Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Visiting the ANACS booth at a coin show ...

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcarr View Post
    ANACS has J.P. Martin and Michael Fahey, both are very well-known numismatists/authenticators/graders.
    Agreed . . . and I give ANACS the nod over both PCGS and NGC every day when it comes to value-of-service on error coins.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissident View Post
    I'll buy NGC if the coin looks good (no cleaning) but prefer PCGS. I prefer circulated coinage over MS stuff which is almost all dipped at some point if it looks white. My barber quarter collection is all PCGS save one.. a 1913-S in an NGC holder. Looked through the safe deposit box to find I have 2 1897-S specimens which I didn't realize. One is pictured in my 'registry set' and another is much better looking but grades a bit lower. Nice chocolate grey toning.

    I'm not a big time player by any means... I collect what I enjoy though I have been 'out of the game' for several years with a rekindled interest. Got 5 more coins on the way not listed here, the main one targeted was the overlooked and undervalued 1899-S. I don't plan on completing this registry set, rather hoarding the semi-key undervalued dates instead.

    http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=44570
    Good deal. I'd rather have a small pile of 97-s, 98-s, and 99-s Barber quarters than a single 01-s, 96-s, or 13-s. Lots of undervalued semi-key dates in this series in the branch mints if you take a serious look. And most don't cost an arm and a leg in nice F-XF condition. Thing is, a lot of people are looking for those same coins. It's no different in seated quarters either.

  3. #23

    Default

    yep I traded away a 1913-s actually for these... ample supply really they are not hard to find. I had two for awhile.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5

    Angry Asssnacks?

    Quote Originally Posted by BodieGhost View Post
    Over the weekend I stopped into the Long Beach Coin and Collectables Expo. One of the many things I wanted to do on this trip was visit the ANACS booth. The reason was to complain.

    You see, I submitted a Capped Bust Half for grading several months ago. It came back graded "AU-50 Details". I was sure this was a mistake. After all, I had several experts look at this coin and all but one thought it was original (and that lone expert wasn't quite sure). So I took pictures of the slabbed coin, and then photos of the coin busted out of its slab. Then I sent the coin off to NGC. Sure enough, it came back as an "AU-58". Now I can accept that grading is subjective and grades will vary between the services, but this seemed way off. The retail difference would be about $1000.

    I took all this evidence - photos, old slab pieces and the coin in an NGC slab - to ANACS to see what they would do about it. Well, this fella named Paul tells me that I pay for their opinion on the grade of a coin ... and that's what I got. There was no offer of a refund or free grading of another coin. No problem. I let him know he queered his business with me and I would use this example as a way to show others how their service operates.

    So there you have it. If you're considering submitting a coin to ANACS, keep in mind my experience with them.
    I had a virtual nightmare with these folks. They kept my coins a month before even doing a thing, then as soon as I mentioned a memorial slab I wanted to do for a passed Tuskegee Airman, well, they quit all communication, returned coins ungraded and insisted I pay shipping for work that had not been attempted in a month. I have a pending Better Business bureau complaint on file as well as two with the FTC. I will sue them should the coins return damaged or vandalized in any way. ASSSNACKS cuts so far back on customer service and treats economy-tier customers so poorly, it makes you wonder about the rest of the operation and where else they may have cut vital services. In short they say they are the oldest service around. Would you want the oldest person in the world looking at your coins? Probably not. Think of ANACS as old in this way and you have a chance to avoid a painful costly and annoying month or two out of your collecting life.

  5. #25

    Default

    Seriously...a grading company that sends back an entire order?
    I could only imagine how the conversation went...
    Something doesn't sound right.

    If I wanted special labeling, I'd have set it up BEFORE I submitted my coins. That way my ducks were in a row when I sent in my order.
    I hate surprises.

    I just don't see a grading company damaging your coins...

