couple of gallons of gas will prove interesting, IMHO. Perhaps in the near future we'll be bringing back pieces of eight?
    American Legion Preamble: https://www.legion.org/preamble

Stamping it into one form or another is BS as far as value.
    You may be right, but you don't see people buying rolls of unprinted paper to substitute for dollar bills. Virtually all silver is fabricated in one form or another, I am keeping the eagles I bought for low premium years ago because I like looking at them for one reason. Another is I expect in the long run their value to increase even more over the current premium. For sure not buying at these premium levels though.

Quote Originally Posted by and4rik View Post
    You may be right, but you don't see people buying rolls of unprinted paper to substitute for dollar bills. Virtually all silver is fabricated in one form or another, ...
    Unprinted paper has the value of paper. Unstamped silver has the value of silver. There is a substantial difference.

Silver coins were originally stamped to signify the amount of silver in the given coin, which indicated it's value due to the silver content. Paper currency, is just an IOU note.
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.

What does blank or printed paper have to do with physical silver? You can't go to a bank and swap paper for silver these days. That ended in 1964.

[QUOTEUnstamped silver has the value of silver. ][/QUOTE]

Yes, which is why we buy silver in a recognizable form. Eagles of course being easily found in the Red Book, Grey Sheet, online, or where ever. Generic of course is not as easily verified. People pay that premium wether you like it or not.

I've never had a problem selling generic silver to a dealer. It's, as always, what they are willing to pay at the time I'm selling. Just about anyone in the USA knows what a Washington quarter looks like too. Today $1,000 junk silver (Washington quarters) bag has a melt value of about $13,296, however you'll need to pay about $18, 894 or more for the bag at one of the online dealers I follow. That's even crazier than buying ASE's, IMHO. Silver is silver and if junk is selling for nearly 19x face it is time to be selling and buying generic, IMHO. But you do you.

Lots and lots of well known generic

Ag guy
    live for today, admit your faults, do the right thing (even if you don't want to) & trust God!
    This life is the training of the soul for the life to come. (accept that we live in a fallen world)
    Whether you know it or not, you are a spiritual eternal being! Ag guy

Quote Originally Posted by LongDonSilver View Post
    I've never had a problem selling generic silver to a dealer. It's, as always, what they are willing to pay at the time I'm selling. Just about anyone in the USA knows what a Washington quarter looks like too. Today $1,000 junk silver (Washington quarters) bag has a melt value of about $13,296, however you'll need to pay about $18, 894 or more for the bag at one of the online dealers I follow. That's even crazier than buying ASE's, IMHO. Silver is silver and if junk is selling for nearly 19x face it is time to be selling and buying generic, IMHO. But you do you.
    Not selling premium coins at this price. Also not buying. I am however waiting for premiums on generics 1oz to lower below 2.50$ before buying. I do not expect eagle premiums to ever reach 3$ again, they have become too popular and people are willing to pay regardless if they know generics are cheaper.
    Last edited by and4rik; 09-07-2022 at 05:18 PM.

Just back from the coin show where I was an alchemist turning silver into gold. I got an even better than expected amount (almost 17X face for cull 90%) of fiat for my pounds of Ag junk silver and it into Au ounces.

I probably should have posted last week, before silver took it's buck in a day rise, but here are today's numbers

AG Spot $20

AU SPOT $1,735

ASE $35.4

AGE $1,840 mint first only available

Spot GSR 86.75

Eagle GSR 52
    “The Federal Reserve is not currently forecasting a recession.”
    Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke, January 2008
    This is no longer posted in the Fed Minutes of January 2008, but still quoted here - https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22592939. The FOMC minutes still quote MR. Reifschneider. as stating the same thing.