Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trouble down on the farm

Farmland around me is going for $6k to $10K an acre depending on the soil type and terrain.
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

Not sure where you are, but that's reasonable if compared to BC's Fraser Valley which sees prices of $80,000/acre.

Prime farm land in East Central Illinois.

432Hz

With some farms having land being listed at more than $100,000 an acre...
    Rising price of B.C. farmland

That's kind of ridiculous. What are they growing that they can make up for that? Prices around me peaked a couple years ago with some up to 15k and acre.

432Hz

It's mostly fruit-veg-dairy -- no grain crops.

It's also a West Coast/Whole Foods/100 Mile Diet mentality -- people will pay more for "local" food...so local land goes up in value because production value rises.

Another factor is Asian investors pushing up the price of ALL forms of real estate.

I've done well with a small time hay/alfalfa operation. My son-in-law and I bale about 200 acres of grass and alfalfa. What started as a way to be independent with my wife's and his wife's equestrian addiction expanded into a small business. We own our equipment and most of the fields we bale. We sell large round bales to cattle producers and small square bales to boarding stables. We don't have transportation equipment needs because we sell to folks who pick it up themselves out of the fields immediately after it's been baled. It's kind of a hobby farming deal, but it's been profitable because while there is some fertilizing, no seeding needed after the stands have been established. Alfalfa especially spreads like weeds and pushes out everything else, is drought resistant, and can be baled 3-4 times a year. BTW, alfalfa is a legume, not a grass. I live in east central Missouri in an upland area. Ground is not really suitable for grain crops, but grows orchard grass and alfalfa like nobody's business. . . .

Too bad that growing hemp is still illegal. That would be a much better cash crop around here than corn and soybeans. There are bills in both my state and in the federal legislature to legalize it's cultivation. It could also reduce the paper and plastic industries of their current feedstocks.

432Hz

https://www.thecentersquare.com/illi...6.html#new_tab

Last year was a banner year for Illinois farmers.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture's 2021 Illinois Crop Production summary shows that it was an excellent year for soybeans, corn and wheat.

The state remains the top producer of soybeans with an estimated yield of 64 bushels per acre, a 9% increase from 2020. Nationwide, soybean production was up 10 million bushels, thanks to higher total production in both Iowa and Indiana.

Illinois farmers planted 11 million acres of corn last year and harvested 2.1 billion bushels, up 3% from the prior year. Illinois is the second leading producer of corn in the country, behind only Iowa.

The USDA says Iowa’s average corn yield came in at 205 bushels per acre, compared to 202 in Illinois.

USDA State Crop Statistician Mark Schleusener said the weather cooperated for farmers in most of the state last year.

“Most of Illinois had plenty of rain in 2021, however, in the northern tier of counties it was really quite dry for some time and they did not get the real good yields up there,” Schleusener said.

Large strides were recorded in Illinois’ winter wheat crop, where harvested acreage in 2021 was up 17%, and total production totaled over 48 million bushels, a 36% increase from 2020.

432Hz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123