    Smells like communication breakdown and probably more

    eh, they still have my business, no problems with any of my orders

    GL with your lawsuit

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    5

    Default

    It wasn't the special order that was returned but a separate order promised 4/7 with zero work done as of 4/6. They returned my coins like spoiled children. They also lost another 2k in fees for the 108 Canadian coins I am now sending to NGC, and pleased to find NGC is 2 bucks less per coin and resale is not an issue, like with ANACS. I was attempting to be a loyal customer to them as they graded some heirloom Morgan dollars for me with free VAM attribution a few years back. But I should have read a current ratings guide, because these people are racist jerks. I hope the coins come back undamaged, but my lawyer will sort them out in short order if they are.

  7. #27

    Default

    With the way China is pumping out the coins these days.. I'm just glad I'm getting a coin that's certified to be legit![/QUOTE]

    first question when finding a counterfeit: where did you get this? US coins have the backing of secret service investigations. I can't believe that china is "pumping out coins" Possibly mexican coins or others but not US.
    "That's not money" - Ben Bernanke

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    I would only use NGC or PCGS. NGC gets a bad rap as it is on their gradings (usually from PCGS fans). I can't imagine anyone shopping on the bay or at a show looking at ANACS or IGC as a legit. service.
    I don't think that is very good advice at all.
    ANACS grades very strictly - much more conservatively than the other big two grading services.
    If you can buy an ANACS coin in an AU-50 holder (for an AU-50 price), and that coin is equivalent to an NGC AU-58, why would you not shop for ANACS coins like that ?

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joebear1221 View Post
    I had a virtual nightmare with these folks. They kept my coins a month before even doing a thing, then as soon as I mentioned a memorial slab I wanted to do for a passed Tuskegee Airman, well, they quit all communication, returned coins ungraded and insisted I pay shipping for work that had not been attempted in a month. I have a pending Better Business bureau complaint on file as well as two with the FTC. I will sue them should the coins return damaged or vandalized in any way. ASSSNACKS cuts so far back on customer service and treats economy-tier customers so poorly, it makes you wonder about the rest of the operation and where else they may have cut vital services. In short they say they are the oldest service around. Would you want the oldest person in the world looking at your coins? Probably not. Think of ANACS as old in this way and you have a chance to avoid a painful costly and annoying month or two out of your collecting life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebear1221 View Post
    It wasn't the special order that was returned but a separate order promised 4/7 with zero work done as of 4/6. They returned my coins like spoiled children. They also lost another 2k in fees for the 108 Canadian coins I am now sending to NGC, and pleased to find NGC is 2 bucks less per coin and resale is not an issue, like with ANACS. I was attempting to be a loyal customer to them as they graded some heirloom Morgan dollars for me with free VAM attribution a few years back. But I should have read a current ratings guide, because these people are racist jerks. I hope the coins come back undamaged, but my lawyer will sort them out in short order if they are.
    I don't believe you AT ALL.
    Your posts are total BS as far as I'm concerned.
    My experience with ANACS is that they grade very stringently, but the service has been problem-free.
    I once knew a person that sent a very expensive coin to ANACS and they certified it as genuine, but "holed and plugged". Sure enough, if you looked very closely in the right spot on the coin, you could see it. The person broke it out of the ANACS holder and sent it to one of the other two major grading companies. It was then certified as genuine, "cleaned" (details graded), but no mention of the plug job.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    25,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcarr View Post
    I don't believe you AT ALL.
    Your posts are total BS as far as I'm concerned.
    My experience with ANACS is that they grade very stringently, but the service has been problem-free.
    I once knew a person that sent a very expensive coin to ANACS and they certified it as genuine, but "holed and plugged". Sure enough, if you looked very closely in the right spot on the coin, you could see it. The person broke it out of the ANACS holder and sent it to one of the other two major grading companies. It was then certified as genuine, "cleaned" (details graded), but no mention of the plug job.
    mr carr

    are you affiliated with this grading company anymore than another, such as the 2 big boys in most's mind...

    best to you, and thank you for all insight you offer here and your other work.. i am a big fan of your work..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •