Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Premiums on PMs

Quote Originally Posted by Chump Change View Post
    Physical purchasing has no merit or effect on the spot price...you know this...
    You beat me to it on this one. And BLSH knows this very well :0
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post
    You beat me to it on this one. And BLSH knows this very well :0
    I don't usually call anyone out...as long as they come to the buffet with something to decide over

Quote Originally Posted by BuyLowSellHigh View Post
    funny thing about premiums, the average joe is led believe that's a sure sign of a silver shortage after all premiums are a result of demand. Well if there's so much demand it should be the POS going up not the premiums. The counter argument is the jacked up price is the "real" price or something and the spot price is just the icky "paper" price. Avoid getting suckered into paying higher premiums
    U.S. 90% and Official Mint Coins make up about 80% of my Silver stack ........

What price drop??

I one day hope to stop comparing PMs to a FIAT that could potentially blow away from my hands..
    Also have no shortage or price fluctuations as it currently sits...But always room to grow..

保持冷静栈
    Last edited by Mytal; 07-26-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinnj View Post
    U.S. 90% and Official Mint Coins make up about 80% of my Silver stack ........

What price drop??
    Your precious eagles and 90% ain't worth $20, $30, $40, $50 an oz any more. A 50 cent rise in premiums because of a 2 week shipping gap by the US Mint doesn't constitute a shortage either and isn't the first sign of an overall world wide global silver shortage either. There's so much silver out there the Indians are making toe rings out of it.
    "Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Guru's are liked not for being right but for saying what you want to hear" - me
    "Paper" investors dictate the price of silver - blitzdude
    "Fear and greed drive the Demand portion of investment Supply and Demand" - me
    "Silver can't be subject to classical supply and demand of silver and be driven by gold at the same time" - me
    "What's next for silver? Nobody knows" - APMEX email

Quote Originally Posted by BuyLowSellHigh View Post
    Your precious eagles and 90% ain't worth $20, $30, $40, $50 an oz any more. A 50 cent rise in premiums because of a 2 week shipping gap by the US Mint doesn't constitute a shortage either and isn't the first sign of an overall world wide global silver shortage either. There's so much silver out there the Indians are making toe rings out of it.
    OK Chuck ....

Pretty darn safe to assume "90%" of those Indian toe rings aren't "Eagles" though.
    Those two clearly only seem to "kick" around from investor to investor.

Why are we talking about current premiums? Op asked what were the premiums were like in 2000-2001 and after the first run up and crash back in 2008ish. I'd like to know this as well. I've talked to some old timers about this but they can't even remember what they ate for breakfast. Anyone buying during those two time periods want to chime in? I'm most curious what the premiums were when it ran up to $20 then crashed back to around $7 or whatever it was.

Quote Originally Posted by JM_Silver_Addict View Post
    Why are we talking about current premiums? Op asked what were the premiums were like in 2000-2001 and after the first run up and crash back in 2008ish. I'd like to know this as well. I've talked to some old timers about this but they can't even remember what they ate for breakfast. Anyone buying during those two time periods want to chime in? I'm most curious what the premiums were when it ran up to $20 then crashed back to around $7 or whatever it was.
    insert your favorite silver selling web site here http://archive.org/web/web.php
    "Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Guru's are liked not for being right but for saying what you want to hear" - me
    "Paper" investors dictate the price of silver - blitzdude
    "Fear and greed drive the Demand portion of investment Supply and Demand" - me
    "Silver can't be subject to classical supply and demand of silver and be driven by gold at the same time" - me
    "What's next for silver? Nobody knows" - APMEX email

There definitely is gouging going on as well. Look at the Apmex site: No 90% less than $14.50/ounce, bit their buy price is 10.40/ounce - 40%! I think this spread is larger than usual. An I correct?

I think on a lot of the sites offering free shipping, the first item has to be priced higher to absorb shipping. If a 10oz bar is $165 for one, the 2nd one could already be $160 because it can be sent with the first. A person buying 1 item does OK with the free shipping, but if you wanted 5 bars you are paying too much.

Has anyone called apmex or jmb and tried to negotiate better pricing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast