Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the oldest coin you have?

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    Looks like I'll be looking for some of those Pillar Dollars. I'm not looking for certified, as I want to be able to handle the actual metal -- just ones in good enough condition to make out the basic design clearly. Fine/extra fine is good enough, hope to be able to find several to share when presenting to kids on the the history of the dollar.
    Post up what coins you are looking for, theres a good chance the guy I buy from has it or can get it.
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    Thanks for sharing -- does your cat take greater interest in any particular coins?
    Eva loves all things shiny. Though, I think she prefers smaller stuff, easier to play with...I should imagine.
    "Compulsory altruism is none too altruistic." - me

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Quote Originally Posted by windweaver77 View Post
    Here's some Spanish stuff I have come upon.
    https://youtu.be/olOAMWxWuW8
    Hey Josh,

I just watched your video and really liked your history lesson on Mexican and Spanish coinage. It was fun and interesting. I did want to point out a couple of things. At one point, you held up an 1857 4 reale in a 2x2 flip, but I think it was an 1852. I believe that you were just looking at the date written on the flip and not the actual coin because it did look like it could go either way- a 7 or a 2. I also wanted to point out that throughout all of my high school and college years, I took Spanish and I believe that the word peseta is pronounced " puh-say-ta" , not puh-sah-ta. Sorry, that will be the end of my grammar nazi lesson for today. (and it was with Spanish words and not English!) Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by bronkster1967 View Post
    Hey Josh,

I just watched your video and really liked your history lesson on Mexican and Spanish coinage. It was fun and interesting. I did want to point out a couple of things. At one point, you held up an 1857 4 reale in a 2x2 flip, but I think it was an 1852. I believe that you were just looking at the date written on the flip and not the actual coin because it did look like it could go either way- a 7 or a 2. I also wanted to point out that throughout all of my high school and college years, I took Spanish and I believe that the word peseta is pronounced " puh-say-ta" , not puh-sah-ta. Sorry, that will be the end of my grammar nazi lesson for today. (and it was with Spanish words and not English!) Lol!
    Thanks for the helpful hints. I often mispronounce stuff, especially foreign stuff haha

"All of us necessarily hold many casual opinions that are ludicrously wrong simply because life is far too short for us to think through even a small fraction of the topics that we come across." -- Julian Simon

Thanks for the helpful hints. I often mispronounce stuff, especially foreign stuff haha
    Ehh, it's nothing. I do it all the time too!

I have a vary good to fine 1836 half dime. Got it from Littleton coin and stamp company around 1976 for a dollar or two, IIRC.
    Small business is the incubator of employment. As it declines, so too do opportunities for first jobs, second chances and economic independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Westerner View Post
    I have a vary good to fine 1836 half dime. Got it from Littleton coin and stamp company around 1976 for a dollar or two, IIRC.
    That's a nice find. The CDN/Greysheet has current wholesale bid prices at $65 and $77 respectively for those grades. Retail would be another 10-20% on top of that, so I'd say it was a nice buy-and-hold appreciation. I've got a few myself comfortably sitting in an album- an 1834 and 1858 in AU and an 1854 with arrows and an 1873 in MS-63/4. I can also attest that I paid significantly more than a dollar or two for each of them, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Westerner View Post
    I have some half- dimes too... we call them war nickels
    https://youtu.be/j4xGU662doI

Just kidding here are my actual half dimes
    https://youtu.be/TBN0gKqBDgM

Any idea on the grades on these. I got them for $1.50 each with those capped bust dimes i got for $1.80 per.

Any idea on the grades on these. I got them for $1.50 each with those capped bust dimes i got for $1.80 per.
    Need better pictures or video. Would guess the later ones you had 1861 or 2? Vary Good.
    Small business is the incubator of employment. As it declines, so too do opportunities for first jobs, second chances and economic independence.

I have to agree with Westerner. It's a little difficult to assess the grades because we can't see them in hand and there's just too much movement in the video which precludes us from seeing the details of the coins. As you know, not being able to loupe them and determine if they're cleaned makes it hard to grade them. As a general rule, in no way are they junk silver. Also in general, even in "good" condition (G-4 or G-6 on a scale of 0 to 70), they're in the neighborhood of $20 each (per the CDN) so perhaps another 10-20% for retail pricing. Getting any of them for under $2 each was a very good deal for you. The bent one and the really blown out ones not so much.

I know you won't always get the choice, but if you can, always try to find them with a full "Liberty" on the shields which usually will get them a "Fine" grade (a grade where prices often start to jump). Capped Bust half dimes from 1829-1837 will generally be in the $50 range in "good" condition and Liberty Seated half dimes from 1837-1873 will often be about $20 in good condition. All in all, you did great!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast