Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Factual evidence to the true state of the economy

Default Factual evidence to the true state of the economy

Does anyone remember when this was posted a while back? I take this as evidence that the recession is still heading in the downward direction. Someone posted this when it was showing our usage of gasoline to be 30% lower and what a shock that was then. We are now using the same amount of gasoline as we did pre-1985. That's almost half as much as we used from 2000-2008. Half. Let this sink in.
    Last edited by coloredcoat; 10-05-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: clarity/spelling

Default Timeline perspective

Attachment 18329

If you look at the price increases of gasoline around the time of the Great Depression and the increases from the late 70's to middle 80's, the current increases in price of gasoline look a lot worse.
    Last edited by coloredcoat; 02-16-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coloredcoat View Post
    Does anyone remember when this was posted a while back? I take this as evidence that the recession is still heading in the downward direction. Someone posted this when it was showing our usage of gasoline to be 30% lower and what a shock that was then. We are now using the same amount of gasoline as we did pre-1985. That's almost half as much as we used from 2000-2008. Half. Let this sink in.
    The administration will say that the chart doesn't reflect the economy, but that Cash 4 Clunkers worked. It should be adjusted for amount of drivers b/c then it would look a lot worse, since there are a lot more drivers today compared to 1983.

my father was born in 1925, and I was born in 1961

my father told me that during the depression gasoline was 10 cents a gallon

when I started driving in 1976 gasoline was 25 cents a gallon

I'm glad things are getting better, LOL ................

Default another thought

One thing I hadn't thought of that is actually a positive spin on these facts: Nothing extremely challenging has changed that I can tell about driving in the US. I mean, I still see 4,000 pound monster cars at 75 mph carrying exactly one person who is texting as they drive insanely to work in the mornings on the road. So for the price of gas being a bit high, it sure hasn't changed a whole lot from what was normal before. For there to be 50% less gasoline refined and sold, it sure is hard to tell from the driving habits I still see everyday.

And that is a good thing. It means a lot of of the gasoline that was sloshing around before was not tied into something crucial to life as we know it. I'm remembering the scare tactics used by the Peak Oil crowd that "demand is inelastic." Well this chart of gasoline shows just the opposite. Demand can be very elastic with no discernible change in driving equipment, speeds or habits. I'm guessing a lot of driving from 1985-2008 was just frivolous, so cutting it out isn't hurting anyone. I still think there is plenty of room to cut out even more frivolous driving based on what I see.

Anyway, just another thought to add to the pile. I'm still a little shocked by the fact that the US is using half the gasoline they used to, and TEOTWAWKI isn't even on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by gold skool View Post
    my father was born in 1925, and I was born in 1961

my father told me that during the depression gasoline was 10 cents a gallon

when I started driving in 1976 gasoline was 25 cents a gallon

I'm glad things are getting better, LOL ................
    If you look at that inflation corrected price chart, price was bottomed out somewhere in the early 1970's, and again in the late 1990's. Another thing I didn't think of until now is, the price of gas didn't go up nearly as much during the Great Depression compared to the price spikes in the 1980's and now simply because so few people relied on cars back then. The dramatic price spike recently is twice as big as the one in the 80's and 4x bigger than the price spike in the Great Depression.

And even with all the price spiking recently, people are still driving like mad everywhere for everything with one person in the car most of the time. So, epic times we are in, and yet, very much is business as usual. I just thought it was very instructive to see the price corrected to inflation coupled with the huge(50%) drop in gasoline usage in the last 4 years.

yes, most Americans believe they are entitled to everything the world has to offer; even cheap 1 million year old carbon based fuels.

we live in a world where most people have the so-called entitlement mentality; we feel as if the world owes US everything, even if we deserve it, or not.

we run around all the time burning every drop we can afford, just like there is no tomorrow.
    One day, there won't be any tomorrow .............. and the price will be great ..............

Quote Originally Posted by gold skool View Post
    yes, most Americans believe they are entitled to everything the world has to offer; even cheap 1 million year old carbon based fuels.

we live in a world where most people have the so-called entitlement mentality; we feel as if the world owes US everything, even if we deserve it, or not.

we run around all the time burning every drop we can afford, just like there is no tomorrow.
    One day, there won't be any tomorrow .............. and the price will be great ..............
    That is why it is important to develop green energy while we have the time, it does not matter which political spectrum you belong too it is still a smart thing to do.

Default Technology

We have been offered advanced technology from an alien civilization. The .gov has possession of this advanced technological marvel. While on active duty with the Air Force I managed to make contact with this alien civilization. The signal sent to the earth is in this link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow!_signal

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdog View Post
    That is why it is important to develop green energy while we have the time, it does not matter which political spectrum you belong too it is still a smart thing to do.
    Ya, it's so vital we turn it over to the government energy dept to develop green energy, and we got what we deserved, total failure.

When it's VIABLE it will be done, not before. There would be none of those big wind generators anywhere except for the tax credits subsidizing this foolishness. It all comes out of the taxpayers pockets.

All the government has done is spend a ridiculous amount on Solyndra-type ventures that went bankrupt, and Chevy Volts that only other government agencies buy.

It's all supply and demand. When the supply of oil starts to dry up, people will drive less, drive more efficient vehicles and use alternative sources. But creating things they don't want or need, is utter foolishness. The kind of foolishness only the government can afford to consume.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast