Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Platinium vs silver (in terms of lustre)

Default Platinium vs silver (in terms of lustre)

I have recently been looking at a Perth Mint Platinum Platypus 1oz coin. And although platinum attracts VAT in the UK, in Australia it is GST free, so maybe in the future if I ever pop over there I will pick one up. I also like the fact that although platinum is more dense the platypus is about the same diameter as a kangaroo (Platypus is actually 0.05mm larger I believer)

Just wondering, for those that have platinum coins. Is the lustre a lot less than silver? Is there a notable difference between the two. I know silver is supposed to be the most reflective metal, just wondering if the two metals are easily distinguishable and if silver is much nicer looking. Or if it's hard to notice a difference?
    ChrisSilver from The Silver Forum, here to say hello to all here at Kitco

It really depends on their finish from the mint (matte vs. shiny). I have Pt Eagles and yes they DO look like silver. OR my silver looks like platinum you might say . There's no escaping their almost identical look. But to me (at least) when platinum is polished is seems a LOT brighter. One nice feature of platinum is if it is scratched the metal is simply displaced (moved out of the way) due to density. When silver is scratched you can actually lose metal in the process.
    You look like I need a drink.

Platinum is a darker/deeper grey. When pollished up all shinny, it may be difficult to tell them apart just be looking without them sitting next to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
    Platinum is a darker/deeper grey. When pollished up all shinny, it may be difficult to tell them apart just be looking without them sitting next to each other.
    IMHO, it's the other way around. To me, platinum looks like extra bright silver.

Here's a great platinum video showing most forms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg2WzCzKpYU
    You look like I need a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodium9000 View Post
    IMHO, it's the other way around. To me, platinum looks like extra bright silver.
    Nope, you've turned it the wrong side, as originally stated, Platinum has a more grey color than silver. It doesn't tarnish though, so maybe that's where silver might seem duller? Anyway, if you compare a silver and a platinum maple leaf side by side, the contrast is quite visible; same finish, yet silver will be a lot more 'mirror' like while platinum will have a greyer tint to it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

That video is quite interesting, I have seen the same guy in a video before showing the gold bars in the bank of English.

Platinum having industrial uses also makes it very attractive in my opinion. I think I will pick up a platypus at some point. Also nice to know the aesthetic difference between silver and platinum is not that great.
    ChrisSilver from The Silver Forum, here to say hello to all here at Kitco

Quote Originally Posted by chrissilver View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

That video is quite interesting, I have seen the same guy in a video before showing the gold bars in the bank of English.

Platinum having industrial uses also makes it very attractive in my opinion. I think I will pick up a platypus at some point. Also nice to know the aesthetic difference between silver and platinum is not that great.
    aesthetic???. look into sterling silver utilitarian ware and sets maybe, for investment and profit..it is out there.... opulent age, sterling silver makers and craftsman and their objects!!! my genuine forte!

just a thought.

inct

side by side comparison...what do you think?

You need a brand new silver coin fresh out of tube to really compare. Pt has a deeper mirrored finish then silver. I find silver to be more creamy opaque white color than pt myself...

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast