Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a "Satin" or "Matte" 1922 Peace Dollar?

Default Is this a "Satin" or "Matte" 1922 Peace Dollar?

This is a 1922 Peace Dollar that came from a collection my Father gave to me which has been within the family in someway for a very long time so this not being just a coin I found that I bought in a pile or whatever gives me even more hope it's a special one. I have looked at so many different 1922 Satin and Matte Peace Dollars. Graded, non-graded, from books, auction sites, list goes on and I really cannot put my finger on this.

Does anyone think this is one of the rare Satin or Matte 1922 Peace Dollars from this year? I plan to send in if things are promising cause it strikes me as so different from anything I've dealt with before. I can try to take more pictures if these aren't good enough.

Really appreciate the help, it's be bugging me for a year or so since I found it in my collection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

do you mean the 1922 as the 1921.. high relief.... was a struck rarity?

http://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-peace-.../a/1216-4211.s

http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer...f-coinid-17384

inct
    Last edited by captainsilverton; 05-20-2015 at 04:22 AM.

I'm asking if this is a 1922 Matte proof finish or Satin proof finish or if it's not either of them. They come in both low relief and high relief. I've seen graded coins similar to mine and they were either Matte/Satin proof finish. Is this that rare matte/satin proof finish?

i can not tell by photos in a flip.. or would i guarantee my thought by photos.

i certainly would in hand have a better thought..and if thought such of the same wonder, i would send out to pcgs.

wish i could help ya more,

best of luck.. that rarity would be something to cherish...or sell...LOL

best

inct

matte would tend to show more differentiated details to the eye.. but when toned its tough to tell by a low res photo......imo, if matte vs satin, matte it makes the details even a higher relief look to it

keep searching for the answer..
    all my life never had one

http://www.coinfacts.com/silver_doll...ace_dollar.htm

inct

I can take it out of the flip if need be, but I'm being very honest here in that the color/tone is the same in or out of the flip. I won't say "exactly" cause obviously the camera will catch the coin different outside the flip even a tiny bit BUT this is what it looks like. Made sure not to get glare, had to take a few pictures to not have to look different from the coin.

Are you saying that while you can't say for sure inside the flip the coin does look to be of either matte proof finish or satin proof finish? I cannot remember which one it looks like, it's late but I wanted to post this before I forgot again.

I have searched for more than my brain can handle so wanted to show the great folks here and get input before I did send it off to be graded. I'd rather have some solid input then send it off and it be normal, regular finish with the finish just being different or something to that effect. That wait would be awful without getting insight here.

Great that's the site I used a lot to try to figure it out then I realized I have no shot at getting a real educated guess on my own!
    Last edited by InsomniacSilver; 05-20-2015 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by InsomniacSilver View Post
    I can take it out of the flip if need be, but I'm being very honest here in that the color/tone is the same in or out of the flip. I won't say "exactly" cause obviously the camera will catch the coin different outside the flip even a tiny bit BUT this is what it looks like. Made sure not to get glare, had to take a few pictures to not have to look different from the coin.

Are you saying that while you can't say for sure inside the flip the coin does look to be of either matte proof finish or satin proof finish? I cannot remember which one it looks like, it's late but I wanted to post this before I forgot again.

I have searched for more than my brain can handle so wanted to show the great folks here and get input before I did send it off to be graded. I'd rather have some solid input then send it off and it be normal, regular finish with the finish just being different or something to that effect. That wait would be awful without getting insight here.
    you will get more input here....yes you will....

photos themselves just imo are not definitive to make most calls, nor do i want to mislead you with a presumption......cause, that by ANY photo i can not authenticate my opine... in hand with comparisons is what i would do....
    also are you located near any coin authorities?
    just do not sell to any if they say "it aint so"..LOL

its a great piece to grade, that i can see..

best again....
    time to start my day
    inct

I don't believe I'm near any coin authorities.

I understand that while the pictures don't prove anything, I certainly won't get my hopes up or blame anyone if it wasn't what it was thought to be. Me showing it here and getting insight from guys with much more knowledge and understanding gives me the "green light" to send to get graded sooner than later, along with other steps if this makes sense. It'll get the motivation wheel moving should there be great insight into it being (insert opinion) giving me hope but not getting down in my luck if it doesn't come back as such.

I don't believe you have a proof coin there but go ahead and send it to PCGS or NGC and have her graded and authenticated. Proof Peace Dollars are rare and should not be confused with a prooflike appearance...
    Build a fire and warm a man for a day.
    Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life
    .:

If you see something...Shoot something! Ima Hunter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast