Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What amount of debt is sustainable for the U.S.?

As long as you have fractional banking then debt is an asset.
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

There are only 2 ways out :

1) massive currency devaluation
    2) massive taxation

Both involve wealth confiscation - which keeps reminding me why I purchased gold.

I'm wondering if TPP (Trans Pacific Partnership) deal hastily being pushed through is laying the groundwork for #1.

What amount of debt is sustainable for the U.S.?

The US government has already overspent and over-promised. We are Greece on a much larger scale... and the rest of the world knows it.

eh . . debt is a just a promise to pay back in the future . . promises can be broken. And probably will be once some from the generations that "inherited" the majority of the debt come to political power .. . We can keep kicking the can until then . . . Unfunded liabilities don't count . .they are just promises for future spending. . . sextilliions or whatever.
    No his mind is not for rent
    To any god or government
    Always hopeful, yet discontent
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    There is no such thing as "sustainable" debt. Unless you consider sustainable "growth of numbers" to meet your definition.
    ^^^Winner.

Now we just gotta do the numbers on the US and look at their current growth proposals in the TPP / TCIP / TISA. Think North American Union

IceAged
    Last edited by IceAged; 06-20-2015 at 05:53 PM.
    Disclaimer: DYODD (Do your own due diligence). Any information in these posts are my own personal opinions and not investment advice

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they DO NOT KNOW ABOUT IT! - "K"

Quote Originally Posted by redraspberry View Post
    As long as you have fractional banking then debt is an asset.
    Debt became the new gold.

I donīt know what amount of debt would be considered sustainable, but I think that the PTB can kick the can for quite a while still. I have read that Japan has a higher debt to GDP ratio than the United States, and they have been able to kick their can for a long time despite years of slow economic growth.

I am not saying this ponzi scheme should continue, only that I think it can.

Quote Originally Posted by Miteysquirrel View Post
    We are around 18 trillion in National Debt, and another 100 trillion or so in unfunded liabilities.

How much more can we take on?

Can it go to 20 trillion....30 trillion....40 trillion?

What possible tricks can they use to keep kicking this can down the road?

Raising interest rates would make this debt substantially more, no?

This isn't rocket science, there has to be a foregone conclusion here...something predictable.

Who wants to take a shot at this?
    Still no one answering how long it can go...
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

I love debt ! And, I sleep like the dead !

Being debt free is not true freedom - death is true freedom !

There's no denying - this is a debt based planet .. !

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalIronSteel View Post
    I love debt ! And, I sleep like the dead !

Being debt free is not true freedom - death is true freedom !

There's no denying - this is a debt based planet .. !
    Let's start pulling forward demand from the year 3000. I think we have the 2000's covered.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast