Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rounds with Dates

Default Rounds with Dates

I have a tube of 1984 Parliament Shield rounds and have not found much on the net about this particular round and am curious to know more about this round. Saw a few on ebay a week or so ago asking $28 -$30 ea. Seller indicated they were scarce. That seems quite high but don't know as I am new to numis. I got them for .88 over spot at LCS.
    Any info on this round, mintage or if dates increase premiums would be appreciated...........Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhill58 View Post
    . Seller indicated they were scarce.
    They always say it's rare or scarce. It's still generic bullion and worth it's weight in silver. Some people will pay more thinking it's scarce and the only way to get back that premium is to add it to the selling price to the next buyer that thinks it's scarce.
    "Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Guru's are liked not for being right but for saying what you want to hear" - me
    "Paper" investors dictate the price of silver - blitzdude
    "Fear and greed drive the Demand portion of investment Supply and Demand" - me
    "Silver can't be subject to classical supply and demand of silver and be driven by gold at the same time" - me
    "What's next for silver? Nobody knows" - APMEX email

Yeah, I sent a message to the guy who had them listed as scarce and asked him if he wanted to buy mine he said "I have enough in inventory". LOL. They can't be too scarce....Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BuyLowSellHigh View Post
    They always say it's rare or scarce. It's still generic bullion and worth it's weight in silver. Some people will pay more thinking it's scarce and the only way to get back that premium is to add it to the selling price to the next buyer that thinks it's scarce.

Coins have the advantage of having mintages ( many times)
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Why do some rounds have higher premiums?

Why do some rounds have higher premiums?
    Because people will pay high premiums.
    I wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong. -The Hag

So when stackers buy a round with a premium there is no market value of any kind only perceived value.... Pandas, Kooks?

Quote Originally Posted by bossandy View Post
    Because people will pay high premiums.

So when stackers buy a round with a premium there is no market value of any kind only perceived value.... Pandas, Kooks?
    silverhill you are mixing up different types of silver in your statements. here you go.....
    pandas ASE's Maples, Brits, etc ... any government minted silver planchettes are called "coins" and can be of numismatic value.

your originally mentioned private minted silver planchettes are called "rounds" without any numismatic value generally.
    there are hundreds of privately minted design types of rounds in the marketplace, some with names of mints, ie. mintmarks, many without.
    some with dates, most without, if you ever find any without the actual weight and purity stamped on them, run away.
    stuff on ebay that is listed at a high premium doesnt necessarily mean it will sell for that price, do a search for completed sales to get the more accurate market value. also, many who stack silver dont necessarilly believe in any numismatic value to government minted coins.
    hope that helps.

just looked up your 1984 Parliament Shield rounds ... yep, straight bullion rounds, no numis value, worth current melt value to most here, i actually have some in my easter basket with many other rounds. now, that being said... a few years ago, i got a group of rounds in a larger purchase from gainsville coins company that had pictures of pistols on them. ie., colt, smith and wesson, ruger, etc., and i listed them on a gun auction site and got double to triple what i paid for them. if someone had a smith and wesson revolver they bid up the "round" with the same picture on it........ all perceived value>>> nothing more. hope this helps as well.

GM max, Yes it helps. I was aware of the government issue Pandas ect. Just wanted clarification. So if rounds are privately minted silver is silver. Some of the gov. minted coins like the 2014 5 oz Britannia are very expensive, however a stunning coin...........Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellsilverhammer View Post
    silverhill you are mixing up different types of silver in your statements. here you go.....
    pandas ASE's Maples, Brits, etc ... any government minted silver planchettes are called "coins" and can be of numismatic value.

your originally mentioned private minted silver planchettes are called "rounds" without any numismatic value generally.
    there are hundreds of privately minted design types of rounds in the marketplace, some with names of mints, ie. mintmarks, many without.
    some with dates, most without, if you ever find any without the actual weight and purity stamped on them, run away.
    stuff on ebay that is listed at a high premium doesnt necessarily mean it will sell for that price, do a search for completed sales to get the more accurate market value. also, many who stack silver dont necessarilly believe in any numismatic value to government minted coins.
    hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast