Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Numi vs Spot ratio

  1. #11

    Default

    So it's better to buy straight silver than coins right now while the spot is low?

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bullseyethievery View Post
    So it's better to buy straight silver than coins right now while the spot is low?
    I would say it is up to you. I can tell you that many numis are getting cheaper, as well, but not at the same clip that bullion is. You could go a hybrid strategy. But , for me , bullion is looking awfully good right now. I even bought some 90% barber junk instead of numis with this months powder allotment.

    I would also say, if you see a steal it does not matter if it is numismatic or bullion in nature. It is all about the price point and what you sell it for, down the road.


    Graded bullion coins, on the other hand... I am not really up on them. But again DYODD.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

    "All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bullseyethievery View Post
    So it's better to buy straight silver than coins right now while the spot is low?
    Not sure I read this thread that way

    If you want a consensus, I just don't get that. Penny wise, pound foolish...may you wake up tomorrow to find you've missed the boat...ouch JK of course but you don't want to experience these sensations...don't make these statements land on your doorstep

    What concerns me, just a bit, is, the fiat is still in your pocket

    Make a decision lad, Make - A - Decision

    or not...your call


  4. #14

    Default

    the silver stacking // numi collecting game essentially boils down to how much time+effort do you want to spend to recoup/benefit from collector premium in the future or for a quick flip. some people don't want to deal with CL or ebay and just want a quick/easy transaction with an LCS or big online dealer or smelter directly even. the what to buy question is based on the convenience of sale aspect, and what you think has the best upside potential. as an example in my lifetime I saw non cull morgan dollars go from about $20ish (when spot was single digits) into the 30s when spot was in the 30s and back down to the 20ish now that spot is below 20. So, to me, if you can get a non cull morgan for 20ish, thats a good buy as the coin collector market is larger than the bullion market for 'collectors' anyway. since morgans follow spot on the way up, but not as much on the way down, it makes more sense to buy bullion at the moment imo (because we are sub-20 pos). numi's are slightly more resistant to spot dropping significantly but are not limited on the way up. therefore, when spot is below a numi's floor, it seems to make more sense to buy bullion and when spot is high, numis. thats generally how I see it. when buying gold i tend to buy coins rather than bullion 1, for the potential upside (if buying an oz of Au i'll buy an ungraded st gaudens that could grade AU/MS if/when graded vs a generic bullion piece or other pre33 indians etc). also don't sleep on flatware, other sterling, coin silver etc.
    what you say and think matters, but its what you do that counts
    improve always

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capsule View Post
    the silver stacking // numi collecting game essentially boils down to how much time+effort do you want to spend to recoup/benefit from collector premium in the future or for a quick flip. some people don't want to deal with CL or ebay and just want a quick/easy transaction with an LCS or big online dealer or smelter directly even. the what to buy question is based on the convenience of sale aspect, and what you think has the best upside potential. as an example in my lifetime I saw non cull morgan dollars go from about $20ish (when spot was single digits) into the 30s when spot was in the 30s and back down to the 20ish now that spot is below 20. So, to me, if you can get a non cull morgan for 20ish, thats a good buy as the coin collector market is larger than the bullion market for 'collectors' anyway. since morgans follow spot on the way up, but not as much on the way down, it makes more sense to buy bullion at the moment imo (because we are sub-20 pos). numi's are slightly more resistant to spot dropping significantly but are not limited on the way up. therefore, when spot is below a numi's floor, it seems to make more sense to buy bullion and when spot is high, numis. thats generally how I see it. when buying gold i tend to buy coins rather than bullion 1, for the potential upside (if buying an oz of Au i'll buy an ungraded st gaudens that could grade AU/MS if/when graded vs a generic bullion piece or other pre33 indians etc). also don't sleep on flatware, other sterling, coin silver etc.
    Thanks for the thoughtful advice!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,575

    Default

    I don't know. Holding my head in my hands, while shaking it. Depends on the item.

    Item: 1935 commemorative half dollar with the constitution oak was about the same price when spot was 50 as it is at 15.

    Item: Newer stuff, limited edition. It can keep the same percents but as spot decreases so do the percents. 50% markup at 30 dollars is a 45 dollar coin. At 20 it is a 30 dollar coin. Percent wise your fine, the loss is higher but so was your buy in. Unless you purchased early then you may have gotten in at 35 bucks and sitting at 30. which means your losing less.

    Item: Eagles not only is your item losing value, but the markup is too. 17% of 30 dollars a 5 dollar markup. But at 15 dollars that markup should be about 2.50.

    Item junk. Junk sells at a premium. But you must make your own sales because the dealers will beat you bad.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post
    What about this MS 70 SAEs?

    Not sure what you are asking... but I don't buy 'graded' bullion. In fact I only own 2 slabbed numis, a random Indian Head cent that I don't remember why or where it came from and my cherished 1916D, and that is only because it may be the most commonly faked coin. I would feel confident after my lengthy studies in buying a raw 16D in person, but not online through photos as the fakes can be very good. I am currently building an AU/MS Morgan archival album, every coin raw, many broken out of slabs. To me there is no better high than holding, weighing, measuring, and examining under a loupe a beautiful 137 year old MS coin. I just don't get that same 'tingly' feeling holding a slabbed coin. They also display better in a quality album than in slabs in a shoebox. Just my opinion, other's mileage may vary!

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3doors_down View Post
    Not sure what you are asking... but I don't buy 'graded' bullion. In fact I only own 2 slabbed numis, a random Indian Head cent that I don't remember why or where it came from and my cherished 1916D, and that is only because it may be the most commonly faked coin. I would feel confident after my lengthy studies in buying a raw 16D in person, but not online through photos as the fakes can be very good. I am currently building an AU/MS Morgan archival album, every coin raw, many broken out of slabs. To me there is no better high than holding, weighing, measuring, and examining under a loupe a beautiful 137 year old MS coin. I just don't get that same 'tingly' feeling holding a slabbed coin. They also display better in a quality album than in slabs in a shoebox. Just my opinion, other's mileage may vary!
    I am with you. I do have one slabbed coin a Madison half.
    Unfortunately sarcasm does not translate well to text.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

    "All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post
    I am with you. I do have one slabbed coin a Madison half.
    Unfortunately sarcasm does not translate well to text.
    Oh, I didn't take it for anything other than an inquiry! I know that you are a straight shooter windweaver, it's all good!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    25,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3doors_down View Post
    Not sure what you are asking... but I don't buy 'graded' bullion. In fact I only own 2 slabbed numis, a random Indian Head cent that I don't remember why or where it came from and my cherished 1916D, and that is only because it may be the most commonly faked coin. I would feel confident after my lengthy studies in buying a raw 16D in person, but not online through photos as the fakes can be very good. I am currently building an AU/MS Morgan archival album, every coin raw, many broken out of slabs. To me there is no better high than holding, weighing, measuring, and examining under a loupe a beautiful 137 year old MS coin. I just don't get that same 'tingly' feeling holding a slabbed coin. They also display better in a quality album than in slabs in a shoebox. Just my opinion, other's mileage may vary!
    yes raw rules.................nothing beats it ,agree...... as far as tactile and visual, yup.. with cotton gloves at times though...

    inct

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •