Page 105 of 155 FirstFirst ... 5559599100101102103104105106107108109110111115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1543

Thread: Favorite / Prettiest/ most significant silver coin, bar, or round around ???

From this site ... http://www.silveragecoins.com/mobile....php?item=4334The sixpence, known colloquially as the tanner or half-shilling, was a British pre-decimal coin worth six pence, 1/40th of a pound sterling.

In England, the first sixpences were struck in the reign of Edward VI in 1551 and continued until they were rendered obsolete by decimalisation in 1971. Along with the shilling (12 pennies) and the florin (or two shillings), the last general issue sixpence was issued in 1967 and a special proof version struck for inclusion in the farewell proof set of 1970. However, sixpences, shillings and florins continued to be legal tender at values of 2, 5 and 10 new pence respectively.

Sixpences were originally supposed to be demonetized upon decimalization in 1971. However, due to public outcry, they remained legal tender until 1980.

As the supply of silver threepence coins slowly disappeared, sixpences replaced them as the coins that were put into Christmas puddings and children would hope to be the lucky one to find the sixpence, no doubt also encouraging children to eat their pudding.

They have also been seen as a lucky charm for brides. There is an old rhyme which goes "Something old, something new, Something borrowed, something blue, And a sixpence for her shoe."

How do we feel about the old six pence?
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

The sixpence is a beauty but not nearly as exciting as a "Fish on!". My favorite.

I own one of these...

Country Soviet Union (USSR)
    Years 1924-1927
    Value 1 Poltinnik (0.50 SUR)
    Metal Silver (.900)
    Weight 10 g
    Diameter 26.67 mm
    Thickness 2.15 mm
    Shape Round
    http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces4623.html

pretty sweet design... what say you ?

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

So this is a thing of beauty... Even if my photography skills do not do it justice.

Favorite coins can be just favorite individual coins you own ... Even if the variety has been discussed.

Country Mexico (Republic)
    Years 1824-1897
    Value 8 Reales (8)
    Metal Silver (.903)
    Weight 27.07 g
    Diameter 38.9 mm
    Shape Round
    http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7394.html

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post
    So this is a thing of beauty... Even if my photography skills do not do it justice.

Favorite coins can be just favorite individual coins you own ... Even if the variety has been discussed.

Country Mexico (Republic)
    Years 1824-1897
    Value 8 Reales (8)
    Metal Silver (.903)
    Weight 27.07 g
    Diameter 38.9 mm
    Shape Round
    http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7394.html
    Love this coin minted in Zacatecas!

I own one of these...

Country Soviet Union (USSR)
    Years 1924-1927
    Value 1 Poltinnik (0.50 SUR)
    Metal Silver (.900)
    Weight 10 g
    Diameter 26.67 mm
    Thickness 2.15 mm
    Shape Round
    http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces4623.html

Yup. It has a great design. I wish it was the proof version (for your sake). Generally, I tend to like unc coins more than proofs even though they're supposedly prettier. It's not that I don't like proofs, I do. It's just that it's harder to maintain the condition of coins meant for circulation, ergo...their value is oftentimes determined by condition and they're worth more which is what I like to look for as well as low mintage

Very nice design.

Sometimes practical uses are priceless

Perhaps my holed coins could be ornaments as well.

This is a little piece of sterling I picked up a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Euchrid View Post
    The sixpence is a beauty but not nearly as exciting as a "Fish on!". My favorite.

i have one of these now.

Default Old pour ingot

Some nice coins here. This is my "most significant" bar, simply because I have never seen another like it, and it may be extremely rare. If anyone has ever seen an "ELECTRUM" bar, I'd like to know ! Thanks !
    Attached Images Attached Images