Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 404445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Scrap Metal Tips and Small Talk

Turned in the e-scrap I have had hanging around forever. Cleaned out the shop shelves and now have a bunch of room and $283 to boot!
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

Quote Originally Posted by everything1 View Post
    I scrapped about $33 worth of mostly copper brass a few weeks ago. I just brought in whatever I had so it wasn't laying around for the winter. I have not been hitting my charter dumpster for a long time and it is a mini-gold mine, if I hit it on the right day each week, it's about two miles from home and I just won't go out of my way for that. They've been tossing allot of aluminum housings but it's not worth it to separate the stainless steel bolts from them, it's clean aluminum with some kind of navy gray paint on it, no other metal on it and all I can get is 30 cents or less lb. and aluminum just isn't heavy with a box weighing 1 lb. you take apart 100 of these greasy things and get maybe $25. I just won't do the work ,which is pretty sad because they are throwing allot of it into the landfill. If I just bring the boxes in they give me 3-6 cents a lb. for stainless and aluminum mixed, sorry landfill. They won't give anything hardly for the stainless steel either. I won't bring iron in either, I've tossed probably 200 lbs. of iron in the dumpster this year, I threw an entire electric motor scooter into the landfill after I took the copper and battery off it, and that thing was a tank with aluminum motor housings. If I see christmas lights in the garbage I won't even pull them out, just doesn't add up. One time I brought in just boxes full and got maybe a dollar or two for them. I wont even bring hard drives in, not worth anything they are so small these days, iron always into the dumpster. I guess realistically I should have a bucket for all the bolts that get thrown out, maybe over time they would add up. I throw allot of metal away, and see allot go to the landfill.
    I collect from a thrift store each week. they are used by many as a "dump" so they have a lot of throw away. I will take anything electric, electronic or metal. yes, I do end up with a lot of frying pans and such, but you know, 2 or 3 45 gallon drums of them as low end aluminium and they start to add up. The only stuff generally I throw out is plastic. strip everything to circuit boards and metal. I have gotten miles of Christmas light strings as people "donate" them once a few bulbs burn out. I cut the bulbs off and throw the wire in a huge tote. When it is full it is almost 100 lbs (about 2 months to accumulate) and then you get about 30 cents/ pound. Just have to cut the ends off (and most of the cords have brass tangs so i cut them off too...
    As an aside, we have had no internet for 13 days, our provider decided to do "scheduled maintenance" on Boxing day at 10 am.. (Go figure....) long story short, we now have a new system on a new tower and much faster for same price as i got grumpy after my wife could not do year end and payroll for the companies she does bookkeeping for. But the real upside is the installer I met asked if he could leave the old dish and circuitry in my garbage. I said I would take that and happily recycle it. Now, he has a bin set up for me at their shop for all the goodies as they just used to throw those telecomm boards in the dumpster. Score.......
    Just because it is legal, does not mean it is right.....

Been a very cold and hard winter so far this year, so I kinda layed low, plus my old Chevy dosen’t like minus 10-30 weather. hang in there and keep scrapping. I’ve might of slowed down, but I still grab buried treasures.
    I wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong. -The Hag

Interesting thread so I'll add my 2 cents.

I recently had a bunch of PC UPS that failed at the circuit board level and were stacking up in the storage room. Not much to do with them but toss them out. Some of the batteries were still good so I reused them and those that were dead went into the scrap pile. They were the APC brand.

I opened them up and cut the wires to the circuit board, transformer, etc. so that there was nothing left but a power cord and two rows of outlets. On the circuit board there were these big aluminum heat sinks so I busted them off and threw them into the scrap pile too. Not a whole lot to get out of them but get this:

After removing the battery and rewiring the device with literally nothing but one wire nut to connect one side to the other, I now have a usable extension chord with a built-in hidden storage compartment (The battery compartment) I left all the heavy components inside to give it the same weight. I figure I can store about 140 oz of Silver Eagle tubes in there to emulate the battery weight although I have not done it yet.

My idea is to put it back under my desk, plug a lamp or something into it so people know it works, and then stuff it full of metal. LOL

Hidden in plain site. It would also be a good place to store a back up peace and ammo as the compartment is pretty large and the lid slides off with just a push of the tab on bottom.

FYI - Wired like this it offers no surge protection or battery backup. So if you ever do this, it just becomes a big extension chord with a hidden compartment for storage.

Pretty basic inside: I cut out all the wires not needed and just left those going from the power chord to the power outlets. The rest were cut away. This internal picture shows the power cord cut off which is actually one of the few wires I left in place. (Internet pic just for reference - not actual work I did)

A look inside the battery compartment on the bottom. (Another Internet pic just for reference) I cut the ends off the battery wires and pulled them out of the case.

Last edited by Count Stacula; 01-27-2018 at 09:28 PM.
    Disclaimer:Later....

I found one of these UPS in the garbage awhile back, took a chance on a new battery and am using it for cable modem/router only, I also ripped the audible speaker off it so if the power goes off at night oh well, maybe I should get one for the alarm clock.

Kept my scrapping receipts this year, I earned about $100 in scrap metals. It's just barely worth it. I'm a little more savvy about scrapping, mostly that whole $100 scrapped was destined for the landfill, some I found, some I bought to flip into scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by everything1 View Post
    I found one of these UPS in the garbage awhile back, took a chance on a new battery and am using it for cable modem/router only, I also ripped the audible speaker off it so if the power goes off at night oh well, maybe I should get one for the alarm clock.

Kept my scrapping receipts this year, I earned about $100 in scrap metals. It's just barely worth it. I'm a little more savvy about scrapping, mostly that whole $100 scrapped was destined for the landfill, some I found, some I bought to flip into scrap.
    That's pretty rough a 100 don't go far. Been slim pickings lately but usually get a few hundred in alum, chopper and brass every couple months....used to get a few hundred minimum a month.

Back when prices were higher and I hit the hoods on garbage day, I could make 4-6 hundred a month. Now I slowed down a lot and only get the stuff that has cords, brass or alum.
    I wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong. -The Hag

WooHoo! I stopped by the scrap yard with some adaptor transformers and they said they pay 15 cents/pound. I was sure hey would say "nope, just scrap metal price" but they do account for the copper.... Nice, I have 3- 5 gallon pails of them...... (those suckers are heavy....)
    Just because it is legal, does not mean it is right.....

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdude View Post
    WooHoo! I stopped by the scrap yard with some adaptor transformers and they said they pay 15 cents/pound. I was sure hey would say "nope, just scrap metal price" but they do account for the copper.... Nice, I have 3- 5 gallon pails of them...... (those suckers are heavy....)
    Iron core with copper windings. I use to get the same price as electric motors for transformers.
    “When I feel the heat, I see the light.”

― Everett Dirksen

Any suggestions on which brand of faucets is the best? Want years of reliability with very hard water, with solid/heavy construction. Considering Kohler's Solid Brass (Antique series). Anyone have experience with any other brands?