Thread: Does the date (year) matter with gold bullion coins?

Default Does the date (year) matter with gold bullion coins?

Hello,

I am new to collecting and this forum so I hope I am not posting in the wrong area!

I would like to start investing in 1 oz American Buffalo gold bullion coins. This will be mainly for the bullion investment value so I will be keeping these long term. Admittedly, I do prefer the look of the Buffalo coins over the AGE and GML coins so I guess there's a little of the collector interest in it for me. With that in mind, I am considering starting with 2006 and work my collection from there.

My question is, do you think the year of the coin matters in any way it's only bullion (not proof)? I have seen a bunch of different prices depending on the year of the Buffalo coins but am considering just ordering the "Dates Our Choice" option as they are the cheapest. Buying specific years can add a premium of over $100 more than a random dated coin. Do you think in the long run a specific year of bullion coin will matter? Or should I just go for the cheapest option and stockpile?

Thank you for any help and I apologize for my naivety in advance.

Dave.

Wouldn't matter to me.

One oz is one oz.

But there are people out there who pay for graded bullion. To me it doesn't make sense. Bullion is for bulk speculating. But I guess there are some "collectors".

JMHO.
    I was driving across the burning desert; When I spotted six jet planes; Leaving six white vapor trails across the bleak terrain; It was the hexagram of the heavens; it was the strings of my guitar; Amelia, it was just a false alarm. --Joni Mitchell, Amelia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6d2RG2Rl64

"Dates Our Choice" best bet always. lowest premiums are my rule of thumb unless you are building a "one of every year mintage" set. you may be surprised at the years you receive when making that choice. also, welcome to the nut house. keep stacking

Thank you very much for your replies zerozero and maxwellsilverhammer!

I think I'll resist the temptation to purchase specific dates and with the money saved on premiums, stack more bullion!

Thanks again for the advice.

Dave.