Page 13 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3789101112131415161718192363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite / Prettiest/ most significant silver coin, bar, or round around ???

Category: Peace Dollar (1921-1935)
    Composition: 90% Silver
    Weight: 26.7300g
    ASW: 0.7734oz
    Diameter: 38.1mm
    I own several of these . Used to keep an even mix of Morgan and Peace but now have more Morgans... I may have to fix that. At any rate; here is a bit about the last true circulated US silver dollar from Wikipedia.
    The Peace dollar is a United States dollar coin minted from 1921 to 1928, and again in 1934 and 1935. Designed by Anthony de Francisci, the coin was the result of a competition to find designs emblematic of peace. Its reverse depicts a Bald Eagle at rest clutching an olive branch, with the legend "Peace". It was the last United States dollar coin to be struck for circulation in silver.
    With the passage of the Pittman Act in 1918, the United States Mint was required to strike millions of silver dollars, and began to do so in 1921, using the Morgan dollar design. Numismatists began to lobby the Mint to issue a coin that memorialized the peace following World War I; although they failed to get Congress to pass a bill requiring the redesign, they were able to persuade government officials to take action. The Peace dollar was approved by Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon in December 1921, completing the redesign of United States coinage that had begun in 1907.
    The public believed the announced design, which included a broken sword, was illustrative of defeat, and the Mint hastily acted to remove the sword. The Peace dollar was first struck on December 28, 1921; just over a million were coined bearing a 1921 date. When the Pittman Act requirements were met in 1928, the mint ceased to strike the coins, but more were struck in 1934 and 1935 as a result of other legislation. In 1965, the mint struck over 300,000 Peace dollars bearing a 1964 date, but these were never issued, and all are believed to have been melted. for the rest go here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_Dollar
    Last edited by windweaver77; 07-30-2013 at 01:11 PM.

The Gobrecht Dollar
    United States of America
    Value 1 U.S. dollar
    Mass 26.73–26.92 g
    Edge Reeded
    Composition
    89.2% silver, 10.8% copper (some 1836 issues)
    90% silver, 10% copper (1836–1839)
    Years of minting 1836–1859
    Obverse
    I own zero of these... but it sure is on a short list of dream finds
    Here is some information from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobrecht_Dollar
    The Gobrecht dollar, minted from 1836 to 1839, was the first silver dollar struck for circulation by the United States Mint since production of that denomination was officially halted in 1806. The coin was struck in small numbers to determine whether the reintroduced silver dollar would be well received by the public.
    In 1835, Director of the United States Mint Samuel Moore resigned his post, and Robert M. Patterson assumed the position. Shortly after, Patterson began an attempt to redesign the nation's coinage. After Mint Chief Engraver William Kneass suffered a stroke later that year, Christian Gobrecht was hired as an engraver. On August 1, Patterson wrote a letter to Philadelphia artist Thomas Sully laying out his plans for the dollar coin. He also asked Titian Peale to create a design for the coin. Sully created an obverse design depicting a seated representation of Liberty and Peale a reverse depicting a soaring bald eagle, which were converted into coin designs by Gobrecht. After the designs were created and trials struck, production of the working dies began in September 1836.
    After a small quantity was struck for circulation, the Mint received complaints regarding the prominent placement of Gobrecht's name on the dollar, and the design was modified to incorporate his name in a less conspicuous position. In January 1837, the legal standard for the percentage of precious metal in silver coins was changed from 89.2% to 90%, and the Gobrecht dollars struck after that point reflect this change. In total, 1,900 Gobrecht dollars were struck during the official production run. Production of the Seated Liberty dollar, which utilized the same obverse design as the Gobrecht dollar, began mintage in 1840. In the 1850s, Mint officials controversially re-struck the coins without authorization.

today's featured coin

Metal Silver (.925)
    Weight 35.7 g
    Diameter 38.5 mm
    Thickness 4 mm
    Shape Round
    I own two of these they actually have an ASW over 1 troy ounce. They are pretty cool I think... here are some details from APMEX :
    This coin commemorates the 11th Central American and Caribbean Games of 1970. The designer of this coin is Gilroy Roberts former Chief Engraver of the U.S. Mint, who also crafted the obverse of the Kennedy half dollar.
    The silver content of this coin is 1.0617 ounces. KM#28.
    http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces18272.html
    Last edited by windweaver77; 02-20-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Couple of my favorites from my stack......

Simplicity and stunning design.

Some Texas history....

I eventually sent this to PCGS and it was graded MS 64+.

Right now favorite, as it just came in the mail.. Silver Dirham, from a mint in Jakarta, always wanted one, just kind of a bad photo by me. Fineness .9995, weight 14.875, dimension 27 mm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by everything1; 08-03-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Talking Still have hard time with pics but!

Favorite bar is a very low serial # 5 oz
    Pamp lady Fortuna bar, for round It's
    A toss between a 5oz norfed and a 82
    Daniel Moore bear Bryant coin limited in
    Numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf View Post
    sorting though some of my cigar boxes yesterday, I found a .999 silver bar with a M-16 rifle engraved on the front. When one of my two U.S. Marine nephews (he is on the ground , now, can't tell my brother where.) returns, I will give it to him as a lucky charm.. The other nephew who is a Marine has never left the U.S., I'll find something for him, but the one who is overseas, in harms way, gets the M-16 art bar.
    Do you have a photo of it? Can you tell us a bit about it. Where you got it where others could possibly get one? who made it?

Many here are silver voyeurs and like to watch and learn...

Same to all if you have a hunk of PM you want to show case and tell us about this is the place

Default today's featured coin

Considered by some great via marketeering to be the first "modern" Commemorative ( this is bologna as the modern Era was ending when this coin was struck). These 90% half dollars came in proof and uncirculated varieties. They were struck in honor of the 250th anniversary of George Washington's birth. The obverse features Washington on horseback while in uniform, while the reverse has Mt. Vernon on it. That is Washingtons famous home for those not familiar. Minted in 1982 these were the first commemorative half dollars struck since 1954.

I own two of these coins one is proof one is uncirculated both have COA in original box. The price of silver in 1982 made these a tough pill to swallow from what I gather. Two decades of looking at these and thinking of the loss one took had to hurt. There was a nice little premium on them back then. They also had a huge issue number over 7 million total. I am sure some on this forum were around for these and can share some tales. All and all though it is not a bad looking coin. With some significance since it kicked off the frenzy of commemorative dollars and a few silver halves that have come out since. actually I believe the constitution half is the only other silver half since with a commemorative design. But I could be wrong. correct me if I am. These are arguably better looking than the constitution half and way less pricey.
    Last edited by windweaver77; 08-06-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silverboyxxx View Post
    Favorite bar is a very low serial # 5 oz
    Pamp lady Fortuna bar, for round It's
    A toss between a 5oz norfed and a 82
    Daniel Moore bear Bryant coin limited in
    Numbers!
    Is $ 36.00 to much for a 2009 Norfed $20 1 oz. Silver Proof Art Round ?

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post
    Considered by some great via marketeering to be the first "modern" Commemorative ( this is bologna as the modern Era was ending when this coin was struck). These 90% half dollars came in proof and uncirculated varieties. They were struck in honor of the 250th anniversary of George Washington's birth. The obverse features Washington on horseback while in uniform, while the reverse has Mt. Vernon on it. That is Washingtons famous home for those not familiar. Minted in 1982 these were the first commemorative half dollars struck since 1954.

I own two of these coins one is proof one is uncirculated both have COA in original box. The price of silver in 1982 made these a tough pill to swallow from what I gather. Two decades of looking at these and thinking of the loss one took had to hurt. There was a nice little premium on them back then. They also had a huge issue number over 7 million total. I am sure some on this forum were around for these and can share some tales. All and all though it is not a bad looking coin. With some significance since it kicked off the frenzy of commemorative dollars and a few silver halves that have come out since. actually I believe the constitution half is the only other silver half since with a commemorative design. But I could be wrong. correct me if I am. These are arguably better looking than the constitution half and way less pricey.
    I am a big fan of Washington and this coin. Own ten of them or so both proof and unc. Nice coin for a nice price