Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 401K - What did you learn about the 2008-09 Market Crash?

Default 401K - What did you learn about the 2008-09 Market Crash?

I learned how quickly long time workers at XYZ company panicked when they saw their 401K's lose 20yrs of contribution in a heart beat. Literally in tears!

I admit it was painful to hear them discuss that they would have to keep working till they dropped dead! Sad

The great thing is most have recovered and are in better shape. For now-

A few questions:

How have you changed as a result of that experience if any?

What is your 401K strategy?

If and when the next market crash hits will you wake up to peeled onions?
    -"The Golden Rule"
    He who owns the gold, rules!

My strategy is to not contribute to a 401k. I take the after tax cash and invest in other things..not stocks, not bonds.

The only onions I have are in my garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    My strategy is to not contribute to a 401k. I take the after tax cash and invest in other things..not stocks, not bonds.

The only onions I have are in my garden.
    I wish I was as brave as you! The matching 6% my company provides is the driving force. I'm 100% aggressive, vested in company stock. I'm itching to pull the trigger and move the current balance into 50/50 Money Market Savings & Stable value funds. All while still buying company stock, pays dividends that get reinvested as well.
    Also what has me worried is this market, company stock is at all time highs how much more legs does this stock market have? I'm hoping others are actively monitoring their 401k's and can share some strategies.
    -"The Golden Rule"

Quote Originally Posted by Creeative2 View Post
    I wish I was as brave as you! The matching 6% my company provides is the driving force. I'm 100% aggressive, vested in company stock. I'm itching to pull the trigger and move the current balance into 50/50 Money Market Savings & Stable value funds. All while still buying company stock, pays dividends that get reinvested as well.
    Also what has me worried is this market, company stock is at all time highs how much more legs does this stock market have? I'm hoping others are actively monitoring their 401k's and can share some strategies.
    When my company changed the match, I changed my strategy. Plus, I personally feel that 401Ks could be at risk in the future.
    Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 05-14-2014 at 01:19 PM.

From reading one of your other posts, I also see your debt free
    -"The Golden Rule"

I had already pulled my $ out of my 401k prior to the crash.
    All this did for me was confirm the market was rigged and the sheeple were and always have been prone to being sheered on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Creeative2 View Post
    Why are you 100% vested in your company's stock? That scares me.
    The answers are in the data

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanferr View Post
    Why are you 100% vested in your company's stock? That scares me.
    From 2009 to 2014 = $0.00 to $28,000.00 in 5yrs

Compounding
    -"The Golden Rule"

401ks will be part of the bail-ins when it starts to implode again. The precedents have been set in Europe.
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

....what Atlas and Redraspberry have said....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast