Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 607

Thread: Scrap Metal Tips and Small Talk

  1. #21

    Default

    Also google the salvageable strong magnets one can get from the larger and older microwaves. Those are just fun to have.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atlas mike View Post
    I scrap. I have a truck bed half full of aluminum right now. I scrap out what ever I can. I have a place around me that buys computer parts too. So I disassemble computers and all the parts and separate it all and take it all in. The hard drives I take a part for the cast aluminum, and I can sell the magnets online, the motherboards they buy for $0.60 a lb and the rest I get steel price for. I do not find it worth stripping down the other drives like the CD drive etc, so they give me steel price for that as well. Funny how you start scrapping and how you look at everything differently. When I see a computer that is old, I see it in scrap/money terms. When I see a fan on the side of the road, I see an electric motor and steel.

    Motors are $.25 a lb around me. Same for transformers. Even the little wall wart types. Stainless Steel is about the same too.

    How do you get the magnet off the steel backing plate on those HD magnets? I have a whole stack of them.
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

    432Hz

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redraspberry View Post
    Motors are $.25 a lb around me. Same for transformers. Even the little wall wart types. Stainless Steel is about the same too.

    How do you get the magnet off the steel backing plate on those HD magnets? I have a whole stack of them.
    They should come off with a flat head screw driver, but they are brittle and may crack. I just leave them as is. and I will list them on the Bay.

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Westerner View Post
    My place is starting to look like a junk yard, I have been stacking metals for over four years now waiting for scrap prices to go back to their highs. It's getting kinda embarrassing. Need to build some solid cedar fences just to hide some of me treasures.
    I always make sure to keep all my scrap and junk boxed up neatly and in the basement or garage. My buddy's parents are hoarders and I never wanna have a messy house like theirs.
    The beard has turned into the padded bra of masculinity. There's a whole generation running around looking like lumberjacks, and most of you can't change a tire.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarMoreBadass View Post
    I always make sure to keep all my scrap and junk boxed up neatly and in the basement or garage. My buddy's parents are hoarders and I never wanna have a messy house like theirs.
    Well, some say this is art..



    From..

    http://ecycler.com/tag/recycle/

    So my piles are masterpieces because that art pile looks like mostly junk thats hard to recycle. Now mine are well worth to junk=masterpiece, or even precious metals like a neighbor scrapper informed me once.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atlas mike View Post
    I scrap. I have a truck bed half full of aluminum right now. I scrap out what ever I can. I have a place around me that buys computer parts too. So I disassemble computers and all the parts and separate it all and take it all in. The hard drives I take a part for the cast aluminum, and I can sell the magnets online, the motherboards they buy for $0.60 a lb and the rest I get steel price for. I do not find it worth stripping down the other drives like the CD drive etc, so they give me steel price for that as well. Funny how you start scrapping and how you look at everything differently. When I see a computer that is old, I see it in scrap/money terms. When I see a fan on the side of the road, I see an electric motor and steel.
    Atlas, are you in Illinois? I have a lot of low grade, mother boards, HD and power supplies that I need to get rid of. Trying to find a local buyer that doesnít want them by the gaylord boxes is hard

    Bossandy
    I wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong. -The Hag

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bossandy View Post
    Atlas, are you in Illinois? I have a lot of low grade, mother boards, HD and power supplies that I need to get rid of. Trying to find a local buyer that doesn’t want them by the gaylord boxes is hard

    Bossandy
    No Sir, I am in FL. But here is a link to a place that buys all grades of boards and even CPUs I think. HD? as in hard drive? break them down to the Aluminum case. You may even be able to sell the platters on the bay. Power supplies have aluminum wires in them. I give those up as steel. I don't bother with them. But they do have a low grade board in them, so you can weigh you options (pun intended). Oh ya. Look, the boards on the hard drive are really valuable. """Hard Drive Logic Boards (Click to see description) $10.25 per pound''''''<<<< from board sort.com.. I stack computer parts just as I stack PMs. It's all money to me.
    Last edited by atlas mike; 03-27-2014 at 07:41 PM.

  8. #28

    Default

    Something on the lighter side. My daughter wanted new cleats for softball. I asked her, how is she going to pay for them. She said she will save alumn cans So her and I walked selected ditches last weekend and we collected enough (half) for a pair. I told her that every can on the ground is 2 cents.

    Bossandy
    I wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong. -The Hag

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bossandy View Post
    I thought about that, but donít want a bomb to go off I will need to look into that though. Thanks


    Bossandy
    Open the valve, place the tank upside down for a couple minutes.Done, there will be no propane or pressure left in there to be concerned about.

  10. #30

    Default

    I stripped out a couple of old industrial electrical circuit boxes. 2'deepx3'widex4'high and cut the silver contacts off the circuit breakers, I kept the silver ground wires as well. I now have close to 4lbs of each but have no idea where to look to sell them. Do any of you have any suggestions of where I might be able to unload it?
    You are a spiritual being having a human experience. Brent Leese

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •