Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody stacking Jefferson Nickels?

Question Anybody stacking Jefferson Nickels?

Ive heard that Jefferson nickels have a melt value of 6 cents now. IF this is true are people hoarding them now in hopes of melting for profit or is that illegal?
    ================================
    "A SILVER quarter still buys a gallon of gasoline".

I got about $120 worth I keep in an ammo can but I don't buy bricks or boxes at a time. What the heck, If nothing else I consider it "forced" savings".

Quote Originally Posted by hifisapi View Post
    Ive heard that Jefferson nickels have a melt value of 6 cents now.
    The current December 4th metal value of 1946-2012 Jefferson nickels is “$0.0515300” or 103.06% of face value, according to the “United States Circulating Coinage Intrinsic Value Table” at Coinflation.com.

Quote Originally Posted by hifisapi View Post
    IF this is true are people hoarding them now in hopes of melting for profit or is that illegal?
    People invest in cupronickel-alloy Jefferson nickels because they are safe-haven coins.

The law, against melting Jefferson nickels, will not be in place forever.
    Last edited by dpwozney; 12-04-2012 at 07:49 AM.

Default the non-melting pot

The value is in the metal and needs no melting or refining to be realized. In fact, you would have much more verifiable content & purity by refraining from melting IMO.

The nickels will trade much like 90% silver and copper pennies do now.
    files away sharp edges
    untangles knots
    softens the glare
    mingles with the dust

-LaoTzu

Default Wealth/gold/silver/nickel/copper

As my gold is there to protect my wealth (small as it may be) my silver is there to protect my gold and my nickels are there to protect my silver.

Let me explain. My hord of nickels (about thirty boxes) are to be used in barter when everything comes crashing down. The last thing I will want to do is break out and flash around a ASE when people are swapping tomatoes for potatoes at the farmers market. But a hand full of real value nickles will be worth something. In the days of MadMax and Thunderdome, people will need metal coins to give change. Think about it. Change makes commerce. How do you make change when a gold coin is worth 35000 dollars! You don't. Gold will only be worth spending on land. The silver is to be spent on guns or ammo. Nickels on food and seeds. (anyone stacking seeds)

Pray God, nickels are never worth more than 5 cents.

Want to see a scary movie! See "The Road"

I was considering stacking nickles. But if I were too for melt value, the Canadian Nickles would be better. They contain more nickle. But if I stack everything that everyone say to stack in case of when the SHTF then I will have tens of thousands of dollars in gold, silver, nickle and copper coins and not a damn place to keep them all.
    Last edited by atlas mike; 12-04-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by atlas mike View Post
    I was considering stacking nickles. But if I were too for melt value, the Canadian Nickles would be better. They contain more nickle. But if I stack everything that everyone say to stack in case of when the SHTF then I will have tens of thousands of dollars in gold, silver, nickle and copper coins and not a damn place to keep them all.
    Canadians need to be sorted. But it's worth it to get .999 nickel bullion.

[QUOTE=dpwozney;1856695]The current December 4th metal value of 1946-2012 Jefferson nickels is “$0.0515300” or 103.06% of face value, according to the “United States Circulating Coinage Intrinsic Value Table” at Coinflation.com.

QUOTE]

I don't understand why anyone would stack nickels when the return on copper pennies is so much better??
    -If the man doesn't believe as we do, we say he is a crank, and that settles it. I mean, it does nowadays, because now we can't burn him.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by model77 View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would stack nickels when the return on copper pennies is so much better??
    Perhaps they do not want to bother with sorting pennies, and in the case of deflation, can easily take the nickels back to a bank? Unlike silver coins or gold coins, nickels can easily be obtained and spent or returned without paying any markup, fees or commissions.

Also, some people may choose to do both. Nickels can complement copper pennies.

With nickels, larger amounts of money can be involved, and more quickly. Nickels can also be held on a probable temporary basis, either short-term, intermediate-term or long-term.

Another scenario could involve someone in Canada who finds U.S. Mint nickels in about 1% to 2% of nickels in circulation.
    Last edited by dpwozney; 12-21-2012 at 02:15 AM.

[QUOTE=model77;1868016]
    Quote Originally Posted by dpwozney View Post
    The current December 4th metal value of 1946-2012 Jefferson nickels is “$0.0515300” or 103.06% of face value, according to the “United States Circulating Coinage Intrinsic Value Table” at Coinflation.com.

QUOTE]

I'd have to say because of storage issues and the fact that the nickel is still produced, you don't have to sort anything.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast