Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Silver Eagles sales resume.

Default American Silver Eagles sales resume.

The lowest price I've seen on the us mint website is 39.95 an ounce. What gives?

The US Mint does not sell bullion direct to consumer. They are sold via the Mint's dealer network. The eagles sold via the US Mint direct are "uncirculated" and proof versions for collectors. They come in a fancy box with a COA and all the jazz. If you want bullion silver eagles, you have to buy from a dealer.

The lowest bullion eagles are listed around $3.60 over which is a bit high in my book. Some dealers even have them at $4 over. A decent price would be less than $3 over.
    Last edited by Speedbump; 07-28-2015 at 01:47 PM.

That was a tough two weeks and a severe silver shortage. But now everything's back to normal. Premiums should drop back down as well. Stack on!
    "Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Guru's are liked not for being right but for saying what you want to hear" - me
    "Paper" investors dictate the price of silver - blitzdude
    "Fear and greed drive the Demand portion of investment Supply and Demand" - me
    "Silver can't be subject to classical supply and demand of silver and be driven by gold at the same time" - me
    "What's next for silver? Nobody knows" - APMEX email

Quote Originally Posted by BuyLowSellHigh View Post
    That was a tough two weeks and a severe silver shortage. But now everything's back to normal. Premiums should drop back down as well. Stack on!
    lol........define normal/?

inct

The 2011 25th anniversary ASE set was very nice. The reverse proof coin was beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by KILOFINAL7 View Post
    The 2011 25th anniversary ASE set was very nice. The reverse proof coin was beautiful.
    hey still is..

inct

Quote Originally Posted by captainsilverton View Post
    hey still is..

inct
    No ......
    Some insist ASE's are part of Silver "supply"
    You know, all those ones that'll never see a smelter because they're only tucked away in vaults, home safes, SDB, etc .
    Only and forever be traded from collector to collector, hoarder to hoarder... the very last, if at all ever to see a smelter.

Although can't rule out the handful or two that may be in someone's Hollywood Action Figures collection tucked away in a shoebox under their bed.
    Last edited by joeinnj; 07-28-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
    The US Mint does not sell bullion direct to consumer. They are sold via the Mint's dealer network. The eagles sold via the US Mint direct are "uncirculated" and proof versions for collectors. They come in a fancy box with a COA and all the jazz. If you want bullion silver eagles, you have to buy from a dealer.

The lowest bullion eagles are listed around $3.60 over which is a bit high in my book. Some dealers even have them at $4 over. A decent price would be less than $3 over.
    Premiums also depend on geographical location. I’m at $4.00 over if going to a LCS now but they will come down in due time.
    I wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong. -The Hag

Quote Originally Posted by bossandy View Post
    Premiums also depend on geographical location. I’m at $4.00 over if going to a LCS now but they will come down in due time.
    Yes, greater economic activity in any given area leads to inflation of every and anything.
    What (what being anything) may cost $4 in one place but may cost $7 elsewhere simply because of the economic activity of the area.
    Less money banging around in an area = cheaper prices, more money (economic activity / inflation) in an area = higher prices

Quote Originally Posted by joeinnj View Post
    Yes, greater economic activity in any given area leads to inflation of every and anything.
    What (what being anything) may cost $4 in one place but may cost $7 elsewhere simply because of the economic activity of the area.
    Less money banging around in an area = cheaper prices, more money (economic activity / inflation) in an area = higher prices
    premiums are certainly discretionary, more so in the whole picture...
    premiums can be quite competitive too........... the less competitive in the given geographical area and the less educated the buyer is too possibly.. though we have clients that buy to stack, seemingly when they want...... premium (our take) does not matter as long as the service is good...

same as a buyer who needs instant grat.... i know a few LCS's here in CT, that will "judge a book by ts cover", and in essence have a "sliding scale", ive seen that too, and in practice have had such buyers as i sum them up, and thned deal, starting high to "make" what i can..... i see that often in LCS's to pawns, and in my own dealings.

premiums have so so many underlying factors...its a circle...

competition is good for buyers, be it online sited or local store knowing of each other... many of the ebay free hip big store sellers do well....l, as do ebayers on the buy side or sell..OR THEY WOULD NOT BE SELLING for long or of duration...close to what an LCS may get...

then ya have the hunters, the side show dealers and traders, the hunt the bullion/coins down from the hands of "whoever!!".... THEY often don't pay premiums, then resell, as maybe a pawn or LCS or ebay or you and i.... on small scale or a large scale.... brick and mortar...OR NOT!

point is.... if a stacker is active and spending some time as an involved, okay maybe gung ho!!...yes many love the easy online, i get it...so stacker or flipper..... you can dig up low to no premiums... even on forums selling boards, posting privately that you buy..hey never forget, the folks that are walkins, into jewelers or pawns or LCS'a there is chance they buy lower from that walk in, often more than most would think?... scruples. morals, competition, margin, private, big store, trade, barter, coin shows, blogs, internet correspondences , local thrifts to fleas and garage sales, "taking advantage"...umm "paying too much", auctions, ...its out there, so much happens out there on ways to acquire........ acquire, in verb and noun meaning.....premium wise, all the time, generally speaking, all the while when premiums are up or down across the board... its a curve, of course...

premiums when studied are all over the board at all times....sounds like i am ramblin right, all over the place? ...just like premiums..haaa lol

inct

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast