Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Silver Ratio Discussion Group

Storage and security would be a major issue. My thought is that if the near term Basel III standards discourage/disallow sale of unallocated silver/gold derivative products, that bullion will "float" up to market prices slowly, over several years. After the price has increased to "market", a linkage could be re-established to back existing fiat currencies, a basket of world currencies, or a new digital currency. Otherwise why are so many major banks worldwide accumulating massive stores of gold? The relinking after a major increase in fiat value would constitute a monetary reset and a method to stabilize fiat currencies. I suspect that the long term goal would be to either re-establish gold backing at some level or to enable convertibility to bullion. Fiat currencies are failing worldwide, so these new banking requirements might be implemented to prevent the inevitable hyperinflation of fiat. Just a thought.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/seeking...gold-investors
    Interesting article , some conflicting ideas though. Says gold will be classified as highest risk asset. Making gold more difficult to short initially tells me that the price will go down and stay there.
    Last edited by and4rik; 06-20-2021 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by and4rik View Post
    Interesting article , some conflicting ideas though. Says gold will be classified as highest risk asset. Making gold more difficult to short initially tells me that the price will go down and stay there.
    If the price truly does go down & stay there, I forecast a lot more people wearing gold jewelry & a lot of good delivery bars getting melted down. Do I expect to see that happen in my lifetime? No.

6/21/21, before the opening of the Dow
    Gold $1,780 / Silver $26 = 68-1/2 GSR (spot)
    AGE $1,906 / ASE $35 = 54-1/2 Eagle GSR
    ASE were not available from Kitco today, so I sourced pricing on that from another bullion dealer this time.

Very informative article. Sounds like the writer is bearish unallocated (paper) gold and bullish allocated (physical) gold.

5/25/21, after markets closed on Friday

Gold $1,782 / Silver $26 = 68-1/2 GSR (spot)
    AGE $1,906 / ASE $35 = 54-1/2 GSR (eagle coins)

Kitco was out of stock on ASE & listed no price for it, so the price I used above for calculation was the lowest I could find at another large dealer. Some other sources were $5 higher. That would make the eagle ratio a little less than 48
    Last edited by SilverPalm; 06-25-2021 at 09:03 PM.

The reason (I heard), gold was knocked down $100 so easily is because of paper gold margin investors jumping ship. Sure gold price will fall some, it did last time, it's been slowly coming down in price the last year, it will form a bottom before the next bull cycle begins, Asia is patiently waiting for the bear gold to follow through here. I don't get why you say gold is a high risk asset, care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by and4rik View Post

"In plain terms, it suggests that regulators are now considering gold to be an illiquid asset, that is even riskier to hold than exchange-traded equities (which have an RSF of 50%) and as risky as all other equities (RSF of 85%)."

No idea what the author means by this.

My thought previously stated that physical gold is risky and costly to hold due to security concerns. As such many banks simply will not transfer from paper to bullion negating any potential price increases.

At today's retail prices, I am likely to be a seller of silver in small portions & a buyer of gold in small portions. Spot prices do not sway me at this time. I no longer see them as relevant. Today I was offered spot + $6 for ASE. We will see what tomorrow brings. I do not have a firm feeling about which way prices are going next.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverPalm View Post
    5/25/21, after markets closed on Friday

Gold $1,782 / Silver $26 = 68-1/2 GSR (spot)
    AGE $1,906 / ASE $35 = 54-1/2 GSR (eagle coins)

Kitco was out of stock on ASE & listed no price for it, so the price I used above for calculation was the lowest I could find at another large dealer. Some other sources were $5 higher. That would make the eagle ratio a little less than 48
    That was 6/25, not 5/25, typo