Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ANACS vs NGC and PCGS

Default Confirmed, those boys got it wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by BodieGhost View Post
    I got back a couple of coins I submitted to ANACS and was surprised to see they graded one coin AU50 Details. Many experts have seen this coin, including one from PCGS, and only a single coin dealer thought it was cleaned. I think ANACS got it wrong on this one. I'll break it out of the slab to submit it to one of the other services. If that other service agrees with me, ANACS will have queered their business with me.
    Revived an old thread to follow up on the coin mentioned above. It was an 1818 Capped Bust Half I bought a few years back on the Bay. As I said above, I was stunned to get it back from ANACS as AU 50 Details. Convinced they had made a mistake I broke it out of its slab and submitted it to NGC. I got it back today and lo and behold, it came back as AU 58. So what's the market price difference between an AU50 Details and an AU58? Only about $1000.

This experience has put a bad taste in my mouth. ANACS has officially queered their business with me.

Quote Originally Posted by dcarr View Post

Coins that still carry their ANACS certification from 30 years ago (the old photo-certificates) are often worth a premium.
    This is not true, I can tell you from my experience.

I had quite a few coins that I sent to ANACS many years ago, and went to a FUN show in Florida, about 2 years ago. At the show was a ANACS booth. I inquried about sending them back to be re-slabed for a small fee, like PCGS does, and was told that the certificates were worthless, and they would have to be graded again!

Plus, a few years ago on another forum, I had a chance to speak with one of the original graders, that I spoke to at the time about a grade on one of my $20 St.G, and was told the same thing!

So why is there a premium on a worthless certificate. Are you investing in the coin grade or just a picture?

Default Numismatic guy

Bought a 2013 EU70 ANACS First Day of Issue Limited Edition of 2898 Silver

Eagle Dollar Coin last month and trying to find out the value money wise.

Thanks

shark

Quote Originally Posted by Sharksbb View Post
    Bought a 2013 EU70 ANACS First Day of Issue Limited Edition of 2898 Silver

Eagle Dollar Coin last month and trying to find out the value money wise.

Thanks

shark
    hope you didn't purchase off of HSN?
    The 'first day of issue' designation is a sales ploy only used by the TPG. The 2898, does not take into account the coins graded by other TPGs or those that remain raw/ungraded.
    From the US Mint... "First Strike" or "First Release" Designations
    An ungraded set can be purchased from the bay for 180FRN.

I had a set graded by PCGS and flipped for a little more than 100FRN over the Mint's price.

"Buy the coin, not the label"
    Best wishes
    Last edited by tekhen; 09-04-2013 at 03:33 AM.

Personally I've had nothing but bad luck with ANACS. I've sent crossover submissions to both PCGS and NGC and both times, the coins came back with lower grades than the ANACS holder. 3 came back cleaned!!!!!!! That really pissed me off.

The only good thing is buyers tend to shy away from ANACS if PCGS and NGC are available so sometimes you can score great deals. Remember, buy the coin, not the holder.
    Just say NO to Fiat!

Default ANACS vs NGC

Quote Originally Posted by BodieGhost View Post
    I'm just wondering what you coin collectors think of the grading services. I know PCGS and NGC are highly regarded, but in your view is ANACS really something you wouldn't deal with?

The reason I ask is because I have a few rare numi coins I wanted to submit to PCGS or NGC. But I was at a coin show and they had an ANACS booth. I learned I didn't have to become a member to submit coins. OK, why not submit an 1881-CC Morgan I had on me. The coin came back and I actually like the new slab. You can view the edge of it to see the condition of the reeded portion of the coin. I've since submitted a couple of other coins to them.

My question is, is there any good reason to stop doing business with them? Most of the coins I plan on submitting to them are valued between $350 and $1000. Anything more, I may use one of the other services.
    My experience with ANACS is a nightmare. Suffice to say that their customer service is light-years away from NGC or PCGS. I also get my modern Canadian coins graded at NGC for 2 bucks less per coin, so that helps defray the cost of membership. NGC also has an online submission form that is very convenient. ANACS cuts corners so badly on customer service, it makes you wonder about other areas they would cut quality in favor of profits. Also, customers on the economy tier can anticipate slow service, slowest in the business, and arrogant, juvenile staff to deal with. If choosing ANACS, Good Luck!

IDK...I've always gotten my Q's answered by the staff at ANACS, emails responded back quickly, etc...no one ever just "blew me off" but I've never looked at any of them as if they "owe" me anything other than what I've paid for...and that's worked out quite well for me, across all three grading houses

I paid for grading like anyone else. On 4/6 they sent back my last two orders one ungraded with a refund. The ship date was 4/7 on the order, so they did nothing for nearly a month. Glad you have such good rapport with those racist jerks. Enjoy! I will personally enjoy the professional customer service and up-to-date technology of NGC, as well as superior resale values. Have fun with number two or three or whatever they are. How is it you think I feel ASSSNACKS Owes me anything, other than undamaged returns? Do you read much?

Not a fan of slabs. Probably easier to forge a coin when it is wrapped in plastic. You can't test it at all, unless by machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmhey View Post
    Not a fan of slabs. Probably easier to forge a coin when it is wrapped in plastic. You can't test it at all, unless by machine.
    The grading services slab is their confirmation of authenticity - no further testing is necessary. With so many coins in the market being fakes, slabbed coins give buyers a dose of confidence. Yes, I know, there are also fake slabs out there but the grading services can pick them out easily.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123