Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Platinum to go further down

Default Platinum to go further down

For platinum, I like platinum eagles, with Canadian maples second. Back in late July, spot was down around 980. I found a site that had platinum eagles for the normal markup ($100 per oz instead of $200 or more like most sites). I decided to wait hoping that Pt would go down further. Spot went down a little bit, but not until it started going back up did I check that website again and all their pt was gone (and so were most other sites, but the markups were still high). I just got an email from Prov**** and decided to pull the trigger on Pt Maples and bought them with spot at 983. Usually whenever I buy, prices seem to drop for the next 2 weeks.

So if you want Pt, the next week or two may be the time! I still have this fear that if the prices eventually drop on everything like people are saying, by the time we decide it is low enough or bottomed that there will be no supply and the mark ups will be so high you may as well have bought now. Kind of like silver has recently done.

To make matters worse, I just noticed that g***mart has the same thing at $30 less per coin. They haven't had platinum coins that I've seen in over a year. Spot there is also $4 less...

I found some Plat Maples for $70 over spot, sold out now though. Vacambi bars still seem the cheapest.
    Utah, Get Me Two!

Lots of Valcambi platinum one oz bars available online at $65 over...

I am sitting on what I have (fractional PT eagles mostly) and haven't bought in 3 months. I got in back in '97 - happily. But I didn't realize at the time they would stop the fractional coins. Wish I would have bought a hell of a lot more back then lol.
    You look like I need a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by suemarkp View Post
    For platinum, I like platinum eagles, with Canadian maples second. Back in late July, spot was down around 980. I found a site that had platinum eagles for the normal markup ($100 per oz instead of $200 or more like most sites). I decided to wait hoping that Pt would go down further. Spot went down a little bit, but not until it started going back up did I check that website again and all their pt was gone (and so were most other sites, but the markups were still high). I just got an email from Prov**** and decided to pull the trigger on Pt Maples and bought them with spot at 983. Usually whenever I buy, prices seem to drop for the next 2 weeks.

So if you want Pt, the next week or two may be the time! I still have this fear that if the prices eventually drop on everything like people are saying, by the time we decide it is low enough or bottomed that there will be no supply and the mark ups will be so high you may as well have bought now. Kind of like silver has recently done.
    PGMs are all oversupplied in 2015, and demand is down.

http://www.platinum.matthey.com/serv...earch/may-2015

I'm not sure why there is a shortage in platinum coins, but I wouldn't expect prices to rise much, if any, until 2016.

I started down the Plat eagle path. Are they being made for 2015(in UNC, not proof or other special ones? If new ones are not being made, there are no cheaper ones to buy and no one wants to sell their older ones for a loss. I'd also rather have coins than bars since there is a dual path to possible appreciation, they may have some higher threshold for 1099 tax reporting, and they may be easier to export. I live close to Canada, so maples are my second choice.

Nobles are my second choice
    TRIPLE DIGIT
    MIDNIGHT RUNNER

The price gap between gold and platinum reach $194.40 at one time. I see the price gap between gold and platinum will be at least $250.00 to $300.00.

Quote Originally Posted by jimdee2007 View Post
    The price gap between gold and platinum reach $194.40 at one time. I see the price gap between gold and platinum will be at least $250.00 to $300.00.
    at current $935/oz, Pt mining and extraction cost is more than that

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast