Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody stacking Jefferson Nickels?

Yup, I stack em by the $100 dollar box. Makes for relatively easy stacking considering amount and weight. I save all my lose copper pennies and nickels from my day to day transactions as well, but that is merely chump change. De minimus I know, but adding to the stack is adding to the stack.
    "Failing to Prepare is Preparing to Fail." John R. Wooden

I have around $220 of nickels right now. I'm going to add about $6 a week until the nickel is discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEYMOUNTAIN View Post
    Yup, I stack em by the $100 dollar box. Makes for relatively easy stacking considering amount and weight. I save all my lose copper pennies and nickels from my day to day transactions as well, but that is merely chump change. De minimus I know, but adding to the stack is adding to the stack.
    So do you buy them at the bank? I've never done such a thing, but I'm thinking of doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by silverflood View Post
    So do you buy them at the bank? I've never done such a thing, but I'm thinking of doing the same.
    Yep - just go in and ask for a box of nicks.

Quote Originally Posted by silverflood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by agmoose View Post
    Yep - just go in and ask for a box of nicks.
    Yup. You do get funny looks from the tellers and the customers but you get used to it. Whenever an inquisitive teller asks what I need a box of nickels for, I throw in a shrug and just say, "I lost a bet."

They just smile and nod.
    "Failing to Prepare is Preparing to Fail." John R. Wooden

Stacking nickels makes a hell of a lot more sense than buying copper bullion rounds and it's a lot easier than sorting pennies. I will get a box or two

stubbed my toe on my bleeping nickel hoard last night
    Retired in 2009 at 39 years old, what day is today

When I'm asked at the bank for my typical request of 10 rolls of nickels and 20 rolls of pennies, my response is usually, "I'm hosting a high stakes poker game." I've only been asked a few times over many years. Most bank employees know that anyone's business there outside of giving/taking paper/coins is none of their business.

Even stacking US nickels up north. I get 1 or 2 each roll on average.

One of the useless pieces of information that I ran across concerning nickels is that a .30cal ammo box will hold $188 in nickels and will stop a .30cal round. The odd thing about this useless fact that I've always wondered about is how someone came to know that fact and then passed it on.

I too store nickels and from time to time I do go through a box to see if I can find any silver nickels. I also break down the remaining nickels by decade. The odd thing that I'm finding is that I have found very few nickels prior to 1960. Maybe 3 or 4 rolls at best.
    $x2

I'm just a poor way faring stranger traveling through a world of woe.

Never look back, something may be gaining on you. Run like the devil himself is back there, and may you be in heaven long before he catches up.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast