Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the oldest coin you have?

1879 Morgan along with a 1879 10$ Gold coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Miteysquirrel View Post
    You buy slabbed? I had all my good stuff sent for grading, the others I gave away as gifts.
    Nope, not slabbed most are in flips, some in 2X2s. Got most about 35 years ago. Most were mail auction. Ancient Coin Auction, Francis Rath, Scott Semans and other dealers that I don't remember. Got more Roman Republic and Empire denarii, antoniniani, AEs than Greek, though. Those were bargain days! Still got my Seaby and Sear reference book. Last ones of those that I got was in around 1993 - they were current then...
    Last edited by ParlayTheHard8; 03-14-2013 at 04:05 PM.

First Century silver denarius.

BLSH I also have an 1863 3 cent nickel, just not XF! Those and the silver trimes are some of the coolest coins I own.

I think everyone has me beat. I'm only in the early 1800's with 3 bust halfs. Obviously the ancient collectors will have the oldest & I don't even know if those early coins were dated. Hey, just kidding.

Upload of file failed.
    Can I get a mods help here?
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

Quote Originally Posted by SILVER PATRON View Post
    I think everyone has me beat. I'm only in the early 1800's with 3 bust halfs. Obviously the ancient collectors will have the oldest & I don't even know if those early coins were dated. Hey, just kidding.
    I think some are 2011 china

271 A.D. (supposedly) Caracalla/Denarius (VF)
    308 A.D. Maximianus, Reverse: Tycle, Alexandria Mint (VF)
    1828 Half Cent AU 53 BN

Had to dig in here to find me, got so lost in politics, interest in coins faded....but im back.
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. -Mark Twain

The purpose of life is to matter, to be productive, to have it make some difference that you lived at all. -Leo Rosten

Just checked to answer this thread: 1842 gold eagle that I purchased at a small premium typical of common bullion. In 2nd is a large penny and half dime both dated 1853, then an 1855 gold sovereign that also came at bullion price. Not into the ancients (yet), though right now I'm looking for original U.S. dollar, and also a Spanish Real because I'm most interested in the history of the dollar. Maybe a "Continental Dollar" to?
    “Of all the contrivances for cheating the laboring class of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money.”Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

Quote Originally Posted by motocat View Post
    Just checked to answer this thread: 1842 gold eagle that I purchased at a small premium typical of common bullion. In 2nd is a large penny and half dime both dated 1853, then an 1855 gold sovereign that also came at bullion price. Not into the ancients (yet), though right now I'm looking for original U.S. dollar, and also a Spanish Real because I'm most interested in the history of the dollar. Maybe a "Continental Dollar" to?
    Spanish Milled Dollars or Pieces of Eight are very interesting as they were legal tender in the United States until 1857. The banking system in place back then did not have sufficient quantities of Dollars and because of that had to rely on those Pillar Dollars. The large numbers of Bust Halves extant also filled the needs of the industry...
    Build a fire and warm a man for a day.
    Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life
    .:

If you see something...Shoot something! Ima Hunter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast