Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4145464748495051

Thread: Scrap Metal Tips and Small Talk

Quote Originally Posted by wiliamjake View Post
    Any suggestions on which brand of faucets is the best? Want years of reliability with very hard water, with solid/heavy construction. Considering Kohler's Solid Brass (Antique series). Anyone have experience with any other brands?
    I have really heavy calcium well water and the best faucets I've found are the Moen products. No drips at all, no washers to deal with. I've changed every faucet to Moen now.
    ...be your own Health Care System... grow your own and eat well

I have both Moen and Kohler. Don’t buy entry level grade go with solid brass. Might want to look at a water treatment system.
    I wish a buck was still silver, back when the country was strong. -The Hag

moen honors their lifetime warranty. less costly than kohler, and are easy to work on. moen was my main seller as a plumber for 25 years. all fixtures' trim, ie., chrome plated outer facing are susceptible to calcium and hard water. it doesn't matter what brand so go for the less expensive - moen over kohler. do go for the brass valve underneath though and not the cheaper "builder's" versions.

yes, what maxwell said... buy from a plumbing supply store, not HD or Lowes.... The guts are what counts.... same faucet is not the same faucet.....
    Just because it is legal, does not mean it is right.....

Now that there will be a tariff on steel and alum, what will scrap prices do? Up or down? I going with up.

Quote Originally Posted by bossandy View Post
    Now that there will be a tariff on steel and alum, what will scrap prices do? Up or down? I going with up.
    Up I hope. That steel plant in Burbonnais only uses scrap steel for the melt.
    “When I feel the heat, I see the light.”

― Everett Dirksen

Scrapping prices really picked up this year. With economy and people flush with money.. I learned to strip wire, just connect it to something and pull back with a utility knife. $155 so far this year. I never thought I would scrap iron, really I didn't. But, it's around. My easiest take this year was iron, driving down the street, and found 6 brake discs, take $22.40, load/unload. Still, won't do aluminum, although I did one time this year just to see what I could get for some pretty large pieces that took me about two hours to get ready, only $13. Sometimes I'll bring stuff in just to see what I can get for it, but mostly I stick to the red metal. I just found a box of it tonight, random ac/dc transformers and telephone/cat 5 wiring, I think we get about a dollar lb. for that kind of stuff, but 2.50 for bare wire. Still, it's hardly worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by everything1 View Post
    Scrapping prices really picked up this year. With economy and people flush with money.. I learned to strip wire, just connect it to something and pull back with a utility knife. $155 so far this year. I never thought I would scrap iron, really I didn't. But, it's around. My easiest take this year was iron, driving down the street, and found 6 brake discs, take $22.40, load/unload. Still, won't do aluminum, although I did one time this year just to see what I could get for some pretty large pieces that took me about two hours to get ready, only $13. Sometimes I'll bring stuff in just to see what I can get for it, but mostly I stick to the red metal. I just found a box of it tonight, random ac/dc transformers and telephone/cat 5 wiring, I think we get about a dollar lb. for that kind of stuff, but 2.50 for bare wire. Still, it's hardly worth it.
    so you get more for heavy iron than scrap steel? also, i have buckets of striped copper wire just waiting to take to recycling dump until copper goes back up a bit more.

In Alberta, "junk" steel, which is thin sheet metal and such (old computer towers that have been stripped, the general scrap you find on the side of roads etc) is about 60/ton.
    I sort out everything that is 3/16" or thicker. They pay 220/ton for that. Still not big money but I have a 45 gal drum and just pile it in there until full. Rebar and such adds up faster and pays the higher price. Aluminium I always pick up and just stack it on a pallet. It adds up. Even our cat food cans I crush with a hammer and throw in a barrel. .70/lb for clean aluminium, .35/lb for "irony aluminium" such as frying pans.
    Of course copper and car batteries are the preferred method of making $$ but I have branched out since I have the room to wait until the piles are worth hauling in. Just bought about 30 lbs of wire on an old metal spool for $5 at a garage sale. Have to set up a jig to pull it through to strip it.
    Just because it is legal, does not mean it is right.....

Still collecting and sitting on anything that has a cord. I only go for the big 3 now... copper, brass and alum.