Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ANACS vs NGC and PCGS

Default ANACS vs NGC and PCGS

I'm just wondering what you coin collectors think of the grading services. I know PCGS and NGC are highly regarded, but in your view is ANACS really something you wouldn't deal with?

The reason I ask is because I have a few rare numi coins I wanted to submit to PCGS or NGC. But I was at a coin show and they had an ANACS booth. I learned I didn't have to become a member to submit coins. OK, why not submit an 1881-CC Morgan I had on me. The coin came back and I actually like the new slab. You can view the edge of it to see the condition of the reeded portion of the coin. I've since submitted a couple of other coins to them. Non-food deals of Coles Catalogue are good as the grocery sales.

My question is, is there any good reason to stop doing business with them? Most of the coins I plan on submitting to them are valued between $350 and $1000. Anything more, I may use one of the other services.
    Last edited by jdourekas; 10-18-2020 at 01:01 PM.

I have crappy coins from PCGS and NGC.

70's that are not 70 grade coins, labeled coins that are not what the label says...

ANACS, on the other hand has provided competent service and has never over-graded/under-graded to any degree where I have had an issue with them.

I sent in identical coins, same roll, same die break to PCGS and ANACS.
    ANACS was actually one grade lower than PCGS...neither coin was circulated, etc...

I have to admit, I do send out error coins and ANACS certifies more errors than PCGS, so, for me, it was a no-brainer to use ANACS.

Browse: Publix ad this week and Kroger ad this week on WeeklyAds2.

Anyone who has a REAL preference and argues/bad mouths one over the other is simply stacking based upon their own experience, and I am fine with that. To each his own...

What I am saying is ANACS has treated me very well and the coins I flip, I get PCGS prices/going market prices for them so, I suggest if you use ANACS you will have no issues different than any of the other two AND you will end up with a few extra bucks in your pocket.
    Last edited by SuperMod; 11-13-2020 at 05:26 PM.

I see no reason not to use them even though most prefer the other 2. They grade, authenticate, & may be even less expensive with a faster turnaround. These would be the only 3 grading services I would use IMO. But it's all a matter of preference.

Default certified coins

Every week the CDN (Coin Dealer Newsletter) does a comparison of the major coin certification services and so using the averages from high to low, the highest ranking is NGC (82.94%), then PCGS (82.67%), third is ICG (67.59%) and finally in fourth place ANACS ((67.01%).
    Build a fire and warm a man for a day.
    Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life
    .:

If you see something...Shoot something! Ima Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by 300WBY View Post
    Every week the CDN (Coin Dealer Newsletter) does a comparison of the major coin certification services and so using the averages from high to low, the highest ranking is NGC (82.94%), then PCGS (82.67%), third is ICG (67.59%) and finally in fourth place ANACS ((67.01%).
    Those rankings are more for show than go. Market pricing clearly shows a preference towards PCGS coins. Other than for totally generic coins sight-unseen trading is is basically the rule (ie BU common Morgans and gold type) PCGS coins bring about 5-15% more than NGC coins. It's been that way for the past 15 years. ANACS coins can be ok. But most dealers (ie buyers) treat them as no different than raw coins. Most dealers will offer you next grade down pricing for your ANACS coin unless it's simply a great coin for the grade. But dealers will try to sell their ANACS and NGC coins to the public for nearly the same price as PCGS. There is also no way the coin market ranks NGC as higher than PCGS. I've been a fan of NGC since they first opened in 1987. And when I had more extensive coin holdings, 85% of my coins were NGC. But times change. The 2009-2010 market downturn and the advent of CAC has definitely hurt the NGC product when compared to PCGS. If ANACS coins carried full market standing and liquidty as the other leading grading services, then why doesn't CAC review these coins as well? Not a hard question to answer. Fwiw I love the early ANACS holders from 1990 (gold foil hologram on reverse). Those coins tend to be very conservatively graded compared to today's standards. And in those early days of grading, the ANACS product was essentially on par with PCGS and NGC. But even then, those other 2 ruled the roost. I actively search for those gold hologram holders looking for undergraded coins.

