Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Is nickel the Canary?

If nickel stays above $9 per pound today, it appears that nickel will have hit a two year high, according to the Kitco 5 year nickel spot chart.
    Legal Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra
    A variant of this has also been attributed to physicist Niels Bohr, and others.

"Tis against some menís principle to pay interest, and seems against othersí interest to pay the principal." -- Benjamin Franklin

The School of Hard Knocks is where you get the lesson after you fail the test.

Book title: "The Best Way to Rob a Bank Is to Own One"

Quote Originally Posted by Westerner View Post
    At one time, I had a bunch of junk nickels, but then while transporting them to my BOL, my boat hit a floating FIAT berg and sunk into the PITS OF ZOOL along with me other bounties, grrr......
    Any relationship to the Jungle of Nool? My daughter may be headed back there.

"Tis against some menís principle to pay interest, and seems against othersí interest to pay the principal." -- Benjamin Franklin

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsUpDoc1958 View Post
    Any relationship to the Jungle of Nool? My daughter may be headed back there.
    Yes, it's just a bit further to the West and way up North. Where the Giant walruses can fly and small piglets get slaughtered, while the hogs sell it forever forward .....

Default Nickel up to $9.4012 per pound

Nickel up to $9.4012 per pound, according to Kitco.

Nickel up to $9.7339, according to Kitco.

This is the highest since February 2012, and may soon be the highest since September 2011, if it isn't already.
    Last edited by WhatsUpDoc1958; 05-12-2014 at 09:01 PM.

In case any one missed this....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...aterialsSector

World's No.3 ferronickel producer says has supplies lined up

* Indonesia ban on ore exports has sparked wave of supply fears

* Refined nickel prices have rocketed this year (Adds comment, detail)

By Yuka Obayashi

TOKYO, May 13 (Reuters) - Pacific Metals Co Ltd, Japan's biggest ferronickel maker, said it had secured enough supplies of nickel ore for this financial year, amid surging nickel prices as supply concerns grip the market.

London nickel hit a 27-month high on Tuesday as worries mount over a worldwide shortage that has sent buyers of the metal scrambling to secure supplies.

Ferronickel smelters have been hit by Indonesian bans on exports of unprocessed mineral ores that took effect in January. Japan imported 51 percent of its ferronickel materials from the Southeast Asian nation in 2013.

Nickel is highly resistant to corrosion and is mainly used in the production of stainless steel. Ferronickel is an alloy made from iron and nickel ore and is a raw material for stainless steel.

Pacific Metals, the world's No.3 ferronickel producer, plans to cut output by almost 16 percent to 32,500 tonnes in the financial year through March 2015, from 38,530 tonnes a year earlier, Senior Managing Executive Officer Takao Niwayama said on Tuesday.

But that is due to maintenance of facilities, rather than any potential shortage of supplies, he said at a media briefing after the company's earnings were released.

London nickel rose as far as $21,625 a tonne on Tuesday - the highest since February 2012. It has gained about 55 percent this year.

Niwayama described the recent gains in nickel prices as "sharp", but declined to comment when asked if they were excessive.

The company has no immediate plans to build a smelter in Indonesia, where the government is trying to encourage the growth of a local smelting industry with its ban the export of unprocessed ores.

Vale last week shut down nickel production in New Caledonia after an effluent spill, pressuring global supply.

Tensions over Ukraine and fears that an increasingly out of control conflict might eventually result in sanctions against Russia's Norilsk Nickel, a top nickel producer, have also boosted the metal. (Writing by Aaron Sheldrick; Editing by Joseph Radford)

While nickel peaked at $9.65 per pound today, nickel has dropped to $9.3767 per pound, according to Kitco.

Four days ago, nickel dropped almost $1 per pound to $8.5044 from $9.4761, according to Kitco.

Today, nickel has almost recovered, and it's now up to $9.1190.

On the move again. Probably means nothing but it sure is not following the PMs. Up .30 cents today.

Thanks for this thread. Will start following nickel.