Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Palladium, flat line forever?

Default Palladium, flat line forever?

Am I the only one cheereing palladium on? I am convinced that one day it will be the PM that could, and it will. It will be the last to go, but when it does it will have a rate of change greater than any other PM. I must confess that I am glad that palladium is not my only investment -- more risk, more reward -- sometimes.

Default Oops

Looks like I posted this one in the wrong forum thread -- sorry.

Commoner, Ive been thinking about it for a while... I believe the supply of palladium exceeded its demand again for the Um-teenth year straight. Also, Palladium is greatly controlled by the Russians, and if you can get into bed with the Russians you can get into bed with anyone, dont waste your time with small time PMs
    Ill do some research for the better part of this week and get back to you. I just wanted to respond quickly in hopes that you havent migrated to another forum or forgotten this thread.

Thanks H.P.

I'm a jeweler and a PM investor. 50% of my holdings in ounces for investment are now palladium.

Currently all my 14K white and ESPECIALLY 18K white gold jewelry stock is being converted over to palladium as I sell the white gold I'm replacing it with a 950 palladium-ruthenium alloy.

I'm probably one of the more forward thinking jewelers here in the US, and it will take anothing 10-20yrs for the majority of jewelers to jump on the PD bandwagon, but it's already started. Leading casting companies are already advertising the fact they now cast in palladium in trade magazines, trade shows, etc. Most designers of jewelry are now willing to try palladium alloys for customers that request it, etc. A few other jewelry stores like mine are also making the change, especially for bridal jewelry which is usually made to order as opposed to more fashion type jewelry you buy as-is from a designer. We're the small minority, but it is catching on.

The benefits are there. I'm personally sick of my customers coming back to me in a year or two and asking why their white gold jewelry looks yellow. Then I have to explain to them it's rhodium plated and they have to get it touched up from time to time to keep it's whiteness, etc. This is both costly for them and for me. When I explain to my customers the benefits of platinum they want a pure white metal instead of a yellow metal alloyed whiter and plated white, but some can't afford 950PT alloys. That's where 950PD shines.

PD is a little over 1/2 the volumetric weight of PT, so 1oz of PD makes about double the rings as PT. And the cost is 1/3 of PT per oz making it roughly 5-6x cheaper then PT. (roughly the same cost as 14K alloys). Add in the labor and it's about 4.5-5x cheaper then PT. So the cost is right, the metal is bright white, it can be alloyed tougher and suitable for use in jewelry, etc.

PD is taking off like hotcakes in japan, china, etc... where they only buy precious metals in high purity for jewelry. It's just a matter of time until it works it's way over to the US. I give it another 5-10 yrs until it starts becoming more mainstream.

Add in all the rapid industrialization and wealth creating across the globe for under-developed countries where they will all be needing a shiney new car soon, and you see PD has only one way to go, and that's way up.
    Last edited by born2drv; 11-21-2006 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks for the informative post. It's always interesting to read from people who actually work with the metal.

It sure looks like a nice flag but it is having trouble to clearly break to the up side... Lots of hesitation.

If other PM remain bullish, I guess we can expect palladium to trade above 400 within 6 months.

(edit: I'll post a better chart later)

It's only a matter of time for the jewelry industry. Two tone jewelry is the perfect example. If anyone has ever seen a piece of 2-tone jewelry (white/yellow) in 14K gold where the white hasn't been plated, and they're both buffed to a high polish finish, it can be very hard to discern between the white and the yellow parts.

And to rhodium plate the white portions of the two tone jewelry is expensive because you need a rhodium pen and need to carefully touch it up. You can't just dip the whole item in rhodium to get plated. That's why most two tone jewelry is either left in it's natural state (and doen't have a very good color contrast).

The best way to go is to make 18K yellow gold + 950 platinum for two tone jewelry, you get a nice contrast of color, no need to plate anything, etc. Of course this is very expensive. but 18K yellow gold + 950 palladium, or 14K yellow gold + 950 palladium looks fantastic.

The demand for cheaper alloys in the US is huge. Just look at the popularity recently of all the non-precious metal alloys... stainless steel, titanium, tungsten, etc.. No one made jewelry in these metals before. But the public wants jewelry that costs less. Silver is gaining popularity too due to the explosion in cost of PM's, but it tarnishes. Palladium fills that gap between Silver and Platinum very nicely.

Anyhow I could go on and on about palladium I'm having a wonderful two tone 18K yellow + 950 palladium ring made as we speak, I'll post some pics of it in about a week or so!

EDIT: Woops I forgot to attach the picture of the finished piece as promised. Here it is ......... 950 Palladium + 18K yellow gold bezel around the center stone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by born2drv; 03-04-2007 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks for the imformative look into the uses of palladium in jewelry

Though world demand for palladium jumped in 2004, supplies also increased due to rising mine production, the release of metals from stocks, and greater recovery of palladium from scrapped autocatalysts. The palladium market, therefore, is projected to continue in surplus. In light of this, the prospect of a sustained rally in the palladium price appears to be remote, unless there is further substantial speculative buying.
    Palladium Sources & Uses in 2004

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast