Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111555 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap Metal Tips and Small Talk

Quote Originally Posted by bossandy View Post
    If it is really silver wire, I would take it to a LCS and have it acid tested. If OK I would sell it as scrape and buy ASE’s or other generic rounds with the money.

Bossandy
    I'm not familiar with the abbreviation LCS .Could you please help me out with it? Thanks in advance.
    You are a spiritual being having a human experience. Brent Leese

LCS= Local Coin Store.

Here's the cat and manifold I was talking about.

It weighs 19 lbs. I'll get the sawzall and whack off the manifold.
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

Quote Originally Posted by redraspberry View Post
    LCS= Local Coin Store.

Thank you.
    You are a spiritual being having a human experience. Brent Leese

Driving down the local street home from softball, I picked up two gas grills, and two bicycles a block from home. When the weather gets to 60F I guess people get to throwing stuff away. And I like it.

Bossandy
    I wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong. -The Hag

Quote Originally Posted by redraspberry View Post
    LCS= Local Coin Store.

Hey Red, let us know how much you get for that cat.
    I saw a few stray cats walking across my yard today

Bossandy

I scrap. I have a storage unit/shop that I accumulate larger steel scrap and other items. I also sell out of the shop on e-bay and craigslist things bought at garage sales.

Much of what I scrap I buy at garage sales. I look for brass and vacuum cleaners for scrapping, but computers and nasty ceiling fans will also go to the shop... Another big item I can sometimes buy for a dollar or so is exercising machines.... bikes, treadmills, and other unused and unwanted machines du torture. Brass is a biggie, though. In a month or so, I can generally pick up 50 - 70 pounds or so. Between what i pick up at garage sales and what I get from my handyman business, I net probably $80- $120 a month. Brass and copper are really the only metals I stockpile for any amount of time. Copper builds pretty slowly, so I try to pick a time when the conversion is high. Brass, on the other hand, is divided into two piles; one pile is big items (urns, larger figurines, pipe fittings and faucets and fixtures. Then I have 5 containers filled with small pieces. These large cans probably hold 60 to 80 pounds each. The pieces are small so they are densely packed and relatively easy to store. They are kept are a store of wealth or if the price of brass should spike way up.

Scrapping is the closest thing I have found to alchemy to date. It provides cash for garage sales which provides items to sell for scrapping and ebay and craigslist. It's the circle of life.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

By the way, I bought 4 Toyota branded aluminum rims for $30 a few months ago. I figure they are worth $120 as scrap. I have had them listed on CL for $180 and someone called and said they want them today... Wish me luck.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

Quote Originally Posted by t00nces2 View Post

Scrapping is the closest thing I have found to alchemy to date.
    I always say that when I am going to the scrap yard. LOL. Turning steel in to silver.

Just finished a half hour scrap run on my lunch break.

1 floor fan, 1 coffee maker, 1 food processor, 1 ceiling fan and a few misc cords small steel pipes and broom handles. Not a lot, but when broke down and the cords stripped, it adds to the pile. If I had my truck I could of picked up a ping pong table

The more it weighs, the more its pays

Bossandy

Made an early morning curb shopping scrap run on my way to work. Only 10 extra miles on the truck than a normal drive to work.

Pickup a full truck load of stuff, including an actual stainless steel microwave, medium gas grill, metal filing cabinet, few white wire shelfs, three heavy extension cords, xmas light, vacuum, two big light fixtures, another shovel, screen door and window screens, heavy brass kitchen faucet plus a bunch of small misc stuff. All the metal will be sorted and the steel will go to the yard as all higher grade metal will be hoarded for a later run. Seems people are starting to clean up their places.

Tip of the day, always go down each and every street in a neighbor. On the last turn of the last street is where a got the grill.

Happy scraping

Bossandy