Page 11 of 155 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516172161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite / Prettiest/ most significant silver coin, bar, or round around ???

I love the 2008 and 2009 Kookaburras. The Series 2 Lunar Tiger is nice too.
    "Give a man a gun and he can rob a Bank, give a man a Bank and he can rob the world."

Any information or chart annotations that I provide are for speculation and not to be taken as Financial Advice. I post such speculation to express ideas, theories and provoke discussion, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post
    Here's my new favorite...

I SO want one of these!

Tim
    He drove a black and white pirate ship at 190 mph.
    - Dale in the #3 will never be forgotten. Thanks for the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSum View Post
    Here's my new favorite...

That's pretty cool, but DAMN...initial googling indicates extreme ripoff. What was the initial offering price?

C_

Quote Originally Posted by callaway29 View Post
    That's pretty cool, but DAMN...initial googling indicates extreme ripoff. What was the initial offering price?

C_
    Yes it is expensive... considering it is just 6 oz piece of silver but I will not call it ripoff.... there are some 1 oz Perth Mint coins that sell for over $100 and their mintages are much bigger...this cylindrycal coin is very unique and only 2500 were minted.

0.5 gram gold Koala coin that Perth Mint sells for $50...with mintage unlimited. If you would like to buy 32 of those Koalas 1 oz of gold will cost you $3000

If 0.5 Koala is too cheap you can always buy Canada 2010 Caribou 25 Cents 0.5 Gram .9999 Pure Gold Quarter Proof minted at 15000 and already sold at mint... but available at Talisman Coins for just 89.95 which means 1 oz of gold in those coins can cost you $5500

Everything I write in my posts is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jbsilver View Post
    Yes it is expensive... considering it is just 6 oz piece of silver but I will not call it ripoff.... there are some 1 oz Perth Mint coins that sell for over $100 and their mintages are much bigger...this cylindrycal coin is very unique and only 2500 were minted.

0.5 gram gold Koala coin that Perth Mint sells for $50...with mintage unlimited. If you would like to buy 32 of those Koalas 1 oz of gold will cost you $3000

If 0.5 Koala is too cheap you can always buy Canada 2010 Caribou 25 Cents 0.5 Gram .9999 Pure Gold Quarter Proof minted at 15000 and already sold at mint... but available at Talisman Coins for just 89.95 which means 1 oz of gold in those coins can cost you $5500

If you think it's worth $100/oz then more power to you, but this marks low on the list for items in that category for me. It is cool though...no doubt. If it was cheaper I'd own one for sure...

C_

Personally I really like the Ceilings of Heaven nano coins.
    http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo105/Sparkie6678/Kitco%20Contests/Trophies/SilverTrophy1.jpg

I would say the Morgan silver dollar because its bold design represented the US as a rich and powerful nation of that period.

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post
    My first thread starting post, let me start by saying that one of the ways I found this forum was the least favorite silver thread. Does not have to be aesthetics based either. Perhaps you respect a type of silver for historical reasons. Post all of your favorites here. No limit of course and show case it. Tell us about it. When/where was it made? Who made it? What is the silver content? Who or what is on the silver? What can you tell us about who / what is depicted on your hunk of silver? How many do you own if any? Anything else you feel like adding. Should be fun to see the responses.

500 Lire Caravelle

I own 1 of these. Purely a pick for prettiest.

Diameter:29,5 mm
    Metals: Silver 835
    Weight: 11g
    Edge: ***date***REPVBBLICA ITALIANA
    This nice coin was minted in the years 1957- 1967.
    The coin represent the three Caravels, were not minted in 1962 and 1963 because on that years were minted 500 Lire for the centenary of Unity of Italy.
    On Obverse it is represented the bust of a lady in renaissance's style, looking left. Around the coat of arms of 19 Italian cities. Below the name of the engraver: Giampaoli. The coin have the date with the inscription 'Repvbblica Italiana' along its edging.
    The Obverse was designed by Pietro Giampaoli the was the master engraver of the mint, he had modeled the profile of women inspired by its wife, Letizia Savonitto. Simple in design, this 'caravels' silver 500 Lira coin has been engraved and cut to highlight the beautiful woman. Due to its timeless charm, this would look superb on any silver chain or indeed leather cord.
    This piece was originally designed by the artist for his wife to celebrate their 10 years of marriage.

The coat of arms of the 19 cities or country are from the bottom left clockwise: Genova, Torino, Aosta, Milano, Trento, Venezia, Trieste ed Udine, Bologna, Firenze, Ancona, Perugina, Roma, L'Aquila, Napoli, Bari, Potenza, Catanzaro, Sicilia, Cagliari.

Exist 1024 exemplars of this coin minted in 1957 with the writing PROVA on the reverse, those coins were donated to our parliamentary who were at the end of their first parliamentary mandate, the value of this coin is very high, can be over 9000$!
    At the end of 1957 pictures of the coin were on newspapers and a mariner, the captain Di Calabria observed that the top flags of the Caravels were flying against the wind. After that there was a lot of rumours about this "error", some expert said the boats were simply sailing near to the wind. So the sail were correctly represented. Altho if there weren't any error the Government decided to change the dies. The first circulating coin have the 1958 date.
    I have a few of those L500s and they are pretty. My favourite is the Canadian Voyageur.

The two greatest silver coins have to be the Austrian MTT and the US silver dollar (any incarnation ). The MTT for being the premier international trade coin and the US silver dollar for being an icon. There isn't a human on earth who doesn't have a mental image of a silver dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by kent bull View Post
    I have a few of those L500s and they are pretty. My favourite is the Canadian Voyageur.

The two greatest silver coins have to be the Austrian MTT and the US silver dollar (any incarnation ). The MTT for being the premier international trade coin and the US silver dollar for being an icon. There isn't a human on earth who doesn't have a mental image of a silver dollar.

I own a few of these more US silver dollars though.
    I do not own any of these to many fakes abound. Restrikes are fine but just so many fakes... lovely coin though.

US silver dollars are great stuff. although Spanish 8 reales are heavier and almost as iconic.( even more so in many circles since they were technically US silver dollars as well)
    Last edited by windweaver77; 07-23-2013 at 03:37 PM.

THE GOTHIC CROWN

this from Wikipedia I do not own one but I do have a Gothic head Florin... I know not nearly as exciting.
    The coin's origins lay in the English silver crown, one of many silver coins that appeared in various countries from the 16th century onwards, the most famous example perhaps being pieces of eight, all of which were of a similar size and weight (approx 38mm diameter and containing approx 25 grams of fine silver) and thus interchangeable in international trade.[1] The kingdom of England also minted gold Crowns in the 16th and 17th centuries.
    The British crown was always a large coin, and from the 19th century it did not circulate well. However, crowns were usually struck in a new monarch's coronation year, true of each monarch since George IV up until the present monarch in 1953, with the single exception of George V.
    The Queen Victoria "Gothic" crown of 1847 (mintage just 8,000 and produced to celebrate the Gothic revival) is considered by many to be the most beautiful British coin ever minted.
    Crown
    Kingdom of Great Britain until 1800, thereafter United Kingdom
    Value five shillings
    Diameter 38 mm
    Edge Milled
    Composition Sterling silver until 1920(asw .8409); 50% silver until 1947(asw .4205); thereafter cupro-nickel
    Years of minting 1707–1965
    Last edited by windweaver77; 07-25-2013 at 06:29 AM.