Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on 1878 Morgans

Default Question on 1878 Morgans

Finally completed my collection of O Morgans and am moving on. Was considering starting with all dates, earliest to latest. With the 1878s I am a little confused. From the same vender I see a listing for "1878 7/8 TF, 1878 7 Tail feathers Rev 78, and 1878 7 tail Feathers Rev 79." I know about the 7/8 mistake, but the Rev 79 confuses me. Are these 3 different coins? Could you enlighten me of the differences.

Yes, they are all different coins.

I don't have the time to educate tonight...google is my friend : )

Seriously, I learn about what I spend my money on, before I spend my money...just saying, Have Fun and Good Luck

There were second and third reverse Morgans in 1878, 1879 and 1880 as well as the original 1878 reverse with 8 tail feathers. The 1879-S is found with both 2nd and 3rd reverses and the other branch mints made only 3rd reverse coins just as the Philadelphia mint...
    Last edited by 300WBY; 05-27-2015 at 02:51 PM.
    Build a fire and warm a man for a day.
    Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life
    .:

If you see something...Shoot something! Ima Hunter

the '78 morgans have a flat to sunken looking breast on the eagle. the other years have an convex or "normal" looking breast. you need AU to BU coins to see the difference clearly. there is some overlap due to the use of dies in minting the coins. the concave breast is the "normal" '78 look but some '79 coins were struck with those dies. also some '78 coins have the convex look used from '79 on. it's easy to see with two high grade coins side by side.

My personal favorite of the 1878 coins is the 8 tail feather

http://www.vamworld.com/8+Tailfeather+Morgan

a few very good books........

Morgan Dollar: America's Love Affair with a Legendary Coin....

i have several copies ^^^^^....... if you would like one, or Amazon can have one at your door in 2 days

also this book, i also have a few copies of i would let go...
    Guide Book of Morgan Silver Dollars Complete History & Price Guide by Bowers

and this, though i only have my copes of...
    The Official Red Book of Morgan Silver Dollars, 1878 to 1921: America's Most Popular Classic Coins

Op if you are going to collect Morgans i suggest all books on the subject.

knowledge is power...i for one still love books...

oh also another interesting look into Morgan....
    The Private Sketchbook of George T. Morgan: America's Silver Dollar Artist

best
    innj

i

Quote Originally Posted by captainsilverton View Post
    a few very good books........

Morgan Dollar: America's Love Affair with a Legendary Coin....

i have several copies ^^^^^....... if you would like one, or Amazon can have one at your door in 2 days

also this book, i also have a few copies of i would let go...
    Guide Book of Morgan Silver Dollars Complete History & Price Guide by Bowers

and this, though i only have my copes of...
    The Official Red Book of Morgan Silver Dollars, 1878 to 1921: America's Most Popular Classic Coins

Op if you are going to collect Morgans i suggest all books on the subject.

knowledge is power...i for one still love books...

oh also another interesting look into Morgan....
    The Private Sketchbook of George T. Morgan: America's Silver Dollar Artist

best
    innj

i
    I would be very interested in Morgan Dollar: America's Love Affair with a Legendary Coin.... please PM me on info. I tried PM you but got an error

Default cleared out the message box....

Quote Originally Posted by Marshel54 View Post
    I would be very interested in Morgan Dollar: America's Love Affair with a Legendary Coin.... please PM me on info. I tried PM you but got an error
    just saw this this am.... my pm box was full....

i would be happy to send you a copy......no worries.

message me again, message me with a secure address...i am out of Connecticut in NY state working, through Thursday, then home..... i can mail it out to you soon..... so that is that....

best,
    inny

got your pm... all good, will send ya one...

inny

Default morgan dollar book..

Marshel54.. i just realized i may have dropped the ball here.. if so the book will go out today to you, i will be down state to make sure... i had dropped it off to be shipped out, but may not have supplied the address... sorry for the confusion, if it was not sent already?? i though i would of had an email confirming the book was shipped from one of my associates last week while i was away for a few days from home..

if you received it already also let me know? i am on my way down to ffld county today and will check 1st hand..

best...

inct

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast