Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Palladium, flat line forever?

GG - you have a very narrow field of view.

Auto uses in china and india are growing exponentially. They don't allow any bicycles anymore in Beijing. They can't build drive thru's fast enough for the all the mcdonalds's over there... pretty soon the chinese and indian will be as fat as we are.

The rest of the world is rapidly industrializing and creating wealth. All those once impoverished people will soon be driving shiny new cars.

Quote Originally Posted by born2drv View Post
    GG - you have a very narrow field of view.

Auto uses in china and india are growing exponentially. They don't allow any bicycles anymore in Beijing. They can't build drive thru's fast enough for the all the mcdonalds's over there... pretty soon the chinese and indian will be as fat as we are.

The rest of the world is rapidly industrializing and creating wealth. All those once impoverished people will soon be driving shiny new cars.
    And then it'll be the Americans who are too thin. After a few hundred years, they'll have forgotten we exist. And a few hundred more after that, their naval vessels will discover America, full of broken down automobiles crudely converted into donkey pulled coaches. Sure, we'll welcome their SARS infested blankets!

Unless we get it together soon in this country we will be the biggest third world nation on the planet. We're already halfway there.

TOPIC REMINDER

Quote Originally Posted by Commoner View Post
    Am I the only one cheereing palladium on? I am convinced that one day it will be the PM that could, and it will. It will be the last to go, but when it does it will have a rate of change greater than any other PM. I must confess that I am glad that palladium is not my only investment -- more risk, more reward -- sometimes.
    Last edited by Cajus; 12-20-2006 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Reduce ugly big font size

I have always wondered when palladium will pass up gold in cost. I am seeing it used more as a low-cost platinum and it has a nice luster on some of the palladium coins I have (maples) -- so I expect it just need some more positive PR and some help from an ever-increasing platinum price.

Quote Originally Posted by rayzer View Post
    I have always wondered when palladium will pass up gold in cost. I am seeing it used more as a low-cost platinum and it has a nice luster on some of the palladium coins I have (maples) -- so I expect it just need some more positive PR and some help from an ever-increasing platinum price.
    If you look at the charts you can see that palladium has already surpassed gold (by a huge margin) a few times.

stillwater mine in montana (swc) controls a rare geological formation from which palladium is mined but also strategic or war minerals. stillwater's ceo has been promoting palladium as jewelry. palladium is already big in some overseas markets as jewelry. palladium is named after the goddess of wisdom. palladium can be substituted for platinum is catalytic converters.

i like palladium and i like swc as long term holds. palladium is a way to diversify a portfolio and yet still be invested in real stuff which can only go up in value during a monetary blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by ajnock View Post
    stillwater mine in montana (swc) controls a rare geological formation from which palladium is mined but also strategic or war minerals. stillwater's ceo has been promoting palladium as jewelry. palladium is already big in some overseas markets as jewelry. palladium is named after the goddess of wisdom. palladium can be substituted for platinum is catalytic converters.

i like palladium and i like swc as long term holds. palladium is a way to diversify a portfolio and yet still be invested in real stuff which can only go up in value during a monetary blizzard.
    Back in April of this year I bought a lot of SWC -- the hype was that it was going to be a better performer than PAL (North American Palladium), beliving that Palladium was going to take off. To hedge my bet I also bought an equal amount of PAL. My point is not that they haven't taken off yet, it is that they have almost exactly preformed the same: PAL down 32.4% and SWC down 31.5% (I did not buy them on the same day).

I'm glad you made this post, it has got me thinking about selling some of my under preforming tech stocks and getting some more PAL and SWC. Palladium will not stay down forever.

i don't listen to people like john mauldin who say never add to a losing position. so you are down 30% on swc then a positive way to look at it is you are scaling in or cost averaging or whatever. i like words but words can be twisted to mean just about anything. if you don't want to think of it as adding to a losing position then presto! its not.

maybe you are building a position.

i saw a report by frank veneroso about nuclear winter in base metals. he claims there are large supplies of palladium. so nothing is a sure deal.

if a girl goes into a store to buy milk and it is 30% off then she thinks she is getting a good deal. of course all the metals stocks were high in april. many are off by 30% since then. whether you made a good deal or a bad deal in april is a matter of perspective. it depends on the words in your mind and the meanings you attach to them.

ajnock: I am a no margin, no short, long kind of guy. Adding to a position that has gone down is my style, and it has paid off, just not as much as if the stock went stright up after buying. I love Palladium, but I realize that I am out on the edege with this stuff.

i like to bet on stocks that are under the radar so to speak

a stock in the same general theme as pal and swc that is under the radar is pawef - pacific northwest

stillwater just invested 2 million dollars

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast