Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 123456789101454 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap Metal Tips and Small Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Kaching View Post
    I stripped out a couple of old industrial electrical circuit boxes. 2'deepx3'widex4'high and cut the silver contacts off the circuit breakers, I kept the silver ground wires as well. I now have close to 4lbs of each but have no idea where to look to sell them. Do any of you have any suggestions of where I might be able to unload it?
    If it is really silver wire, I would take it to a LCS and have it acid tested. If OK I would sell it as scrape and buy ASE’s or other generic rounds with the money.

Bossandy
    I wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong. -The Hag

I stripped out a couple of old industrial electrical circuit boxes. 2'deepx3'widex4'high and cut the silver contacts off the circuit breakers, I kept the silver ground wires as well. I now have close to 4lbs of each but have no idea where to look to sell them. Do any of you have any suggestions of where I might be able to unload it?
    What exactly are these circuit boxes? Can you post a pic of it and what you pull out?

Probably tin plated copper. Just cut a couple of strands to see if it is copper inside.
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

Quote Originally Posted by atlas mike View Post
    What exactly are these circuit boxes? Can you post a pic of it and what you pull out?
    I can't locate a picture so I will try to explain. The circuit breaker box in a house is about 12" wide x 20" high x 2"deep. The breaker is a small black box 3"x4"x1/2". The circuit breaker box from this building was much larger it was about 3' wide x 6' high x 1' deep. Inside the box the top and bottom circuit breakers are about 4"high x 2" wide and 1/2" thick each, and not boxed in.
    Circuit breakers are designed to allow the flow of electricity and automatically stop it if there is a short circuit. They can also be open or closed manually depending if someone wishes the electricity to flow or not. If you look at the inside of a circuit breaker box you will notice that there is a spring loaded copper hammer at the top with a small silver square at the end. There is also a collector at the bottom with a small silver square.When they touch they fulfill the circuit. I don't believe all household breakers have silver contacts, however using it as an example is probably the easiest way of explaining it. The reason that the one's I obtained were so much larger was to accommodate the amount of electricity that is needed to fulfill the demand.
    Because silver is an excellent electrical conductor the manufactures put a silver contact that is about 1" x1"x 1/8" thick. on the top and bottom ends of these breakers. What I did was cut the silver off the copper.
    I hope this helps. I'll try to get you a picture but I can't make any promises.
    You are a spiritual being having a human experience. Brent Leese

Kaching,

These parts are silver-cadmium, an alloy that is used much of the time, due to pure silver being very soft and subject to pitting each time the electical circuit is broken.

Are they plated with copper underneath or solid? If you have a lot, you could send them into a refiner and take your chances.

Keep us posted.

Bossandy
    I wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong. -The Hag

Quote Originally Posted by bossandy View Post
    Kaching,

These parts are silver-cadmium, an alloy that is used much of the time, due to pure silver being very soft and subject to pitting each time the electical circuit is broken.

Are they plated with copper underneath or solid? If you have a lot, you could send them into a refiner and take your chances.

Keep us posted.

Bossandy
    They came from an old box. They're solid. They are also semi soft as well not like the brittle contacts that you would find in the newer circuit breakers that are in home panels . I just bit into one and it left a small indentation on the contact.
    Last edited by Kaching; 03-28-2014 at 09:32 PM.
    You are a spiritual being having a human experience. Brent Leese

They came from an old box. They're solid. They are also semi soft as well not like the brittle contacts that you would find in the newer circuit breakers that are in home panels . I just bit into one and it left a small indentation on the contact.
    Man I might start looking out for these.

Yesterday I changed out the catalytic converter on my sons car. The this is attached to the cast iron exhaust manifold and is all one piece. I think I'll cut the manifold off as it's a good 10 lbs of cast iron.

Last time I scraped some cats the local place only wanted to give me $15 but going further away to a bigger yard they gave me $50 each.

432Hz

Default Empty may not really be empty..................

Quote Originally Posted by bossandy View Post
    But if the valve is out of the tank, the tank should be empty and a yard should take them, right?

I toss a lot of helium balloon tanks in there all the time.

Bossandy
    My local scrap yard will not accept then unless there is at least a 4" hole cut into the tank. I have scrapped a few. Removed the brass valve, then filled with water to displace any fumes and used a cutting torch. I would not cut into one that was empty. There are still fumes inside, it is a potential bomb. If I did not have a torch to cut with, I might try drilling a hole, and use a chisel and hammer or a sawzsall to cut the hole. Again I would fill with water to displace any fumes, no need to take any chances.

I cut the top off, leaving the handles and refill with bits of scrap metal. Makes a handy "bucket" for small pieces of scrap.

My local yard won't take tanks with valves in them.

432Hz