I'd stay with the top two if only for liquidity and saleability. In the same assigned grade the PCGS coin will always bring more money. And it is a much more liquid coin as well. When I was a dealer from 1988-2009 I always had to sell ANACS coins at considerable discounts (to other dealers). The 81-cc Morgan has a pretty tight spread from MS61 to MS64 grades. In this instance the holder is not that big a deal. It's also a very popular coin where the spread from raw to slabbed is not that large. The holder here means far less than in other situations. But if you have coins that double in price between grades and cost hundreds to thousands of dollars each, I'd choose PCGS or NGC for those.

The last time I had an ANACS coin (1842-0 sd quarter in Good 4 where I paid $675) I was unable to sell it for PCGS money, not even close. The coin was totally problem free, orig toned, full rims, choice for the grade with letters of "liberty" showing. Several dealers loved the coin and offered to pay me $750-$850 IF I got it into a PCGS holder. They could not use it in the ANACS holder unless I lowered my price to where I'd take a loss on it. When submitted to PCGS it came back a Good 6. It then became instantly saleable.
    Last edited by Numisgold; 02-25-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Darn!

Thank you for the replies 300WBY, SILVER PATRON and Chump Change. .

Anyone else have experience with ANACS?

Obvious to me, many have not really seen the crap that comes from ICG...

High grades given to low grade coins. I once had an MS70 with a large scratch on the obverse of the coin, in an ICG holder. The scratch was visible without a loop.

Stay away from their graded coins unless you get them at spot or less

Quote Originally Posted by Numisgold View Post
    Those rankings are more for show than go. Market pricing clearly shows a preference towards PCGS coins. Other than for totally generic coins sight-unseen trading is is basically the rule (ie BU common Morgans and gold type) PCGS coins bring about 5-15% more than NGC coins. It's been that way for the past 15 years. ANACS coins can be ok. But most dealers (ie buyers) treat them as no different than raw coins. Most dealers will offer you next grade down pricing for your ANACS coin unless it's simply an astounding coin for the grade. But dealers will try to sell their ANACS and NGC coins to the public for nearly the same price as PCGS. There is also no way the coin market ranks NGC as higher than PCGS. I've been a fan of NGC since they first opened in 1987. And when I had more extensive coin holdings, 85% of my coins were NGC. But times change. The 2009-2010 market downturn and the advent of CAC has definitely hurt the NGC product when compared to PCGS. If ANACS coins carried full market standing and liquidty as the other leading grading services, then why doesn't CAC review these coins as well? Not a hard question to answer.

I'd stay with the top two if only for liquidity and saleability. In the same assigned grade the PCGS coin will always bring more money. And it is a much more liquid coin as well. When I was a dealer from 1988-2009 I always had to sell ANACS coins at considerable discounts (to other dealers). The 81-cc Morgan has a pretty tight spread from MS61 to MS64 grades. In this instance the holder is not that big a deal. It's also a very popular coin where the spread from raw to slabbed is not that large. The holder here means far less than in other situations. But if you have coins that double in price between grades and cost hundreds to thousands of dollars each, I'd choose PCGS or NGC for those.

The last time I had an ANACS coin (1842-0 sd quarter in Good 4 where I paid $675) I was unable to sell it for PCGS money. The coin was totally probably free, orig toned, full rims, choice for the grade with letters of "liberty" showing. Several dealers loved the coin and offered to pay me $750-$850 IF I got it into a PCGS holder. They could not use it in the ANACS holder unless I took a loss on it. When submitted to PCGS it came back a Good 6. It then became instantly saleable.
    Thanks for chiming in. From reading your previous posts, I can see you're in touch with the coin market pretty good. Your information carries a lot of weight with me.

Default Not for me

I have made a few mistakes with PMs but none worse than buying graded,slabbed coins. I really prefer bulk semi numis like Kooks, RCM privy coins etc. Everyone has a forte, slabbed coins is not mine.
    Last edited by SilverSal; 02-25-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction. Barack Hussein Obama Audacity of Hope Pages 260-261

Gold and Silver are money. everything else is credit"
    The Honorable J. P. Morgan

Numisgold said it about as well as could be put.. I dont agree with how the market works and the lack of respect for ANACS...I think ANACS coins are graded Very well to their true condition..on the buying end I have been happy...bought several PL morgans and ms/60-62 morgans for $45 only because ANACS HOLDERS..
    but if you have pre-33 Gold NGC is where I send. Very generous in their grading. Morgans go to pcgs.......and ICG not even in the thought process...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast