Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magnet working on one platinum ring, but not another!?

as long as its accurately marked (% of Pt) I don't much care what the other alloyed metals are. it is good info though as it would be unfortunate for someone doing a test for a c-list deal, for example, with a magnet, accuses seller of 'fake' platinum when in reality it just has cobalt..
    what you say and think matters, but its what you do that counts
    improve always

Quote Originally Posted by capsule View Post
    as long as its accurately marked (% of Pt) I don't much care what the other alloyed metals are. it is good info though as it would be unfortunate for someone doing a test for a c-list deal, for example, with a magnet, accuses seller of 'fake' platinum when in reality it just has cobalt..
    It makes it very difficult especially when one of the first things you learn about PM's is that they are non-magnetic! But the first part of your statement might get you into trouble..... you can't rely on just a stamp. I see things stamped all the time that are not what they are stamped. For example, one of my customers sent me an "18k White Gold" heavy link curb chain for scrap. My eyes immediately went to this chain because of its size.... as soon as I picked it up I knew something wasn't right. I figured it would be heavy but it was about 2x heavier than I was expecting and the feel of the piece didn't feel like gold. Looking at the piece it looked good, jump rings soldered shut as they should be, end caps were soldered in place perfectly, right kind and size of clasp used, stamp looked professional and legit.... I place the item on my x-ray machine and what do you know...... Stainless Steel!!!!!! I immediately call my customer to break the bad news and he said that he tested it with acid and even had another jeweler down the street look at it and test it...... Acid has no effect on Stainless Steel. Since then, I have seen this same scam on 3 or 4 other pieces. You can buy stamping tools online without having to be a jeweler. Nowadays you have so many people doing anything and everything they can to make money and this is just one example of how they are doing it.

I can understand the gold alloy because of how soft the metal is but platinum has a very high hardness, absolutly no need to make it into an alloy.

Pure platinum is not as hard as you may think. It also scratches easily. For these reasons, an alloy is mixed with platinum to increase the hardness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12