Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap Metal Tips and Small Talk

well, just to give the thread a bump.... I work in construction and am always picking up 14 ga. wire ends, they add up slowly. They other day I scored twice. One house I was checking had 25' of underground power cable coiled up in the yard. Usually the sparky's take it when they are done their power meter hookup but I guess this guy thought it was too heavy or had to get home or ?? So that nice find is probably worth about $2/foot in Cu and Al. Then I walk around the corner and someone threw out 15' of 3/4" Cu water line all mangled up from a machine. Nice score again. I haven't seen 3/4" cu for so long I have no idea how much a foot of that weighs, but it'll look pretty sitting in my CU pile .

Anybody else score some good finds lately? Or is everyone smarter (and luckier) than me and are sitting by the lake?

^ I take every bit of scrap the shop doesn't want back. Little pieces of RG6, CAT5/5e/6/6a, 10, 12, 14 AWG, etc etc. It adds up.

Does anyone here scrap PC parts? Old Intel Pentium Pro CPU's contain about 1 gram of gold and sell for $25-$30 a piece of eBay.
    The beard has turned into the padded bra of masculinity. There's a whole generation running around looking like lumberjacks, and most of you can't change a tire.

When I started scrapping, I tried to scrap one of everything just to see what was in there. Then one day I saw our IT manager grumbling that the local "shred-it" company wanted $25 to recycle his computers and destroy the harddrives.
    I said give them to me. I ended up with 6 computers and about 30 harddrives. Keep all the gold plated and filmed stuff in a box.. Also kept the pentium chips.......
    I find it fun to go out to the shop and scrap something out on a rainy night.

BadAss... is it really worth it for RG6? not much there. Do you rip the copper pout or just take it in complete?

The only computers I scrap are the ones I find curb shopping. I’m always afraid one of them will have bad stuff on the hard drive so I disassemble and throw the disk away. I have boxes of Mother Boards and green boards out of other electrical devise but still looking for a place to sell to. My friend owns a water conditioning business and I get all the old steel tanks and some control values that have copper, brass, cast alum and stainless on them, not a lot but it does add up.
    I wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong. -The Hag

Coax isn't worth crap. I still take it though and store it coiled up in case I need to use it somewhere. For the little pieces I strip it down to the copper and coil it around my pliers when I'm bored and drinking beer.
    The beard has turned into the padded bra of masculinity. There's a whole generation running around looking like lumberjacks, and most of you can't change a tire.

After a few weeks off, I went curb shopping Tuesday night. Found a 6 piece all aluminum patio set, stainless steel sink with brass faucet and a few misc items. On Wednesday on the way to work I found a water pressure, few fans, another faucet, vacuum and more misc stuff. Now I need to clean, sort and cash in. Having fun scrapping.
    I wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong. -The Hag

Looks like aluminum is at a high on the commodity markets right now.
    What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

432Hz

So I'm a construction worker and I've been digging in the dumpsters pulling out all the steel and copper not so much copper though but I've been piling it up for 7 months now and I'm not sure how much is there but scraps only 140 a ton and the best part is i haul it home in my little car people laugh and make fun of me they tell me its not worth it there idiots free money i would say i probably have 5 ton or so its so hard to say but i want to get a dumpster and fill it thats

Anyone have any tips for cleaning up burned copper wire to pass as #1? I finally bought a torch today because stripping stranded wire by hand SUCKS. I was just gonna hit it with some water and a Brillo pad.

Burning off copper wire throws out alot of poisonous gas, plus is illegal as hell...in canada anyways.