Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What amount of debt is sustainable for the U.S.?

Quote Originally Posted by Miteysquirrel View Post
    Still no one answering how long it can go...
    Japan was mentioned. Watching when they implode will give us an idea when we will. I assume they go before we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    Let's start pulling forward demand from the year 3000. I think we have the 2000's covered.
    I'm not certain I understand what you're saying? 2104? Who that? Maybe you can elaborate. I'm having one of those senior moments.

Inflation will deflate that debt so that 20 trillion, 30 trillion or whatever becomes manageable.

Nobody knows how long the Ponzi scheme will play out for. This year? 5 years from now? 10 years? 20 years? Our lifetime?
    The people who are all in gold are fools. Learn to profit from the Ponzi scheme with stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfUnion View Post
    Inflation will deflate that debt so that 20 trillion, 30 trillion or whatever becomes manageable.

Nobody knows how long the Ponzi scheme will play out for. This year? 5 years from now? 10 years? 20 years? Our lifetime?
    The people who are all in gold are fools. Learn to profit from the Ponzi scheme with stocks.
    Inflation doesn't deflate away the debt... inflation deflates the currency. The debt, however, keeps on growing. To inflate away 20-30 trillion in debt you make the USD worthless. This is the same USD that we receive in our paychecks and save in our banks. We use it to buy everything we need and save it in retirement and pension accounts. Inflating the USD into worthlessness will wipe out the National debt... but it will also wipe out the accumulated wealth of everybody holding them. And since the USD is the world reserve currency... there are a lot of people holding them.

It will last until the USA has either a large natural or man made disaster or military defeat.

IMHO a man made disaster is happening now, with our current leadership (and the Pope) steering our economy off the cliff while blowing up our foundations.
    Last edited by Westerner; 06-23-2015 at 06:44 AM.

The amount of debt that we can manage is dependent upon the resources we can use to repay it.

How much credit card debt is too much for any one of you to handle? And how does that compare with $60,000, which is roughly your portion of the national debt?

Personally, I think we walked across the stupid line many years ago . . . and our government didn't drag us across that line, kicking and screaming . . . no, as a collective society we asked for this.

Nothing's free, so let's all just suck it up, tighten our belts, and do the heavy lifting needed to set things right again.

Oh, and let's make sure those who are takers are made to feel guilty . . . they should.

When the debt was around $30,000 for each person in the U S, I so wanted to just send them my $30k and cut them a deal , so I would not have to pay as much taxes. I know upkeep would be something BUT not the high taxes we see now

I know, I was dreaming... Or stupid or insane or all of the above.

Instead, I simply bought precious metals...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better ..................................

Quote Originally Posted by mike n View Post
    The amount of debt that we can manage is dependent upon the resources we can use to repay it.
    Can you name me one point in our history where our Federal Government has "managed" our debt responsibly? It doesn't matter how much they take in in tax revenue... they ALWAYS spend more than they have. You are comparing our government to rational people who feel responsible for what they owe. Our government doesn't owe anything... they keep spending and overspending our money... not theirs. It's easy to keep spending when it's not your money. What they have never done... is spend within their means.

We are paying the interest on the debt. Are there ever any principal payments?
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

Quote Originally Posted by Miteysquirrel View Post
    We are paying the interest on the debt. Are there ever any principal payments?
    No... all of the debt is simply rolled over into new debt. That's why the FED can't raise interest rates... it would increase the interest payment, expand the annual budget deficit and balloon the national debt out of control.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast