Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What amount of debt is sustainable for the U.S.?

Question What amount of debt is sustainable for the U.S.?

We are around 18 trillion in National Debt, and another 100 trillion or so in unfunded liabilities.

How much more can we take on?

Can it go to 20 trillion....30 trillion....40 trillion?

What possible tricks can they use to keep kicking this can down the road?

Raising interest rates would make this debt substantially more, no?

This isn't rocket science, there has to be a foregone conclusion here...something predictable.

Who wants to take a shot at this?
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

Default 90 Days: Treasury Says Debt Has Been Frozen at $18,112,975,000,000

If you can't win, stop keeping score.

90 Days: Treasury Says Debt Has Been Frozen at $18,112,975,000,000
    By Terence P. Jeffrey | June 15, 2015
    Legal Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra
    A variant of this has also been attributed to physicist Niels Bohr, and others.

"Tis against some menís principle to pay interest, and seems against othersí interest to pay the principal." -- Benjamin Franklin

The School of Hard Knocks is where you get the lesson after you fail the test.

Book title: "The Best Way to Rob a Bank Is to Own One"

The FIAT lovers will say it doesn't matter.

So the obvious question is what comes after trillion? I know but for reverence....

Here s what I ve found:
    Trillion with 12 Zeros
    Quadrillion with 15 Zeros
    Quintillion with 18 Zeros
    Sextillion with 21 Zeros
    Septillion with 24 Zeros
    Octillion with 27 Zeros
    Nonillion with 30 Zeros
    Decillion with 33 Zeros
    Undecillion with 36 Zeros
    Duodecillion with 39 Zeros
    Tredecillion with 42 Zeros
    Quatttuor-decillion with 45 Zeros
    Quindecillion with 48 Zeros
    Sexdecillion with 51 Zeros
    Septen-decillion with 54 Zeros
    Octodecillion with 57 Zeros
    Novemdecillion with 60 Zeros
    Vigintillion with 63 Zeros
    and Centillion with 303 Zeros

Will our grand kids be spending a few trillion on their weekly EBT cards to buy food for a week?

Quote Originally Posted by Miteysquirrel View Post
    We are around 18 trillion in National Debt, and another 100 trillion or so in unfunded liabilities.

This isn't rocket science, there has to be a foregone conclusion here...something predictable.

Buzz light year in the movie called toy story said; "infinity and beyond." If in doubt ask; Tim the tool man Taylor or his neighbor Wilson.

There is no such thing as "sustainable" debt. Unless you consider sustainable "growth of numbers" to meet your definition.

In a debt based currency environment, debt must grow, every year, every quarter, all the time....else the system will collapse. The Oligarchs attempt to keep the Ponzi going by having a slow and steady increase in debt and a slow and steady increase via inflation. However, debt grows at an exponential rate, therefore, the equation tends toward infinity...so in a way HMIS is correct.

I predict in 2169 it will only cost $1 sextillion for a all night date in Vagas. And the Sextillion-airs will have all the fun.
    Last edited by Westerner; 06-20-2015 at 01:38 PM.

I am not an economist, nor do I play one on TV, but IMO, debt on a very large scale doesn't matter. Sure, our personal debt matters to you and me, but that is because we don't own the monopoly on the currency printing presses and the distribution network, i.e. the Fed. What does matter is the faith people have in their currency. The FR's biggest nightmare is that the US sheeple will lose faith in the line of BS they have been feeding us for the last hundred years.

There are some startling parallels between The Weimar Republic of 1921 and the US today.

"The cause of the immense acceleration of prices that occurred during the German hyperinflation of 1922–23 seemed unclear and unpredictable to those who lived through it, but in retrospect was relatively simple. The Treaty of Versailles imposed a huge debt on Germany that could be paid only in gold or foreign currency. With its gold depleted, the German government attempted to buy foreign currency with German currency,[31] an action equivalent to selling German currency in exchange for payment in foreign currency, but the resulting increase in the supply of German marks on the market caused the German Mark to fall rapidly in value, which greatly increased the number of Marks needed to buy more foreign currency. This caused German prices of goods to rise rapidly, increasing the cost of operating the German government, which could not be financed by raising taxes because those taxes would be payable in the ever-less-valuable German currency. The alternative was some combination of running a budget deficit and simply creating more money, each of which increased the supply of German currency on the market and reduced that currency's price. When the German people realized that their money was rapidly losing value, they tried to spend it quickly. This increase in monetary velocity caused still more rapid increase in prices, creating a vicious cycle.[32] This placed the government and banks between two unacceptable alternatives: if they stopped the inflation this would cause immediate bankruptcies, unemployment, strikes, hunger, violence, collapse of civil order, insurrection, and revolution.[33] If they continued the inflation they would default on their foreign debt. The attempts to avoid both unemployment and insolvency ultimately failed when Germany had both.[33]"
    To Be, Do. Descarte
    To Do, Be. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Miteysquirrel View Post

IMHO, Easily 5xGDP or about $80T at the moment

IceAged
    Disclaimer: DYODD (Do your own due diligence). Any information in these posts are my own personal opinions and not investment advice

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they DO NOT KNOW ABOUT IT! - "K"

Default Does the United States have $128 trillion in unfunded liabilities?

Quote Originally Posted by IceAged View Post
    IMHO, Easily 5xGDP or about $80T at the moment

IceAged
    Well, I guess we have exceeded that. We're goners.

Does the United States have $128 trillion in unfunded liabilities?
    By Glenn Kessler
    October 23, 2013
    The Washington Post

You Think The Deficit Is Bad? Federal Unfunded Liabilities Exceed $127 Trillion
    By Vance Ginn
    1/17/2014
    Forbes

Is Our Debt Burden Really $100 Trillion?
    DEREK THOMPSON
    NOV 28, 2012
    The Atlantic

Cox and Archer: Why $16 Trillion Only Hints at the True U.S. Debt
    By CHRIS COX AND BILL ARCHER
    Updated Nov. 28, 2012
    The Wall Street Journal

Hiding the government's liabilities from the public makes it seem that we can tax our way out of mounting deficits. We can't.
    The actual liabilities of the federal government—including Social Security, Medicare, and federal employees' future retirement benefits—already exceed $86.8 trillion, or 550% of GDP.
    Legal Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra
    A variant of this has also been attributed to physicist Niels Bohr, and others.

"Tis against some menís principle to pay interest, and seems against othersí interest to pay the principal." -- Benjamin Franklin

The School of Hard Knocks is where you get the lesson after you fail the test.

Book title: "The Best Way to Rob a Bank Is to Own One"

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsUpDoc1958 View Post
    Well, I guess we have exceeded that. We're goners.
    I think that is the opinion of many here including myself

If you compared this to an indivdual with $100K annual income they could probably carry $500K in debt and have some chance of paying it off, Beyond that it get's harry

Thing is the US does not have to pay it's unfunded liabilities. They can just tell everyone on SS that your SOL. The debt not so much.

I've pretty much written off any chance at claiming what I've paid into SS.

IceAged
    Last edited by IceAged; 06-20-2015 at 03:36 PM.
    Disclaimer: DYODD (Do your own due diligence). Any information in these posts are my own personal opinions and not investment advice

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they DO NOT KNOW ABOUT IT! - "K"

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast