Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla

biden green act give out more money worth $2.8B for ev's
    https://insideevs.com/news/487380/te...its-green-act/

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    biden green act give out more money worth $2.8B for ev's
    https://insideevs.com/news/487380/te...its-green-act/
    Is that a good thing? Why can't EV's stand on their own without government intervention.

We are getting close to a collapse, so sure, just keep printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
    Is that a good thing? Why can't EV's stand on their own without government intervention.

We are getting close to a collapse, so sure, just keep printing.
    i agree but the mob has spoken

it takes 0.78 btc to buy a tesla model 3

it takes 26.5 oz of gold to buy 1 btc.
    Last edited by yellowsnow; 02-11-2021 at 07:25 PM.

I think we just got a taste for what subsidizing RE energy does without putting in the gridwork(Texas).

EV just needs a push, it's still for the affluent, poorer folk won't have a place to plug it in. Going to be good for fleets (I think). I don't like EV because they pass the loss of petrol tax onto my car registration.

I was into playing EV company equities for profits, but am seeing commercial vehicles as a safer investing bet? I was really into byd, but am looking at bus only outfits now. Getting bus diesels off the city streets will be a push for government. But, big trucks, forget it, for my breathing purposes they are a necessary menace. A friend works railroad and he says one engine burns 800 gallons a weekend just idling.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    The thing is, the batteries are only good for five years or so and then you have to spend as much to buy new batteries as you would to buy another car.
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    They passed a noble law
    Now the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw.

I will not comply.

The Tea Party... quietly plotting to take over the world,
    and leave you the hell alone!

Quote Originally Posted by t00nces2 View Post
    The thing is, the batteries are only good for five years or so and then you have to spend as much to buy new batteries as you would to buy another car.
    Not true at all...there are already 8 yr old Teslas with 300k miles on them...I know the guy from a Tesla forum. Cost to replace a bad battery will vary but will continue to decrease.

Ive only see a couple of people have bad batteries that needed replacement, and it was covered in warranty.

My brother's friend has a 2015 S with over 100k miles and doesnt even want to buy a new one, he loves the one he has, says it drives like the first day he drove it.
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

Quote Originally Posted by Miteysquirrel View Post
    Not true at all...there are already 8 yr old Teslas with 300k miles on them...I know the guy from a Tesla forum. Cost to replace a bad battery will vary but will continue to decrease.

Ive only see a couple of people have bad batteries that needed replacement, and it was covered in warranty.

My brother's friend has a 2015 S with over 100k miles and doesnt even want to buy a new one, he loves the one he has, says it drives like the first day he drove it.
    Right -- Tesla battery degradation is quite low, though not non-existent: https://electrek.co/2020/06/06/tesla...n-replacement/

Per this article from 2018: "Real-world data showed that Tesla battery degradation was less than 10% after over 160,000 miles (257,500 km)"

An updated report for 2020 and their new battery packs is here: https://electrek.co/2020/06/12/tesla...e-packs-equal/

"It shows around 10 to 15% battery degradation between 150,000 to 200,000 miles, which is in line with what owners have reported in previous crowdsourced reports."

Per Electrek data the 90kWh packs do degrade faster than the previous 85kWh packs, but the low rate of degradation is impressive nonetheless. It does suggest, however, that as the company roles out new packs your experience may differ from previous generations which isn't all that surprising. the 90 kWh pack has already been replaced by TSLA, so we will have to wait and see how the newest battery performs to get a better assessment of the latest gen batteries on the road.
    Last edited by Ryanferr; 03-10-2021 at 10:31 AM.
    The answers are in the data

Years down the road, first generation EV will be looked back in embarrassment for some reason or another. Cars are such a big part of the economy but end up in scrapyard eventually, will be interesting to see how that process goes for EV, or were we ever going to make cars that have similar parts, modular break down, long serviceability. Last I heard scrap entrepreneur are filling warehouse racks with the spent or junk EV batteries. The battery would seem to be a weak spot with EV.

Quote Originally Posted by everything1 View Post
    Years down the road, first generation EV will be looked back in embarrassment for some reason or another. Cars are such a big part of the economy but end up in scrapyard eventually, will be interesting to see how that process goes for EV, or were we ever going to make cars that have similar parts, modular break down, long serviceability. Last I heard scrap entrepreneur are filling warehouse racks with the spent or junk EV batteries. The battery would seem to be a weak spot with EV.
    EV battery recycling will be next big business.
    Ex-Tesla executive quit and start this new business. He knows it will be big
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN26S3IU