Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891011121656 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap Metal Tips and Small Talk

Quote Originally Posted by bossandy View Post
    Made an early morning curb shopping scrap run on my way to work. Only 10 extra miles on the truck than a normal drive to work.

Pickup a full truck load of stuff, including an actual stainless steel microwave, medium gas grill, metal filing cabinet, few white wire shelfs, three heavy extension cords, xmas light, vacuum, two big light fixtures, another shovel, screen door and window screens, heavy brass kitchen faucet plus a bunch of small misc stuff. All the metal will be sorted and the steel will go to the yard as all higher grade metal will be hoarded for a later run. Seems people are starting to clean up their places.

Tip of the day, always go down each and every street in a neighbor. On the last turn of the last street is where a got the grill.

Happy scraping

Bossandy
    I call this creeping. Here where I live there is a part of town where all the streets have alleys. I call that alley creeping. I just took in a bunch of aluminum. I walked away with $51. Not bad for not working except to make it as clean as possible. Computers are a treasure trove too.

$100 this morning. $28 for steel. $56 for yellow brass. Beer cans, transformers, a battery. Today is a good beer day!
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

Quote Originally Posted by t00nces2 View Post
    $100 this morning. $28 for steel. $56 for yellow brass. Beer cans, transformers, a battery. Today is a good beer day!
    Nice, I keep trying to save my scrap money for a 1oz AGE, but my basement project keeps stealing it from me

Bossandy
    I wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong. -The Hag

It blows me away how many good things people toss out. I have not bought a shovel (I must fine a dozen a year), steel and fan rakes, broom, flower pots and misc garden tools in 10 years. I found an almost brand new Honda and Toro self-power walking mowers last year, I sold one to my neighbor for $100 and I kept the Toro. One day I found a three drawer top tool box complete with sockets, screwdrivers and misc stuff in a persons garbage can. In the suburbs of Chicago, people are losing and/or moving their homes and all this nice stuff goes to the curb, sad, but.

Bossandy

34 lbs of beer cans and 35 lbs of steel cans to the scrap center this morning. My years collection. Got $.50 a lbs for the aluminum and $.10 for the steel. I have three batteries to drop ff on the way by later, they said $7.50 apiece.
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

Nice thread.
    I've been collecting scrap off and on for 20 years.
    Mostly just what I see as I'm driving around, to and from work. Pile it up in the garden till I have a load, then off to the scrap yard.
    Since I've been self employed, it has made a significant addition to my winter income.
    Like BossAndy, I've noticed a big pickup in stuff left out recently, and an increase in the number of skips (dumpsters)
    Home improvement weather is here!

I find a lot of my light iron and ally (aluminium) while I'm walking my dogs.
    Rivers seem good places, came back yesterday with 2 bike wheels (ally rims, stainless spokes and chromed brass tighteners) an ally fire back, and a light iron pole. Only 1 ($1.65) or so but while I'm out with the dogs? Free money. Went a different way today, got a stainless pole (2kg) out of a ditch the dogs went in, found an old wheel barrow frame, and a couple of old washing line poles.
    Again, just a quid or so, but it means the dogs feed themselves (in a way)

Any advice on best use of several old computers (with h/drives)?

A close friend of mine has a welding/metal fab shop next door to a company that makes snow plows. He has a dumpster out back that they throw steel in (Brake rotors, old bumpers and any/all small steel items) plus any scrap pieces from his business. I go every other week and pick up a load of what is there and take to the yard and we split it 50/50. I feel this is a good opportunity for me, better than nothing

Trip 1 Sheet Iron 380lbs. $220 per ton = $41.80
    Trip 2 Sheet Iron 430lbs. $220 per ton = $47.30
    As the weather gets warmer, these weights will go up.

I also take his better grade materials, upgrade and take on a seperate trip.
    Anything I find on my owe, is 100% mine

Bossandy

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

Red, did you build that? I noticed how he puts the coke can in the same position every time

Bossandy

Curb shopping run this morning, only got 4 vacuums, 10 window aluminum screens and an aluminum shower door and frame Got another place to go on my lunch break later today. I love them vacuums, long copper cord along with the motor (alum, steel and brass). I hope to start seeing alot of gas grills and lawn mowers within a few weeks

Oh well, some days are better then the others.

Bossandy